web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » D » DERBYPHOTOS.CO.UK

Total: 588

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Barrow on Trent, Derbyshire - Photographs and History
    spirit with its school youth club village hall church and chapel The chapel had to be erected on arches to raise it to the level of the road now called chapel lane which was 3 or 4 feet higher up The old manor house and grounds together with fishing rights in the Trent were given to the Methodist Ministers Retirement Fund by the last owners Mr and Mrs Houst and in 1949 Manor Court was built which comprised of flats for retiring ministers who had no home in which to live An old farmhouse called The WALNUTS was where the family of George Turner the artist lived in the 19th century Many of his landscapes were painted in this area Photo Description St Wilfrids church Image Reference No DP 280302BARRO 01 Exact map location Click HERE Date photo taken 28th March 2002 Other Information This is St Wilfrids church on Church Lane and is a Grade I listed building It dates from about the 13th century possibly on the site of an older church mentioned in the Domesday Book Its Norman arcade still has its original if much restored columns The base of the square tower and the north aisle are 14th century whilst the upper part of the tower is from the 15th century Photo Description The Methodist Chapel Image Reference No DP 280302BARRO 02 Date photo taken 28th March 2002 Other Information This methodist Chapel now a private house on Chapel Lane was built in 1839 and is supported on arches because of the marshy ground s tendency to flood Photo Description The Lodge house Image Reference No DP 280302BARRO 03 Date photo taken 28th March 2002 Other Information This distinctive building is the lodge house on Chapel Lane Photo Description Former Sale Davy s Primary school Image

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/barrow_on_trent.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Belper, Derbyshire - Photographs and history
    to s against a nailer s cottage or in small sheds in their gardens An example of one of these Nailer s sheds can still be seen on Joseph Street The sculpture was designed by Paul Margetts whose studio Forging Ahead is in Belbroughton just south of Birmingham in another area where nail making was a traditional industry Paul began working in metal as a blacksmith in Worcestrshire in 1975 and after a number of years travelling overseas including a spell training rural smiths in Zimbabwe returned to Birmingham Polytechnic to study Art and Design His sculptures are to be found in an impressive list of sites all over the country but he also does more domestic items in fact the Flying Geese can be purchased as a Garden ornament I would like to thank Tony Winslade qualified Blue Badge Guide for Belper for this information Photo Description White Swan pub Image Reference No DP 240803BELPE 02 Date photo taken 24th August 2003 Other Information This is the White Swan Public House located at 21 Market Place Belper Photo Description George and the Dragon pub Image Reference No DP 240803BELPE 03 Date photo taken 24th August 2003 Other Information This is the George and the Dragon Public House on Bridge Street A6 Photo Description The Butts and Fountain Image Reference No DP 240803BELPE 04 Date photo taken 24th August 2003 Other Information The waterless fountain seen here was errected in appreciation of George Henry Strutt and formerlly opened by the Hon Frederick Strutt of Milford House This is a view of the waterless fountain at Belper Market Place The road to the left is High Pavement The Butts is the area at the top of High Pavement on the other side of Nottingham Road and adjoining the entrance to St John s Chapel The Butts takes its name from an medieval edict that all able men should practice their archery after Sunday worship So this area next to the only place of worship in Belper at the time became the Archery Butts Photo Description King Street view Image Reference No DP 240803BELPE 05 Date photo taken 24th August 2003 Other Information This is King Street as viewed from the bottom on Chapel Street Photo Description Bridge Street view Image Reference No DP 240803BELPE 06 Date photo taken 24th August 2003 Other Information This is Bridge Street as viewed from King Street On the right side of the photo is the HSBC Bank Photo Description King Street in Belper town centre Image Reference No DP 290601BELPE 07 Exact map location Click HERE Date photo taken 29th June 2001 Other Information This is King Street which is the main shopping street in the centre of this town It was due to the railway opening here in 1878 that this area became popular Photo Description Duke of Devonshire pub on Bridge street Image Reference No DP 290601BELPE 08 Date photo taken 29th June 2001 Other Information This is one of many pubs in

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/belper.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Bradley, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    click on one Photos of Bradley Derbyshire England Bradley is a small village three miles east of Ashbourne located amongst winding lanes in open countryside Dr Samuel Johnson was a frequent visitor to the Georgian Bradley Hall now private to see the Meynell family while he was staying at Ashbourne with his friend Dr John Taylor The Meynells came to Bradley in 1655 and bought the hall from Sir Andrew Knifeton who had been financially ruined by the Cival war The nearest public house to the village used to be the Fox and Hounds on the A517 near the Mercaston turn off The pub was known as The Jinglers if approaching from the Belper side and The Fox and Hounds if approaching from the Ashbourne side The church of All Saints on Yew Tree lane has a bell turret but no tower on the 14th century nave and chancel The original wooden bell tower was struck by lightning In the church there are several memorials to the Meynell family Bradley C of E Primary school is located on Yew Tree lane A feature that soon becomes apparent when you visit Bradley are the large ponds of water Lady s Pond can be seen from the roadside near the church and attracts a lot of waterfowl There is another large area of water to the east side of Milldam lane These ponds flow south into Bradley Brook and Brailsford Brook which meets up with Shirley Brook to form Sutton Brook at Longford Eventually joining the River Dove just south of Eggington The archway crossing the road at Moorend is known as The hole in the wall Bradley Wood was given to the people of Ashbourne in 1935 by Captain Fitzherbert Wright For a map of the local area click HERE For

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/bradley.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Buxton, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    Photo Description The Buxton Opera House Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 04 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information This is Buxton s famous Opera House which was built in 1903 by Frank Matcham To see whats on at this venue See their website by clicking HERE Photo Description The Octagon and Pavilion gardens Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 05 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information This building houses the Pavilion Gardens which were built by Edward Milner in 1871 The gardens are wonderfull See next two photos The adjoining octagon is a favoured location for antiques fairs and craft fairs Photo Description Tropical plants in the Pavilion gardens Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 06 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Photo Description Tropical plants in the Pavilion gardens Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 07 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Photo Description The Pavilion park gardens Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 08 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information This park is located at the side of the Opera House Photo Description The Pavilion park gardens Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 09 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information This park is located at the side of the Opera House Photo Description The Lake bridge in the Pavilion park gardens Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 10 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information This park is located at the side of the Opera House Photo Description The Devonshire Royal Hospital Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 11 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information This hospital is located on Manchester Road and was built as stables in 1790 Photo Description The Grove hotel Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 12 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information This is the Grove hotel located on High Street Photo Description The Cavendish Shopping Arcade Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 13 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information The Cavendish Shopping Arcade is located in this building which used to be the the baths As you walk around the shops in here you can see all the original tiles from when it was the baths Photo Description The Quadrant Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 14 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information This is a view of The Quadrant and Spring Gardens Photo Description Spring gardens shopping area Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 15 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information This is the main shopping road in Buxton Photo Description Buxton town hall Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 16 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information This is Buxton town hall which was built in 1888 Photo Description The Angel war memorial Image Reference No DP 230801BUXTO 17 Date photo taken 23rd August 2001 Other Information This war memorial stands at the top of the Slopes It is of a similar design to the one in the village of Hadfield where the strange British comedy The League of Gentlemen was filmed

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/buxton.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Church Wilne, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    you click on one Photos of Church Wilne Derbyshire England Church Wilne is a tiny village located next to the river Derwent about 2 miles south of Draycott Approaching Draycott on the A6005 road turn into Draycott village and follow the sign to Church Wilne down the narrow bendy road The church and village is located on Wilne Road Nearby is Church Wilne reservoir where you can try out jet skiing etc For more info on this reservoir visit their site HERE The name Wilne means a clearing in the willows A church was recorded there in AD 822 dedicated to St Chad the Bishop of Lichfield whose diocese covered the area The Doomsday book also records a manor and a mill the latter has survived in various forms through the ages and at present it is the maker of fireworks and military pyrotechnics The inhabitants of Wilne gradually moved to Dry Cote today called Draycott Photo Description St Chads church Image Reference No DP 170502CHURC 01 Exact map location Click HERE Date photo taken 17th May 2002 Other Information This is St Chad which is near the river Derwent The lower part of the tower is 13th century The

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/church_wilne.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Crich, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    HERE For a wide view location map of the area click HERE The Memorial Tower The Regimental Memorial of the Sherwood Foresters at Crich in Derbyshire was built on the site of a signal beacon It is also known as Crich Stand It was originally dedicated to the fallen of World War 1 but further wars have meant that further plaques have been added to commemorate the fallen to date The Memorial Tower was designed by Lieut Colonel A W Brewill Unfortunately Lieut Colonel Brewill died before the work on the tower was completed in 1923 However the supervision of the building was carried out by his son Captain L C Brewill It was built by Joseph Payne of Crich The dome which sits on the top of the tower weighs forty tons The Memorial was erected at a cost of approximately 4000 and the money was raised by flag days and other such events The Memorial Tower was officially opened at 4pm on Monday 6th August 1923 the ceremony being carried out by The Colonel of The Regiment General Sir H Smith Dorrien He was supported by the Duke of Portland The Duke of Devonshire Admiral Salmon and The Bishop of Southwell Each year on the 1st Sunday in July a Pilgrimage and service is held at the Memorial site and is attended by members of the Regiment both old and new Many wear medals from the second world war and later conflicts which have occurred up to the present day The memorial is open to visitors every day The bright light at the top of it can be seen for miles around On the day I visited here it was 1 for the car park and 20p to go up the tower well worth it as you get

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/crich.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Cromford, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and history
    and other buildings are on Water Lane Photo Description Rainbow over Cromford pond Image Reference No DP 191002CROMF 03 Date photo taken 19th October 2002 Other Information This is cromford pond with a rainbow over the Scarthin The rainbow was only visible for a couple of minutes so I was lucky to get it Photo Description Houses over looking Cromford pond Image Reference No DP 260702CROMF 04 Date photo taken 26th July 2002 Other Information Cromford pond is full of wildlife and natural flowers these houses overlook the pond What a great view Photo Description Cromford pond water wheel Image Reference No DP 260702CROMF 05 Date photo taken 26th July 2002 Other Information This water wheel puts water into Cromford pond Photo Description The Greyhound Hotel Image Reference No DP 260702CROMF 06 Date photo taken 26th July 2002 Other Information This is the greyhound hotel and it is located in Cromford market square Photo Description Arkwrights mill Cromford Image Reference No DP 080701CROMF 07 Date photo taken 8th July 2001 Other Information This is one of the mill buildings at Arkwrights mill This was built in 1772 as a water powered cotton mill For more information about the Arkwright mills click HERE Photo Description Restoration of mill building Cromford Image Reference No DP 080701CROMF 08 Date photo taken 8th July 2001 Other Information These buildings are currently being renovated Photo Description Arkwrights mill Cromford Image Reference No DP 080701CROMF 09 Date photo taken 8th July 2001 Other Information This is one of the mill buildings at Arkwrights mill Cromford mill is now a world heritage site In August 1771 Richard Arkwright began building in Cromford He created the world s first successful water powered cotton spinning mill Photo Description Arkwrights mill Cromford Image Reference No DP 080701CROMF 10 Date photo

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/cromford.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Cubley, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    will open a new full screen window into which the picture will load All images Andy Savage www derbyphotos co uk If you have any comments for the guest book or questions to ask then use the link top right Please wait until all the thumbnail photos have loaded before you click on one Photos of Cubley Derbyshire England The tiny village of Cubley Little Cubley and Great Cubley is clusted around Derby Lane near the A515 about two miles west of Alkmonton Saint Andrews Church dates from the twelfth thirteenth centuries Michael Johnson the father of Dr Samuel Johnson was born in Cubley The Howard Arms pub at the junction of Derby Lane and the A515 is now a private house The Village school closed in 1960 due to lack of pupils For a map of the local area click HERE For a aerial photo with overlayed map click HERE Photo Description Street sign at Cubley Image Reference No DP 280602CUBLEY 01 Date photo taken 28th June 2002 Photo Description Old chapel being renovated Image Reference No DP 280602CUBLEY 02 Date photo taken 28th June 2002 Photo Description Saint Andrews Church Image Reference No DP 280602CUBLEY 03 Date photo

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/cubley.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-15