web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » D » DERBYPHOTOS.CO.UK

Total: 588

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Breadsall, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    photo taken 19th May 2004 Other Information This is a view of the church taken from Moor Road Photo Description All Saints church back view Image Reference No DP 140504BREADSALL 13 Date photo taken 14th May 2004 Other Information This is a view of the church taken from the graveyard at the back of the church Photo Description Breadsall Old hall Image Reference No DP 140504BREADSALL 12 Date photo taken 14th May 2004 Other Information This is Breadsall Old Hall a medieval building It was formerly the residence of the Harpur family It has been used for many things of the years such as hunting lodge school public house shop rectory and village hall Photo Description Breadsall War Memorial Image Reference No DP 140504BREADSALL 11 Date photo taken 14th May 2004 Other Information This is a close up view of the war memorial commemorating those who lost their lives in the first world war Photo Description Breadsall Village view 2 Image Reference No DP 140504BREADSALL 02 Date photo taken 14th May 2004 Other Information This is a wide view of Church Lane and Brookside Road The road to Breadsall Priory is to the left Photo Description Breadsall Village Shop Image Reference No DP 140504BREADSALL 01 Date photo taken 14th May 2004 Other Information This is the recently re opened village shop on Rectory Lane There has been a shop here for over a hundred years It closed in Jan 2003 and remained closed for 17 months It was re opened on 11th May 2004 much to the delight of local residents as this is the only shop in Breadsall It will also offer post office counter service by June 8th 2004 The local church magazine The Breadsall Venture can be picked up from this shop Photo Description Breadsall Village view 1 Image Reference No DP 140504BREADSALL 03 Date photo taken 14th May 2004 Other Information This is a view of Rectory lane with Breadsall Village shop Photo Description Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Image Reference No DP 140504BREADSALL 09 Date photo taken 14th May 2004 Other Information This is a former Wesleyan Chapel on Brookside road now a private house Photo Description Windmill pub Image Reference No DP 140504BREADSALL 08 Date photo taken 14th May 2004 Other Information This is the Windmill public house on Mansfield road Breadsall Hill top It was built in the late 18th Century today it is officially in Oakwood but at the time it was in Breadsall There is also a pub called Paddock on Mansfield road which was built in 1987 Photo Description The Old Village School Image Reference No DP 140504BREADSALL 06 Date photo taken 14th May 2004 Other Information This is Breadsall C of E Primary School on Moor road It was built in 1837 by George Crewe and paid for by Sir John Harpur Crewe Photo Description School House Image Reference No DP 140504BREADSALL 10 Date photo taken 14th May 2004 Other Information This is School House on Moor road which was built

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/breadsall.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Milton, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    land between the Burdett and Harpur Crewe families and the purchase by the Burdetts of other lands in Milton between 1821 and 1826 Milton remained in the possession of the Burdetts until the death of Sir Francis when the estate was sold to the Prudential Insurance Company who in turn sold it in 1943 to the present owners the Church Commissioners for England Two words feature prominently throughout the history of Milton Hamlet and Farming Alongside the farms were the associated activities such as butchery tanning and in the 1850s there were still 2 cornmills A slaughterhouse was in business at what is now Old Post Office Farm from the 1850s until the early 1900s and there was also a bakehouse The post office closed in the mid 1960s but the village has retained the red telephone kiosk The 3 storey brick farmhouses and accompanying farm buildings that dominate the conservation area of the village today were built in the late 18th century In 1890 a timber framed Mission Room was built for religious services and is still used as the Village Hall At the end of the 19th century Milton Old Waterworks were built and a fishery established to the South of Mill Farm The waterworks have since been replaced and the fishery no longer exists Many changes to buildings took place in the 20th century and life was greatly improved with the arrival of electricity in 1931 and the provision of mains water supply to dwellings that was completed in 1950 water previously being provided by 2 public taps The final installation of mains sewerage to all households took place in 1970 doing away with the weekly collection of sewerage by the Council New properties have been built and conversions made of redundant farms and buildings Today there are 2 working farms both belonging to the estate There are 5 Grade II listed buildings including a dovecote which was one of only 16 in Derbyshire when it was built in 1766 The Swan public house still provides a warm welcome to local people and visitors Although the village has seen many changes in the last century it still has a very rural character with its one main street and the many paths initially used for the movement of cattle and sheep have become public footpaths and bridle paths to provide pleasant walks for residents and visitors The Coach House was turned into a Restaurant Pub around about 1969 70 and renamed It was reverted back to private ownership in 2000 It also went back to its original name Bramcote Lodge which is the name it had when it was built as part of the Burdett estate The village has an original classic red phone box on Main street which was given a grade II listing in January 2005 Maps For a local map of the Milton area click HERE For a aerial photo with overlayed map click HERE G oogle Streetview has captured Milton as you can see

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_i_o/milton.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Smalley, Derbyshire, England - Photographs & History
    dam Bell lane is so called because of the bell pits where once miners dug coal for Abbot of Chester in medieval times before Henry VIII took away the lands of the monasteries The house on the corner of Bell lane stands on the site of the first Bell inn where miners quench their thirst The Smalley Dam was created at the end of the 18th century by John Redford of nearby Smalley Hall the High Sheriff of Derbyshire During the 20th century it became silted up after years of neglect The Smalley Community Project took on the task of its restoration and removing of silt Gradually the area presented by its owner to the village in 1990 In the main part of the village lookout for a milepost on the ground this is an original cast iron milepost put in position in 1764 when the Derby Mansfield road turnpiked There are estimated to be 7 000 milestones in the UK 250 of which are to be found in Derbyshire Smalley has two village pubs The Bell inn and the Nag s head both located on Main road Maps For a local map of the Smalley area click HERE For a aerial photo with overlayed map click HERE If you would like to buy a newly published book on Smalley then please visit the website HERE for more details Photo Description Smalley village view Image Reference No DP 130603SMALL 01 Date photo taken 13th June 2003 Other Information This is a view looking north on Main street On the left of the photo is Smalley church hall The building was formerly the girls and infants school built in 1848 by the national society on land given by Degge Sitwell of Stainsby It has been used as the village hall since 1968 when it was given to the church by the late Mrs H R Edwards of Smalley Hall Photo Description The Radford cottages Image Reference No DP 130603SMALL 02 Date photo taken 13th June 2003 Other Information These fine looking stone cottages on Main road were erected by the Radfords of Smalley Photo Description Saint John the baptist church Exact Map Location Click HERE Image Reference No DP 130603SMALL 03 Date photo taken 13th June 2003 Other Information Smalley church is dedicated to St John the baptist The present building dates from the 18th century with later additions The tower was erected in 1912 to house the five bells given by the Rev Charles Kerry In the churchyard stands a Yew tree which is estimated to be 700 800 years old beneath which lies the grave of Rev Charles Kerry who died in 1908 Photo Description Smalley Baptist Church Image Reference No DP 130603SMALL 09 Date photo taken 13th June 2003 Other Information This Baptist church was founded in 1790 enlarged in 1820 and a gallery added The Baptistery was constructed in 1852 A schoolroom was built in 1903 Until the Baptistery was built candidates would have been baptised at

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_p_z/smalley.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • 2004 Ashbourne Royal Shrovetide football - Photographs
    teams one from anyone born to the North of the River Henmore and one from people born South of the river these are known as Up ards and Down ards The Goals are on the sites of Old mills one at Clifton and one at Sturston these are three miles apart A goal is scored by a player striking the mill wheel three times with the Ball The ball may be kicked carried or thrown but generally proceeds in a series of hugs invisible to the spectator The game can last for many hours finishing well after dark The game starts at 2 o clock in the afternoon when a specially prepared ball larger than a football and filled with cork which weighs around 4lbs is thrown in by a visiting guest of honor The balls used for the Shrovetide games are made by Ashbourne man John Harrison The hand sewn leather balls are filled with cork chippings The balls are a work of art and take a few weeks to paint If the balls are goaled then it will become the proud possession of the person who has goaled it If no one goals it then the person that turned up the ball gets to take it home The game starts in the Shawcroft Carpark back of Somerfield supermarket This year Tuesdays game was turned up by Sir Richard Fitzherbert of Tissington Hall Wednesday s game was started by Fred Harrison local farmer and businessman No goals were scored in either of the two games this year So it was a draw For an exact Map location of the start of the game click HERE Use the Zoom controls to look around Andy s Better detailed map locations For an exact location of the place where the ball is turned up click HERE to see it on Google maps If you have the GoogleEarth application installed then click HERE to see the exact location marked Photo selection DP 240204ASHFOOT 01 This is the corner of Dig street and Church street in the town centre The shops have been prepared with wooden barriers just in case the crowd comes this way DP 240204ASHFOOT 02 This is St John s Street In half an hour from now the game will be under way DP 240204ASHFOOT 03 This is Where St John s Street turns up onto Buxton Road A515 DP 240204ASHFOOT 04 Here we see some of the players outside the Wheel Inn pub on Compton Street DP 240204ASHFOOT 05 Here we see some other players outside Ye Olde Vaults pub in the Market Place DP 240204ASHFOOT 06 This is Compton Street bridge which Henmore Brook runs under 45 mins into the game the ball was in this water only to end up coming back the other way again DP 240204ASHFOOT 07 Here you can see the ball being held high as it is paraded through the crowd towards the Turning up stand by Sir Richard Fitzherbert of Tissington Hall DP

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/events/2004/ashbournefootball/index.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Old Photographs of Derby by Dave Upton
    youngsters Their ages ranged from two to six years old and some stayed with the circus for over 20 years Photo Description Bertram Mills Circus Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 03 Approx Date of photo 1947 Other Information This shows the Elephants of Bertram Mills Circus arriving at Derby railway station Turning from the cattle market into the lane down to the meadows were the circus is sited Photo Description Bertram Mills Circus 2 Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 04 Approx Date of photo 1947 Other Information This shows the Elephants of Bertram Mills Circus arriving at Derby railway station Turning from the cattle market into the lane down to the meadows were the circus is sited Photo Description Derby Arboretum flower display Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 05 Approx Date of photo 1949 Other Information This shows a flower display in the Arboretum Photo Description Derby Arboretum flower display 2 Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 06 Approx Date of photo 1949 Other Information This shows a flower display in the Arboretum marking when New Zealand Cricket team visited Derby Photo Description Derek Ibbotson Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 07 Approx Date of photo 1953 Other Information This shows Derek Ibbotson running at Osmaston road sports centre Photo Description Rowing on the Derwent Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 08 Approx Date of photo 1953 Other Information This shows a view of the Derwent looking towards town Photo Description Markeaton Park pond view Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 09 Approx Date of photo 1953 Other Information This shows the small stone bridge duck pond and buildings to the left which today are used as Markeaton Craft Village Photo Description Markeaton Park waterfall bridge Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 10 Approx Date of photo 1953 Other Information This shows the small stone bridge which is still present in the park today Photo Description View of Matlock Bath Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 11 Approx Date of photo 1953 Other Information This is a view looking down on Matlock Bath Photo Description View of Matlock Bath Pavillion Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 12 Approx Date of photo 1953 Other Information This is a view looking down on Matlock Bath Pavillion from the top of the cliffs Photo Description Corner of Cotton Lane Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 13 Approx Date of photo 1968 Other Information This shows the junction of Cotton Lane with Osmaston Rd The cake shop on this corner sold Birds Cakes until 1962 then was a bookmakers owned by George Siddal then by his son until 1970 when it was demolished The cafe behind me on the corner was a small confectioners tobacconists in 1947 which my dad owned The building on the right side of Osmaston road was Carriage Wagon works canteen In 1970 s the streets of Graham street Gilman street and Russel street were demolished They have remained as parkland since then Photo Description Tissington well dressing Image Reference No DP OLDDUCOL 14 Approx Date of photo

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/oldphotos/duc/ (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Then and now photographs of Derby and Derbyshire by Andy Savage
    is required 850MHz otherwise the image fading will be extremely slow If you enjoy watching these presentations then please leave some comments for my guest book by using the link at the top right of this window This page is just one of many sets of then and now photographs to see others visit the index by clicking on the Then and now Home button at the top of this page or use the Previous and Next links below to see the previous and next set of five fading images Would you like to see even more fading photos like these well use these links here to get to other sets of photos Previous set of 5 photos Main index of Then and now photos Next set of 5 photos Thumbnail view The thumbnail shows the view today Details about the two photos used in the Then and now Click the thumbnail to view Photo Description The Long bridge former Derby canal across River Derwent Derby Image Reference No DP TAN LONGBRIDGE 101 Details This view shows a structure which was known as long bridge It was a walkway for horses to pull canal boats across the river Derwent from the former Derby Canal across the river into the Northern part of the Canal system Photo A taken 1950s Photo B taken 12th June 2005 Time elapsed 45 years Exact Map Location click HERE Click the thumbnail to view Photo Description Borrowash Top Lock on former Derby Canal Borrowash Derbyshire Image Reference No DP TAN BORROWLOCK 102 Details This shows a view of the former Derby Canal at Borrowash In photo A the two swans are in a section of the Derby Canal just a few yards east of what was once Borrowash Top Lock today this section of the canal is covered over and you would be forgiven for not even knowing that there used to be a canal through here When the Derby Canal was closed Station Road which runs across it was lowered down the original bridge over the canal can be seen in Photo A The Derby Canal is currently being restored by the Derby Canal society This section of the former Derby Canal WILL be transformed back into a canal in the not too distant future please support the society in restoring the canal by joining here www derbycanal org uk Photo A taken 1950s Photo B taken 10th June 2005 Time elapsed 55 years Exact Map Location click HERE Click the thumbnail to view Photo Description Shardlow Basin on the Trent and Mersey Canal Shardlow Derbyshire Image Reference No DP TAN SHARDLOW2 103 Details This shows a view of Shardlow Basin where the Trent and Mersey canal runs close to the River Trent Photo A taken 1970s Photo B taken 10th June 2005 Time elapsed 35 years Exact Map Location click HERE Click the thumbnail to view Photo Description Little Eaton Top Lock Former Derby Canal Little Eaton Derbyshire Image Reference No DP TAN

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/thenandnow/page21.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Old Photographs of College Primary School, Derby by Erica Perry
    even as far as Cheviot street During the 50 s 60 s most children walked there and access was gained to the school via an alley leading from Uttoxeter New Road and also access was made from the alley was off Great Northern Road This entrance led to the school playground The school was demolished in the late 1990 s and a new school building was built on a new site nearby on Saint Albans Road and renamed the Bishop Lonsdale School The original site has now been rebuilt with a housing estate Captions for the photos below 01 Front view of College School taken in the early 1990 s before demolition Shows the tall windows to each classroom Also the downstairs classrooms had direct access through French doors to a narrow courtyard area 02 Shows the back of the building and entrance from Great Northern Road Over the years the school had extensions built on to accommodate better facilities i e indoor toilets However as you can see from the picture they were certainly not in keeping with the original design of this Victorian building Also note to the left of the picture stands the old Teacher Training College that in the 1960 s had close links with the school When I attended the school in the late 1950 s and early 60 s the pupils benefited from the close links that the training college had with the school The use of the college facilities i e chapel gymnasium music hall art studio and the open grasses areas for sports day etc Also student teachers would come and do their work experience in the school Later in the 60 s a new teacher training college was built in Mickleover with the name Bishop Lonsdale College which is now one

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/oldphotos/epc/index.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    local Derbyshire man James Brindley in 1777 which linked the town to the river Trent at West Stockwith it has one of the longest tunnels at Norwood and one of the first multiple staircase lock flights in the country Boat trips on the canal are available from Tapton lock Sundays from Easter to end of October 1pm 4pm This canal is currently being restored to its former glory by the Chesterfield Canal Trust St Mary and All Saints church The spire reaches 228 foot into the air and is a well known highly visible landmark in the area The reason it is twisted is because it has been built using unseasoned timber and the sheer weight of the herringbone lead plate covering The lead weighs 32 Tons There is a legend that it is twisted because a magician persuaded a Bolsover a blacksmith to shoe the devil Shaking with fear he drove a nail into the Devil s foot Howling in pain the Devil took flight towards Chesterfield Skimming over the church he lashed out in agony caught the spire and twisted it round St Mary and All Saints is the largest church in Derbyshire and is a landmark that Chesterfield is well know for The building was dedicated in 1234 although it wasn t finished until 1360 The church is open all year 9am 5pm Mon to Sat and if you would like to take a guided tour up the tower then visit on a summer bank holiday Parties by appointment In the churchyard stands the town s first gas lamp of 1824 decorated by Joseph Bower It originally stood in the market place Chesterfield was the first town in Derbyshire to install electric street lighting in 1881 Chesterfield market The traditional open air market has been going since at least 1165 when the sheriff of Derbyshire recorded an account of 1 2s 7d from the market of Chesterfield In the early 1220 s it outgrew its original site near the church and moved to its current location in front of the market hall The markets are held on Monday Friday and Saturdays with a Flea market on Thursdays Holiday markets take place on Easter Monday May Day Spring Bank and August Bank holiday Monday There are 200 stalls to look around so you are sure to find something of interest For modern shopping stores visit Vicar Lane The Pavements Centre and the Yards For a map of the local area click HERE For a aerial photo with overlayed map click HERE Photo Descriptions Chesterfield St Mary and All Saints Church views 6 off Chesterfield is probably most famous for its church with a crooked spire so I make no apologies for featuring this church in such photographic detail as it really is an amazing structure If you get a chance go on one of their guided tower walks DP 080604CHESTERFIELD 06 shows the Anniversary window each of its nine sections depicts life through the years starting with the

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/chesterfield.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-11