web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » D » DERBYPHOTOS.CO.UK

Total: 588

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Newton Solney, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    Ratcliffe gave a new building and the architect was Arthur Eaton The Unicorn Inn started as a farmhouse in the early nineteenth century When owned by the Ratcliffe family it was an inn later it was sold to Bass Brewery Today it is a pub and has accommodation in the form of four twin bedrooms and four double bedrooms The old Forge stands at the corner of Blacksmiths Lane there was a smith here in 1899 but gone by 1908 Trent Lane is an ancient tradewasy which leads down to the ford There are some Victorian cottages behind which is the old wheelwrights house In 1895 there were two wheelwrights in the village One house the Vine may be seventeenth century and is certainly one of the oldest houses in the village Across the river there is a World War Two pillbox put there to prevent German tanks crossing the river which it is just possible for a tank to cross The Newton Solney C of E Infants school was built in 1860 now with modern additions This was the school built by the Lord of the Manor Sir Henry Every Waterside Farm is an attractive Georgian farmhouse which is now a guesthouse Newton Solney won the best kept village award in 1989 1990 1994 2000 2001 and it was also the winner of East Midlands in bloom 1996 and 1998 It easy to see why it has won these awards as even though it was late summer when I visited this village I was very impressed by the overall look of the village For a map of the Newton Solney area click HERE Photo Description Newton Solney view 1 Image Reference No DP 200902NEWTONSOL 01 Date photo taken 20th September 2002 Other Information This is a view of Newton Solney village as seen on the approach from Burton on Trent on Main road B5008 Photo Description Newton Solney view 2 Image Reference No DP 200902NEWTONSOL 02 Date photo taken 20th September 2002 Other Information This is another view of Newton Solney viewed from the corner of church Lane The bench seen here was donated by the residents of Newton Solney to celebrate the Queens Silver Jubilee in 1977 Photo Description Saint Mary the Virgin church Image Reference No DP 200902NEWTONSOL 03 Date photo taken 20th September 2002 Other Information This is a grade B listed building mostly fourteenth and fifteenth century but with twelfth century Norman doorway Originally this was a chapel of ease owned and served by the canons of Repton Priory for the parishioners of Newton By 1650 it had become a parochial chapel served by a curate Thomas Gayfere the famous mason who died in 1827 is buried in the churchyard Photo Description Beehive cottage Image Reference No DP 200902NEWTONSOL 04 Date photo taken 20th September 2002 Other Information This set of rather strange looking octagonal buildings private houses stand on the corner of Church lane and were built in the early nineteenth century It may

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_i_o/newton_solney.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Osmaston, Derbyshire, England - Photographs & History
    the Domesday Book The original name of the parish was Whitestone The picturesque village pond stands at the bottom of the village and is overlooked by the two oldest thatched houses in the village There are a few benches around the pond one of which is made entirely from horseshoes Saint Martin s church dates from 1606 though the present building was built in 1843 and was designed by H I Stevens It was built to replace an earlier building of wickerwork The first service at St Martins was held in June 1845 The war memorial situated against the roadside near the church commemorates those who lost their lives in the First World War The village hall was opened on Coronation Day 1937 and replaced the old Victory Hall Hut The hall has a thatched roof and is used for various functions The School use is as their dining room Maps For a local map of the Osmaston area click HERE For an aerial photo with overlayed map click HERE Photo Description Saint Martin s Church Image Reference No DP 270703OSMASTON 01 Date photo taken 27th July 2003 Other Information This splendid looking church is St Martin s The war memorial to the left commemorate those who lost their lives in the first world war Photo Description Saint Martin s Church 2 Image Reference No DP 270703OSMASTON 02 Date photo taken 27th July 2003 Other Information Another view of the church Photo Description Shoulder of mutton pub Image Reference No DP 120903OSMASTON 03 Date photo taken 12th September 2003 Other Information This is the Shoulder of Mutton pub Photo Description Village pond 1 Image Reference No DP 120903OSMASTON 04 Date photo taken 12th September 2003 Other Information This is a traditional village pond seen here with the bench made from

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_i_o/osmaston.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Peak District, Derbyshire, England - Photographs & History
    Photo Description Glossop Date photo taken 13th June 2001 Other Information This is Glossop in the Peak district of Derbyshire It is a small town which is east of Manchester where Snake Pass A57 starts For more information on Glossop visit the virtual Glossop website HERE Photo Description Glossop Date photo taken 13th June 2001 Other Information This is Glossop in the Peak district of Derbyshire It is a small town which is east of Manchester Photo Description Snake Pass A57 Date photo taken 13th June 2001 Other Information This is the famous Snake Pass road in the Peak district of Derbyshire This is the road which is the first to get closed due to heavy snow falls in the Winter Photo Description Snake Pass A57 Date photo taken 13th June 2001 Other Information This is the famous Snake Pass road in the Peak district of Derbyshire Photo Description Visitor centre at Ladybower Reservoir Exact Map Location Click HERE Date photo taken 13th June 2001 Other Information This is the car park at the visitor centre near Ladybower reservoir with the reservoir through the trees Photo Description Visitor centre at Ladybower Reservoir Date photo taken 13th June 2001 Other Information

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_p_z/peak.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Quarndon, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    went to the Lord of the Manor Saint Paul s Church Completed in 1874 at a cost of over 4000 The land and part of the public subscription a gift from the Rev Alfred 4 th Baron Scarsdale It was consecrated on 16 th April that year In 1897 the proceeds from the local celebrations of Queen Victoria s Diamond Jubilee paid for the installation of the striking clock Only the Ivy covered west tower of the original 12 th Century chapel remain at the end of Old Vicarage lane The Nave and Chancel were demolished when the new church was erected at the top of the hill Quarndon Millennium Sunclock Roughly opposite the former Wesleyan Chapel near an old traditional Post Box is the rather unique sunclock which was created in 2001 It consists of a rectangular central path with the months of the year marked on it and surrounding this is an arc of stones with the hours 6am to 9pm marked on them To tell the current time you stand with your heels on the line below the current month your shadow will indicate the time B S T This clock is quite an interesting feature of Quarndon village According to the brass plaque below the clock it is located at position 1 30 16W 52 57 89N The Joiners Arms Its heyday was during the building of Kedleston Hall 1759 1765 after whose craftsmen it takes its name In its grounds were a wheelwright s and blacksmith s shops The Chalybeate Located just a few yards down the road from the Joiners Arms An iron impregnated spring had made Quarndon into a popular spa long before Matlock and Harrogate became celebrated watering places By the mid 17 th Century Quarndon s water was well known for

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_p_z/quarndon.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Rowsley, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    mill has stood on the site for at least 400 years the present mill was built in 1874 and is powered by water from the river Wye Caudwell s Mill is powered by the River Wye and is the only complete Victorian working roller flour mill in the United Kingdom There are a number of craft shops as well as a well stocked gift shop artist s gallery and café Peak Village factory outlet shopping centre is on Chatsworth road which is an extensive factory outlet shopping centre In the middle of the outlet is Rowsley Railway station The station was constructed as part of the Manchester Buxton Matlock and Midland Junction Railway which despite its name only managed to construct a line between Ambergate Matlock and Rowsley and opened in 1849 The intention had been to continue the line northwards past Chatsworth but when the Midland Railway eventually took the line forwards to Buxton in 1862 a route to the west via Bakewell and Monsalldale was adopted This meant that a new station had to be built to serve Rowsley on a different site The original station remained in use as a goods depot at the end of a dead end spur until 1968 The site was then used as a contractors yard before being redeveloped as you see it today For a map of the local area click HERE For a aerial photo with overlayed map click HERE Photo Description The Grouse and Claret pub Image Reference No DP 040803ROWSLEY 01 Date photo taken 4th August 2003 Other Information This pub was formerly the Station Hotel but due to the demise of the railway it was renamed Photo Description Rowsley bridge Image Reference No DP 040803ROWSLEY 02 Date photo taken 4th August 2003 Other Information This is Rowsley

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_p_z/rowsley.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Shirley, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    all the thumbnail photos have loaded before you click on one Photos of Shirley Derbyshire England Shirley village is deep in rolling countryside criss crossed by leafy lanes Local lords were the valiant Shirleys one of whom slain at the battle of Shrewsbury gets an honourable mention by Prince Hal in Shakespeare s Henry IV Shirley is probably most well known locally for its annual Music Festival the photos I have taken on this page were taken the day before the festival in 2002 Not sure if this festival still happens as I can t find any information on this June 2011 If you know otherwise then please let me know The Saracen s Head on Church Lane is an attractive white washed building dating from 1791 built from bricks made by the nearby Shirley Common Brickyard Saint Michael s Church is located on Church Lane it was built in the fourteenth century There are four roads leading to Shirley To the south is Mill Lane leading to Rodsley village and Marsh Hollow leading to Hollington village Derby lane to the north east connects with the A52 near Ednaston village Park lane to the north west leads into Shirley park

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_p_z/shirley.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Stanton-by-bridge, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    have loaded before you click on one Photos of Stanton by Bridge Derbyshire England The village of Stanton by bridge stands on rising ground overlooking the flood plain of the River Trent where it is crossed by the historic Stanton Causeway and Swarkeston Bridge It is a quiet sleepy village with no pub The church of St Michael showing structural evidence of Saxon work A Norman Chancel arch window and doorway have been retained during several restorations The bell cot is Victorian and consists of three bells as you can see in the photograph The village used to have a pub called the Dog and Duck Ivy House Farm Guesthouse was Built in the 17th century the bed and breakfast accommodation For a map of the local area click HERE For a aerial photo with overlayed map click HERE DP 020405STANTBYBRI 01 The brow of the hill on the A514 at Stanton by bridge DP 020405STANTBYBRI 02 On Swarkestone bridge ancient causeway near Stanton by bridge DP 020405STANTBYBRI 03 Side view of Swarkestone bridge viewed from Ward s Lane DP 020405STANTBYBRI 04 to 07 11 to 13 Views along the main road in Stanton by Bridge DP 020405STANTBYBRI 08 to

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_p_z/stanton_by_bridge.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, England - Photographs and History
    for the guest book or questions use the link top right Please wait until all the thumbnail photos have loaded before you click on one Photos of Stanton Moor Derbyshire England S tanton Moor is home to The Nine Ladies Stone Circle Some of the photos here show protesters who were trying to protect the area Nine Ladies Stone Circle is one of several prehistoric stone circles and dozens of

    Original URL path: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_p_z/stanton_moor.htm (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-14