web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » D » DERBYPHOTOS.CO.UK

Total: 588

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Westfield Derby Shopping Centre Photographs. Derby's new shopping mall.
    park on the roof It also has an 800 seater food court On the very top of the shopping centre is the 30m UK s first Showcase Cinema de Lux cinema which opened in May 2008 It has 12 screens 2 of which are Directors Halls This new shopping centre opened to public about 8 15am with shops opening every now and then through out the day The new Marks Spencer store was opened by Marion Brown who has worked at M S in Derby for 42 years since leaving school at the age of 15 The Mall was officially opened by Tess Daly the Strictly Come Dancing star declared Westfield Derby officially open at 12 15pm on Tuesday 9th October 2007 The photographs below were taken by me on the opening day and show you how large this shopping mall is If you have broadband then you can also watch my video tour of Westfield Derby Shopping Centre Photo selection To view large versions of any of the photographs below simply click on a thumbnail DP 051007WESTF 001 DP 091007WESTF 002 DP 091007WESTF 003 DP 091007WESTF 004 DP 091007WESTF 005 DP 051007WESTF 006 DP 091007WESTF 007 DP 091007WESTF 008

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_city/westfield/index.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Allestree, Derby, England - Photographs and History
    most of Allestree passed from the Mundays of Markeaton Hall to the Evans of Darley Abbey The Evans were early industrial entrepreneurs and had cotton mills at Darley Abbey see HERE where many Allestree people worked Allestree is now one of 15 conservation areas in Derby The North side of Allestree on Cornhill shows 7 listed buildings 6 are statutory listed and 1 is locally listed The earliest of these is believed to be 16th century although much altered and restored For a map of the Allestree area click HERE For an Aerial photo with overlay map click HERE Photo Description St Edmund s church Image Reference No DP 220202ALLES 01 Exact Map location Click HERE Date photo taken 22nd February 2002 Other Information This is the church of St Edmund which is located on St Edmunds close A lot of it was rebuilt in 1865 6 by Stevens and Robinson of Derby but it retained the low 13th century tower and a Norman doorway There are several memorials here from the 17th and 18th centuries to the Mundy s of Markeaton and the Evans and Johnsons of Allestree Hall Photo Description Old village water pump Image Reference No DP 220202ALLES 02 Date photo taken 22nd February 2002 Other Information This village water pump is an early 19th Century cast iron pump with basin hollowed out of a sandstone block The pump is encased in wood This item is Grade II listed Photo Description Yew Tree cottage Image Reference No DP 220202ALLES 03 Date photo taken 22nd February 2002 Other Information Th is nice looking thatched cottage is on Cornhill Called Yew Tree Cottage this is the only timber framed and thatched roof building left in the area and is a 17th Century building and is grade II listed Photo Description The Red Cow Image Reference No DP 220202ALLES 04 Date photo taken 22nd February 2002 Other Information Th is is the Red Cow pub on Kings Croft Photos of Allestree Park Derby Allestree Park is exceptionally scenic and comprises a mixture of woodland open parkland a lake a hall and a golf course The park dates from the end of the 18th century when the present hall a Grade 2 listed building was built By the 1930 s after a succession of owners a developer who had hoped to build 2000 houses and a golf course bought the land and the hall The golf course and some houses on the edge of the park were in place at the start of the Second World war The army then requisitioned the park and hall After the war ownership passed to Derby Corporation now the City Council who continue to preserve the park for the people of Derby The lake is split into 2 parts and is very popular with anglers The path around it is easily negotiated and signposts point out places of interest Wildlife is abundant A one and a half mile long nature trail follows an easy reasonably

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/allestree.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Allenton, Derby, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    was visited by Neville Chamberlain to view the first iron framed houses to be put up in the country There were 250 of them Gone but not forgotten On the corner of Stamford street and Osmaston Road once stood the Allenton cinema designed by T H Thorpe of Derby It opened on the 17th December 1928 with the film Charley s aunt It had a seating capacity of 670 The cinema was renamed the Broadway cinema in 1939 It closed on the 24th September 1960 and was demolished in 1961 and Fine Fare supermarket was built on the location Pubs The Mitre pub was built in stockbroker s Tudor style designed by T H Thorpe for Zachary Smiths brewery Shardlow and opened in 1930 The Crown inn was built by Isaac Allen in 1891 at a cost of 1200 The Ossified remains of the hippopotamus were discovered in April 1895 whilst a well was being dug on the premises Sir Henry Bemrose managed to obtain them for the Derby museum where they are still on display Schools The first school in Allenton was built in 1880 on the corner of Allen Street and Poole Street today this is an Allenton infants school Allenton Junior School opened on 27 Aug 1928 It was demolished around 1992 Allenton Senior School in Brookhouse Street opened in 1935 and was demolished in 1989 and replaced with Allenton Community Primary School Derby Canal Along the East side of Allenton once ran the Derby Canal which opened in 1796 The former Derby canal traveled north from Shelton lock and under Boulton lane bridge under Bracken s lane bridge and under Harvey road bridge on its way upto Crewton Today all that can be seen of the Derby canal is a cycle path but this will be restored by the Derby and Sandiacre Canal Society over the next few years so that once again narrow boats will be seen navigating through Allenton Maps For a local map of the Allenton area click HERE For a aerial photo with overlayed map click HERE Photo Description Allenton shopping area Image Reference No DP 240103ALLEN 01 Exact Map location Click HERE Date photo taken 24th January 2003 Other Information This is a very wide angle shot of the main shopping area of Allenton taken from the Spider bridge Photo Description Spider Bridge view 1 Looking east Image Reference No DP 240103ALLEN 02 Date photo taken 24th January 2003 Other Information This is Harvey road A5111 looking east in the direction of Alvaston Photo Description Spider Bridge view 2 Looking south Image Reference No DP 240103ALLEN 03 Date photo taken 24th January 2003 Other Information This is Osmaston road A514 looking south in the direction of Allenton Shelton lock Photo Description Spider Bridge view 3 Looking west Image Reference No DP 240103ALLEN 04 Date photo taken 24th January 2003 Other Information This is Osmaston park road A5111 looking west in the direction of Sinfin Moorways sports centre is located on the

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/allenton.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Alvaston and Crewton, Derby, Derbyshire - Photographs and History
    2nd 1925 and closed in October 1966 when it became a Bingo hall The cinema had a capacity of 650 and a unique entrance through laurels and rhododendrons flanked by iron railings on either side The building was demolished in July 1983 after several fires the area is now a modern car showroom Photo Description Blue Peter pub Image Reference No DP 020801ALVAS 01 Date photo taken 2nd August 2001 Other Information This is the Blue Peter Pub which was opened in January 1935 and is of an identical design to the Blue Pool and Blue Boy pubs Designed by George Morley Eaton Photo Description St Michael All Angels church Image Reference No DP 020801ALVAS 02 Date photo taken 2nd August 2001 Other Information This is Saint Michael All Angels church on Alvaston street In the mid 14th Century an Anglo Saxon church stood here but the one we see here today was rebuilt in 1857 by Henry Isaac Stevens Photo Description The Round House pub Image Reference No DP 020801ALVAS 03 Date photo taken 2nd August 2001 Other Information This is the Round House pub at 1196 London Road Corner of Brighton Road Built in 1891 it has a distinctive curved structure and still has the orignal iron decorations on the roof Originally built as the Alvaston Hotel by the Alton s it was designed by Naylor Sale It was renamed the round house in 1995 Photo Description The Toll house Image Reference No DP 011102ALVAS 04 Date photo taken 1st November 2002 Other Information This unusual looking building on London road near Meadow Lane is an old Toll house now used as offices for ASG Photo Description The Monkey Puzzle tree Image Reference No DP 151102ALVAS 05 Date photo taken 15th November 2002 Other Information This strange looking tree on the corner of London road Curzon Lane is a monkey puzzle tree it was planted in 1934 by Mr George Cope of Alvaston a local butcher His parents owned lived in the house There is also one three doors down from it Photo Description Mobile home park Image Reference No DP 151102ALVAS 06 Date photo taken 15th November 2002 Other Information This small community of mobile homes off Meadow lane is a residential park which belongs to the charles simpson org See their website here Photos of Alvaston Park Derby Derbyshire England Alvaston Park is another popular public park in Derby This one has it s own lake which has lots of ducks and geese The park also boasts a BMX track and a bowling green The River Derwent runs along the back of the park In early 2003 a skateboard park was built here Parking for the park is located in front of the park on London road or in the main car park near the bowling green which is accessible via Meadow Lane to the east of the park The lake used to be fed from a stream on the south side of the lake The

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/alvaston.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Rowditch & California areas, Derby, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    right side were built in the last few years to cope with the influx of students coming to Derby university Junction street is on the right ahead where the scaffolding on the houses ends Photo Description Church on Uttoxeter old road Image Reference No DP 210601ROWDITCH 03 Date photo taken 21st June 2001 Other Information This is Uttoxeter road junction Baptist church and is located at Rowditch where Uttoxeter old road meets Uttoxeter new road Photo Description Old shops at top of Uttoxeter old road Image Reference No DP 130701ROWDITCH 04 Date photo taken 13th July 2001 Other Information These old shops next to the church were built around 1860 The pub to the left of this photo is the Rowditch inn and is located HERE Photo Description Old shop sign uncovered Image Reference No DP 130701ROWDITCH 05 Date photo taken 13th July 2001 Other Information This corner shop on Hoult street Uttoxeter new road has for several years been boarded up and before that it was Martins Leathers shop Today the boards and new frontage have been removed as it is converted to I am computer shop and you can see the original shop sign Cleaners HOME SERVICE Launderers Do you remember what this was The limestone on this building reads west mount villas Photo Description Former R Rowleys Co Mill Image Reference No DP 020603ROWDITCH 07 Date photo taken 2nd June 2003 Other Information Located on Uttoxeter Road this four storey building was built by Rowleys hosiery manufacturers in the 1890 s It was built adjacent to Higginbothams Alexandra Mill on Great Northern Road which you can see in the left background Rowleys acquired Alexandra mill in 1910 Both Mills were demolished in late 2003 to have housing built on the land Photo Description Former Alexandra Mill Image Reference No DP 181203ROWDITCH 08 Date photo taken 18th December 2003 Other Information Located on Great Northern Road this three storey building was built by William Higginbotham inthe 1860 s Higginbotham expanded from silk throwing to elastic web manufacturing when he developed this complex This mill was aquired by Rowleys in 1910 Here we see it during demolision weeks later it had gone forever Photo Description Derby Business centre Image Reference No DP 020303ROWDITCH 06 Exact Map Location Click HERE Date photo taken 2nd March 2003 Other Information This building was built in 1851 to the designs of Henry Isacc Stevens of Derby It was built as a Diocesan Training college The building was extended between 1899 and 1913 It is located opposite the cemetery You can see the ornate chimneys and tower for miles around here Photo Description Old Cemetery on Uttoxeter new road Boundary road Image Reference No DP 210601ROWDITCH 07 Date photo taken 21st June 2001 Other Information This is one of Derby s oldest cemeteries which is haunted Photos of California Derby Derbyshire England California is located around the back area of Uttoxeter new road It s boundaries are not too clear Photo Description Bemrose school

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_p_z/rowditch.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Chaddesden, Derby, England - Photographs and History
    was rebuilt by Henry Chaddesden Archdeacon of Leicester around 1357 and the tall and spacious chancel running from its nave and aisle dates from this period It west tower is Perpendicular in style with its big west door and window Restoration work on the chancel was carried out in 1857 by G Place There are monuments to the Wilmot family who were local landlords The Wilmot family lived at Chaddesden Hall which was demolished in the 1920 s when the Wilmot family sold its estate The grounds are a well used park which contains a paddling pool and children s play area as well as facilities for sports like cricket and golf Derby acquired much of the land when it came up for sale and started to build houses on it The shopping area on Nottingham Road was developed around the same time as was the then Chaddesden Park Hotel St Marks Church in Francis Street was built in 1938 by Naylor Sale and St Philips Church in Taddington Road was built in 1954 55 by S W Milburn to service an ever expanding population Chaddesden soon becoming the largest suburb of Derby The lodge and the entrance to the cemetery on Nottingham Road was designed by H I Stevens around 1854 Nottingham Road Fire Station Chaddesden This station was built in 1951 and will be demolished in February 2007 It will be replaced with a more modern fire station costing 2m The current Fire station houses one fire engine and is staffed by 28 firefighters the replacement will be much better equipped Photo Description Chaddesden Parish church St Mary the Virgin Image Reference No DP 010302CHADD 01 Exact Map location Click HERE Date photo taken 1st March 2002 Other Information Most of the church dates from a rebuilding in

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/chaddesden.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Darley Abbey, Derby, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    They built Saint Mathews church in 1819 and Saint Mathews School in 1826 The mills were sold by the Evans family in 1903 The paper mill on the village side of the river was demolished in 1934 but all other buildings remain They are now used by businesses Photo Description The Darley Abbey pub Image Reference No DP 040701DRLYA 01 Exact map location Click HERE Date photo taken 4th July 2001 Other Information This is the Darley Abbey pub One of the oldest buildings in Darley Abbey It became a pub in 1980 Photo Description Poplar road and New road Image Reference No DP 040701DRLYA 02 Date photo taken 4th July 2001 Other Information These three storey houses were built around 1790 for the mill workers Photo Description The long weir Image Reference No DP 040701DRLYA 03 Date photo taken 4th July 2001 Other Information This is one of the long weirs at Darley Abbey Photo Description The riverside garden Image Reference No DP 040701DRLYA 04 Date photo taken 4th July 2001 Other Information This nice little garden is next to the river derwent with the weir just in front and the mill buildings in the distance Photo Description The Boar s head cotton mill Image Reference No DP 040701DRLYA 05 Date photo taken 4th July 2001 Other Information These buildings are the old mills the nearest one is now Darley s restaurant or Darleys Resturant The bridge is one of Derby s old Toll bridges These buildings were built in 1782 The family crest of the Evans family who founded the mill at Darley Abbey is on a charger a boars head erased argent Thomas Evans named the mill the Boar s Head and used as its trade mark a boar s head The trade mark was to become

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/darley.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Photographs of Kingsway, Derby, England
    retail park was built on what was once a waste tip this is why the car park has lots of strange rotating globes on lampposts scattered around to vent off any gas that might build up Lovely thought Over the last few years this retail park has expanded a lot At the bottom of the road access road is a round a bout where you can go left to get to Sainsbury s Petrol Station car wash jet wash vacuum recycling Sainsbury s Restaurant Sainsbury s Homebase If you turn right at the round a bout then you enter the newer part of the retail park which has B Q Powerhouse Comet SCS Boots Harveys Halfords M S Simply Food Lidl closed down early 2006 Part way up the access road is Currys At the entrance to the retail park is Travel Lodge and The King s Highway pub It is quite a spacious pub which opened August 1990 It used to have a lawn at the back but a Travelodge was built on in this in 2000 The Kingsway road was built in 1930 as part of the Derby Arterial Road ring road and was named after George V

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_i_o/kingsway.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-16