web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » H » HERITAGEPATHS.CO.UK

Total: 444

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    the south west that marks the corner of the old township just south of Garvary The Allt Garbh Airidh would be quite difficult to cross if there were not a very narrow wooden plank crossing it a little downstream the bridge took this 11 stone surveyor fine but it is not for those with vertigo or poor balance Now you can join the track and head south before taking the fork north west You then head south west for Clais na Faire the very big boulder at the meeting of the Allt Clais na Faire and the Allt Loch Leisgein Cross the burn and head up the hill and countour to the south west till you get to the cleared township of Coirshellach and from here you can easily follow Henman s Burn to the drovers stance of Monbuie Then you follow the fence line to another cleared township of Shean From here it would have been a very short walk along a road to Invershin but this route is now well overgrown and so the only other option is to head into the nearby Forestry Commission plantation where a nearby track will take you direct to the main road only a couple of hundred metres from Invershin Hotel where a well deserved drink awaits OS Landranger sheet 16 Lairg Loch Shin sheet 21 Dornoch Alness Invergordan area Heritage Information This is a very little known drove road that Haldane did not mention in his seminal book The Drove Roads of Scotland There was a documented drove along this route in 1739 by a 17 year old John Macdonald and his cousin William Macdonald John s droving career was cut short as he took the King s Shilling the night after he reached Invershin During their drove the men would

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=189 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    take the road up Glen Lochay for 5km to Duncroisk then go NE up the Allt Dhuin Croisg by a track on the west side of the burn past old shielings Continue up the Allt Dhuin Croisg to the long flat summit of the Lairig Bhreislich Descend NNE beside the Allt Breisleich and cross the Allt Bail a Mhuilinn to reach the road leading down to Bridge of Balgie OS

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=190 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Routes Heritage Paths The Wick Lade Start location Loch Hempriggs ND 349 472 End location Wick ND 368 499 Geographical area Caithness Path Type Industrial Path Path distance 4 3km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description We have no recent survey of this route but being a lade it should have very easy gradients A path is mapped alongside at least part of its length through

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=191 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    OS map From NW corner of Spittal Wood NH 552 510 to junction of the motor road B9169 at Yorklea NH 547 513 500 metres Two parallel ruined stone walls 4 metres apart and heavily overgrown with broom in places Evidence of use by walkers and horse riders From Yorklea NH 547 513 to road track junction west of Ord Muir NH 541 515 700 metres A metalled minor road between two ruined stone walls 4 5 metres apart From road track junction NH 541 515 to Balvaird NH 538 517 500 metres A bridleway between two old ruined walls which are 4 metres apart The track has been used as a dump for cleared stone from adjacent fields thereby raising the height of the track to a metre above the surround field level Domestic rubbish has also been dumped Wild bird cherry of considerable age is in evidence along the way Well used by walkers The bridleway becomes a metalled road at Balvaird NH 538 517 which continues for a further 300 metres to a junction at NH 537 518 The junction appears to have existed in former days with a road or track branching off in a westerly direction and heading for Urray it is marked on a Peter Brown map of the Commons of Milbuy 1816 as the road from Oran Orrin to Kessack Kessock From the junction at NH 537 518 to the southern corner of Balvaird Wood NH 538523 the route heads ENE following the contour of the hill round For 250 metres it is a metalled road with evidence of old walls along its line to NH 537 520 thereafter a further 250 metres along a farm track to the south corner of Balvaird Wood From the south corner of Balvaird Wood NH 538 523 to the railway bridge at Conan Lodge NH 539 535 1250 metres The route gradually descends through Balvaird and Balavil Woods A path distinct at first for 400 metres appears to be associated with an earth bank parallel and to the east and varying from 2 to 12 metres distant The path crosses a more recent field or boundary wall and ditch and stops at a ruined wall running at right angles For the next 200 metres there is no evidence of a track or earth bank thereafter a modern forest road can be picked up on the line of the old route through Balavil Wood and the only possible evidence of the route is a short 20 metre stretch of earthbank beside a deep ditch below Davids Fort OS Landranger 26 Inverness and Strathglass area Heritage Information The first evidence of the roadway which has been located so far comes from the first edition of the OS 6in maps which were surveyed in this area in 1872 This shows both a mature wood and the pathway through the wood as a track This is continued in the second edition 1894 By the time of the third edition 1908

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=192 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Description The former fishing station is accessed by a footbridge across the Berriedale Water OS Landranger 17 Helmsdale Strath of Kildonan Heritage Information This is an old track leading to the remains of an abandoned fishing station at Berriedale Herring boats brought home their catch to fishing stations to be processed The herring industry was huge in Scotland and gave a lot of jobs to people who had recently been

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=193 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Path Type Trade Route Path distance 1 6km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description There is supposed to be a fairly obvious track leading to this fishing station but we haven t yet had a survey of it returned to us Any help would be gratefully received OS Landranger 11 Thurso Dunbeath Heritage Information This is an old track leading to the remains of an abandoned

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=194 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    location Lybster ND 247 351 Geographical area Caithness Path Type Trade Route Path distance 0 3km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description This is a short walk from Lybster of around half a kilometre although we haven t received a survey of it recently OS Landranger sheet 11 Thurso Dunbeath Heritage Information This is an old track leading to the remains of an abandoned fishing station

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=195 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description Just south of Soutra Aisle an old grassy road is visible as it goes south to cross the Armet Water It is well defined for 5km to the Roman camp at Kirktonhill by Channelkirk OS Landranger 66 Edinburgh Midlothian area or 73 Peebles Galashiels surrounding area Heritage Information Dere Street was the main Roman road into Scotland running from Durham to the Forth used AD 78 185 Its line north of Soutra is harder to find and is in places open to debate South of Kirktonhill the valley crossing is said to be now not practicable Shallow pits can be seen in places beside this ancient route which were created by quarrying to build the road surface The section of Dere Street between Jedburgh and Edinburgh was known as the Via Regia or the Royal Way Throughout the Middle Ages Dere Street remained an important byway connecting greater Scotland with the important abbeys of the Borders region As such Dere Street was a regular pilgrimage route and King Malcolm IV created the Church and Hospital of the Holy Trinity as a place of rest and healing for pilgrims near the half

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=196 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive





web-archive-uk.com, 2018-01-20