web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » H » HERITAGEPATHS.CO.UK

Total: 444

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Campsie Fells Project is very pleased to announce that we have a lovely new Campsies map leaflet showing this old path and other routes in the area To get your hands on one simply send us an SAE c o ScotWays see address top right and we ll post one out to you This route starts along a rough road for 0 2km then crosses a footbridge over the Forth and Clyde Canal exit feeder It follows the S bank of Banton Loch in an easterly direction and continues to a minor road 0 5km SW of Banton Village OS Landranger 64 Glasgow Heritage Information This path is said to have been used by millworkers living in Kilsyth and working in Banton Mill As such it must have been very busy with many people walking it twice every day The OS 6 first edition map surveyed in 1859 shows the path heading along the south shore of Banton Loch which is marked Townhead Reservoir Forth and Clyde Canal Co It meets the road to what was then Low Banton just as it does today and a little further on can be seen the Powerloom Factory Townhead Reservoir was built in

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=69 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    of the Clearances which has recently come to light as tree felling has taken place The village is situated just over 1km to the SE where there is a car park at NM 666 520 with signposts and information boards OS Landranger 47 Tobermory North Mull and 49 Oban East Mull Heritage Information The route round the western tip of Morvern from Drimnin to Doirlinn passes along a former public highway built in 1880 as a poor relief project It passes old settlements some of which were inhabited at that time but are now long since deserted In 1836 most of the 341 inhabitants of the estate subsisted on some sheep and cattle rearing a limited amount of arable farming corn and potatoes and fishing However by 1861 clearance of the villages had started in order to make way for sheep farming and the population fell from 118 in 1861 to 58 in 1891 Auliston village itself had a population of 115 in 1851 The remains of this village can still be seen with individual houses being found right down to the shore Portabhata means boat haven The wall which you see here was built by men on poor relief in 1847 Most of the people in the west of Scotland at this time were destitute due to the failure of the potatoes crop from blight in 1845 and 1846 Potatoes were as in Ireland the staple crop Doirlinn is the Gaelic word for an isthmus where one can reach an island in this case Oronsay by wading at low water Six families who had been evicted from Auliston came to settle here and carried out many improvements to the land However this was to no avail as they were in turn evicted from Oronsay in 1868 to permit large scale sheep farming The total sheep population of Drimnin estate in 1794 was about 750 but by 1850 this had increased to 2500 These farms themselves suffered very quickly from competition with cheap wool imported from Australia between 1864 and 1870 the price of wool dropped by 50 In 1824 Inniemore Mungosdail Barr and Ardantiobairt were purchased by Miss Christina Stewart of Edinburgh She hardly ever visited the property and commenced the first large scale evictions in Morvern there being some 135 people living in these villages at that time The following is the story of Mary of Inniemore The day of flitting came it was necessary to depart The hissing of the fire of the hearth as they were drowning it reached my heart We could not get even a bothy in the country therefore we had nothing for it but the face the land of strangers Lowlands My mother in law was then alive weak and lame and was carried by my husband on his back I followed with an infant at my breast and the other children Our neighbours carried the little furniture that remained to use We sat for a time on Knock nan Carn to

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=70 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    cross the Allt na Lairige by the bridge at NN 308 693 and continue up the east side of the Allt na Lairige through the Lairig Leacach There is a right of way on the west side of the burn but in spate conditions the east side may be better At the Lairig Leacach bothy a track is reached which leads over the watershed and down the Allt Leachdach through

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=71 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Glen Moriston and a good path continues to the Allt Phocaichain The onward route to Torgyle Bridge leaves the Old Military Road on the east side of the Allt Phocaichain by a path which is difficult to discern Go north to the forest and descend the clearing under the eastern of the two transmission lines A short distance through the forest take the road which makes a long traverse west before turning north east down to Torgyle Bridge From Torgyle Bridge walk along the A887 for a short distance to Torgyle Church this is where the drove road used to come down to Glen Moriston from the north Now continue a few hundred metres eastwards along the A887 to a sign at NH311137 and follow a small path through a kissing gate north to join the hydro access track which is known locally as Eve s Road Continue along this track which goes under the transmission line all the way over the ridge between Beinn Bhan and An Suidhe past Loch na Beinne Baine and down towards Guisachan Forest From the upper edge of the forest go north down the forest road to Hilton Cottage and then follow the private road to Tomich OS Landranger 25 Glen Carron surrounding area 26 Inverness Strathglass area and 34 Fort Augustus Glen Albyn area Heritage Information This is part of the long distance drove route between Wester Ross and on to the Corrieyairack Pass and further south The section between Glenmoriston and Strathglass was used for driving stock during the First World War and can be seen on a mid nineteenth century estate map There was an Inn at Torgyle until the mid 1880s The section between Glenmoriston and Fort Augustus was commonly used in the late nineteeenth century by cattle from Skye

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=77 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    bridge gate open road recently made up stony track leads to reservoir surrounding area is rough grass heather with stony outcrops quite marshy in places At second concrete bridge route starts to climb gently to the reservoir area building site A few yards further on track reverts to old road muddy surface showing tyre tracks Beautifully made up old road sound base and sturdy stone culverts At 65608 65371 there is a strong wooden bridge with deer fence on S side old deer fence gate padlocked with kissing gate to side Route then ascends more steeply and it is possible to see stone work of old road At 64313 64190 little stone bridge culvert one of many Loch Laga in view boathouse still used old stone pier ruined At 63765 63350 stone bridge eroded ground peaty and becomes quite marshy in places but route is still well defined Path starts heading upwards over slight rise continues fairly straight ground quite marshy in places but route remains obvious to a good wooden bridge At junction with route from right Lochan nam Fiann gate open digger road greatly improved new surface of compacted stones on membrane layer old road no longer visible rough grassy marshy moorland with rocky outcrops route swings southwards to a forest gate open also side pedestrian gate area not as heavily wooded as indicated on map The turn at 6085 6225 is not obvious and easily missed It would appear to finish at the back of the farm On the main road there is no indication that there is a path or access through the farm Our route walker took the following more obvious route to Glenborrodale without hindrance At 6071 61998 there is a junction with track from Glenmore wooden bridge older than other bridges deer fence

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=72 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Description From the end of Locheil Road the obvious continuation is a cycle path but to the right of this steps lead down a shallow grassy bank and across 10m of grass to a metal bridge over the railway Definitely a footbridge 1m wide and steep metal steps On the far side a narrow gravel surfaced path continues between wire fences and hedges to reach the A82 at a stile

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=73 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    parking by the stone bridge on the old road From here the route is signposted on the east bank of the burn and is waymarked through the forest on to the open ground of Gleann Suileag Cross the burn between the edge of the wood and Glensulaig Bothy which is open for shelter After leaving the bothy and fording the Allt Fionn Doire the path is very indistinct and tends to be further up the hillside than might be expected After the watershed wih Glen Loy Gleann Laoigh Calf Glen the intermittent path becomes a rough land rover track Despite the proximity to the public road this area gives a great feeling of isolation The house at Achnanellan was rebuilt following a fire in the mid 1990s The public road is 700m further on and here a car could be met but the road is very quiet and offers a pleasant walk beside the river through oak woods in its lower reaches to the point where it joins the B8004 just beyond the Glen Loy Lodge Hotel OS Landranger sheet 41 Ben Nevis Fort William surrounding area Heritage Information NN 028 824 around this part of Gleann Suileag is a

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=74 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description From the signposted start on the A82 the path passes through land owned by the NTS and rises to 500m passing through rugged mountain scenery with huge rock screes on both sides It descends steeply from the watershed towards Glen Etive passing through a self closing gate in a deer fence and thence down to the road Survey from Hallewell Guide

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=75 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-15