web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » H » HERITAGEPATHS.CO.UK

Total: 444

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    637 Geographical area Dumfries and Galloway Path Type Civil Road Path distance 26 7km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description Our route description below details the old road from Ballantrae to Stranraer but also gives two possible alternative routes leading to New Luce Leave the A77 road 1km south of Ballantrae at a Stinchar Valley Trails signpost and go E along a minor road towards Auchairne for 1km Then go SE uphill past Kilwhannel across the north east shoulder of Smyrton Hill and over Beneraird at a height of 424m Continue past Lagafater Lodge and down the Main Water of Luce to map ref 141 742 Take the right fork to go by Barnvannoch and High Mark to a road junction just N of the filter station at map ref 134 696 From there a choice is possible a To reach Stranraer take the road on the right going east of Penwhirn Reservoir and continue SW over Braid Fell to reach Innermessan 4km by the A77 road from Stranraer b To reach New Luce take the road on the left still following the Main Water of Luce SE by a quiet road to New Luce An

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=210 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Search Route Description The path that leads to the steps is opposite a turning signposted Cairn of Get on the A99 south of Ulbster Whaligoe is not suited for young children or those who are unsteady on their feet Dogs are not recommended There is a small carparking area near the start OS Landranger 12 Thurso Wick surrounding area Heritage Information The Whaligoe Steps date back to the late eighteenth

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=208 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Farm Mull NM 360 488 End location Port Haunn Treshnish Mull NM 334 473 Geographical area Argyll and Bute Path Type Rural Path Path distance 3 25km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description A right of way runs from the B8073 to Treshnish Farm where a notice directs walkers to turn left then right round the buildings From there an unsurfaced farm track runs to Haunn where there are 3 holiday cottages Grassy path continues beyond Haunn to above the shore OS Landranger 47 Tobermory North Mull or 48 Iona West Mull Heritage Information The clear path which runs from the now refurbished crofthouses at Haunn to the raised beach above Port Haunn was a fishermen s path well used by the crofting families who lived there Haunn means harbour and this harbour is an impressive sight More information on the settlement at Haunn can be found here J G Campbell in Witchcraft and Second Sight 1902 relates a tale of the super natural use of this route The ghostly rider of the black horse marcaich an eich dubh crosses the seas in discharging his task When coming to Tiree he takes his passage from Port

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=215 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    NG 163 444 End location Lorgill River NG 179 420 Geographical area Skye and Lochalsh Path Type Rural Path Path distance 3km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description From the start at Ramasaig the route appears to follow a good track to the Lorgill river OS Landranger 23 Heritage Information The ruined building marked at NG 168 436 can also be seen on the 1st edition

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=216 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Street Edinburgh EH7 4AN T 0131 558 7123 F 0131 558 1222 email facebook twitter flickr Join Us Donate SEARCH BY MAP ADVANCED SEARCH Coffin Road Bealach Eorabhat South Harris Site Design Hosting by Digital Routes Heritage Paths Old coastguard s path Trotternish Start location Bend on A855 by junction to Shulista NG 422 743 End location Headland above Sgeir nan Sgarbh NG 408 758 Geographical area Path Type Path

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=217 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    building at Aird of Sleat is not yet built although the ruins of a chapel are marked at Cladh Aruisg A School Boys Girls is shown Today on this relatively remote path still cobbled in places it is easy to follow in the footsteps of former churchgoers and schoolchildren The first Gaelic school in Sleat was at Camuscross Opening in 1814 it later moved to Aird and then to Sasaig Perhaps this was the Aird school said to be open in the 1840s that had closed by the 1850s Compulsory education was introduced for all children up to the age of 13 as a result of the Education Act of 1872 Aird School opened in 1876 Although the school burnt down it was replaced on another site in Aird and by 1895 there were 84 pupils in the school At the time Aird School closed in 1957 it was attended by only three children In 1906 a request was made by the parish minister Rev A Cameron for a site for a mission church at the southern tip of the parish This was agreed and the church was built at Aird and put on a feu in 1908 By this time the Kilmore minister had assistance from two missionaries one stationed at Isleornsay and a second serving Aird and Tarskavaig The church builder was a Mr Donald Fletcher from Tobermory and the cost was 499 The records show that A supply of good stone has been found in the bank of the burn close by the site of the church Sand had of necessity to be won off the seashore at the foot of croft 16 lime slates etc were brought in a smack landed with difficulty in small boats and all had to be carried to the site with

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=218 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    track leading north west along the loch to Knock An alternative start may be made from the disused bridge at Teanga Brideig NM564306 Go through a gate on the E side of the bridge and through sheep fanks This is a clear and well used old hill path It joins the above route at the col OS Landranger 48 Iona West Mull Ulva Heritage Information There is a tradition that this route was a pilgrims way at the time of St Columba An old cairn Carn Cul ri Albainn stands on top of Mam Clachaig and is said to have been erected by missionaries returning from Iona at what was the dividing line between Alba and Dalriada Karn culri Allabyn be seen marked by a cross on Blaeu s Atlas of Scotland of 1654 A second cairn Carn Cul ri h Eireann lies on the opposite side of the glen As Karn culri Erin it too is noted on Blaeu s Atlas The route from Ardvargnish to Knock is clearly marked on George Langlands 1801 map of Argyllshire In fact the line of what is today s B8035 only extends as far as Ballinahaird on that map there is no road marked along the south side of Loch Na Keal This old drove road brought cattle from the north of Mull over Mam Clachaig to Glen More They were heading for Grass Point where they were ferried to Kerrera then swum across the sound to the mainland The route is said to have been used by drovers as recently as the early 1960s to get from the south of Mull to Salen for shipping cattle off the island In the mid nineteenth century the Mull District Road Trustees paid to make a new Bridle Path over Glen Clachaig hill as

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=219 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    distance 3 25km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description Follows road to NM 732 315 then leaves road cuts across base of headland at Aird a Crotha along south shore of Loch Don to a small burn then goes east to join road just short of Grass Point OS Landranger 49 Oban East Mull Heritage Information Cattle from all over Mull and further afield were ferried from Grass Point across to Kerrera and thence over the sound to the mainland The crossing was in use from before 1620 primarily for the ferrying of cattle to mainland markets and became the main ferry route to and from Mull until the second half of the nineteenth century The Auchnacraig quay and inn buildings can still be seen at Grass Point The ferry between Auchnacraig and Barnabuck on Kerrera continued until 1867 by which time traffic had dwindled due to the competition from the growing steamboat connections with Oban The ferry had carried the mail thrice weekly but the Postal Authority did not trust the steamboats enough and so the mail continued to be taken by sailing boat to and from Auchnacraig Grass Point but directly to Oban until

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=220 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-16