web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » H » HERITAGEPATHS.CO.UK

Total: 444

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    down to the jetty for the pedestrian ferry to the mainland Kerrera is easily accessible by a passenger ferry that runs to the mainland a couple of miles south of Oban The Kerrera Drove Road can form part of a wonderful circular walk around the south part of the island OS Landranger 49 Oban East Mull Heritage Information Until the middle of the nineteenth century this was the main route for cattle from Mull to reach mainland markets The cattle were shipped from Grass Point on Mull to Barr nam boc Bay driven across Kerrera then the cattle swam the narrow Sound of Kerrera According to Haldane in The Drove Roads of Scotland as many as 2000 heads of cattle travelled this way every year Originally the Kerrera landings were at Ardmore further south but a landing place at Barnabuck was found more convenient and a quay was built there in 1760 This was the main ferry route to and from Mull until 1867 by which time traffic had dwindled due to competition from the growing steamboat connections with Oban with thanks to the Mull Museum Tobermory According to H MacDougall s Island of Kerrera Mirror of History 1979 from

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=221 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Description Start from the A890 road 4 km north from Strathcarron Station at the bridge over the Fionn abhainn and follow the well defined path N past the new Coulags Lodge and up the east side of the river In 2km the river is crossed and in another 1km Coulags bothy is passed 1km further on there is a junction of paths The most direct way continues N up the

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=222 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    stone bridges that may have been part of the early road Crossing the Allt Phocaichain the old military road joins the Drove Road to Fort Augustus OS Landranger 34 Fort Augustus Heritage Information The 43 mile long road from Bernera to Fort Augustus was built between 1755 and 1763 but most of the original line now lies under the modern road network or in close proximity to it this small section between Achlain and Fort Augustus is a notable exception East of the Allt Phocaichain the military upgraded the existing drove road to Fort Augustus drovers continued to use it after its relatively brief phase of military use From Fort Augustus the military road continued onwards through the Corrieyairack Pass to Laggan According to William Taylor s The Military Roads in Scotland 1976 a map of the route between the barracks at Bernera ad Fort Augustus was drawn by Daniel Paterson in 1746 plans must have continued to progress as in 1749 Caulfeild was reporting that the road could be finished in a year by 600 men The route is also shown on Roy s Military Survey map 1747 1755 labelled as Road from Bernera to Fort Augustus although presumably

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=223 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Search Route Description The road from the A838 as far as Portlevorchy is now a public road There is parking for four or five cars in a small roadside quarry at NC 225 516 about 200 metres east of the turning circle at the road end and the fork to Portlevorchy After a gate NC 209 515 and crossing over stone steps a few yards of likely wet in winter ground the third climb is up what is known as The Waterfall almost a scramble in places The track otherwise is well made with gravel and sand where necessary There is a well made pedestrian bridge at NC 215 516 On gaining the high ground west of the Waterfall at the first cottage the path runs immediately in front NC 208 511 and above the fenced vegetable garden this is the only puzzling spot on the route then follows along the hillside passing other cottages The track then descends to the activity centre at the loch OS Landranger 9 Cape Wrath Heritage Information A number of people lived along this route at least into the 19th century as two townships were mapped by Ordnance Survey in 1878 This path would

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=224 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Ground passing West Wood House there is a hard surfaced road some fifteen feet wide or perhaps a little less The road is bordered by trees and is suitable for light motor traffic There are several houses on this road Beyond Woodhill the last house the road deteriorates and is in need of repair The trees are left behind and the road passes through farmland There is a low stone wall on the right and a verge with a wire fence on the left As the farm Glasgoego is approached the road surface is completely destroyed presumably by farm vehicles and cattle However it still twelve to fifteen feet wide The road circles the farm in a clockwise direction and as one leaves the farm buildings it passes Glasgoego Reservoir on the right and the conditions underfoot improve The surface is now earth sand and gravel We now cross the public road to Cairntradlin entering a new short stretch of public road which has been built to give access to Muir of Kinellar farm because its original access was destroyed by the building of the Blackburn By Pass At a T junction we turn right for a few yards to the farm turning left just before the farm entrance on a farm road This road has a rough surface with much grass and gullies and pot holes However it is quite easily passable The track is about ten feet wide and there are a few houses along it as well as one or two branch tracks The track has farmland on either side and is bounded by low walls or fences with a number of hedges and bushes The characteristics of the track are roughly the same all the way ruts potholes grass and bushes from time to time but

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=225 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    continue along for about 1 2 mile before veering off from the track to cross the Uisage Labhair near to NN469720 The path is indistinct here for a time but follow the stream south to Corrour Lodge where a footbrige is crossed Follow the path to the right along Loch Ossian Turn right on the estate track after the railway bridge to head toward Loch Treig following the loch s south shore to Creaguaineach Lodge and a bridge over the Abhainn Rath Follow the path besides the Rath until you are opposite the ruins of Luibeilt Ford the river here Continue along the riverside path until you run into the Allt Coire a Bhinnein which will also need to be forded After fording again follow the Abhainn Rath for about 300 yards before heading off to the left through boggy ground to join a westward path below Tom an Eite Follow this path to Steall where you join the rocky track through the gorge to Fort William 10 3 2014 Culra Bothy has been closed with immediate effect The Mountain Bothies Association has been advised that asbestos is present in the fabric of the building Notices will be placed on the building as soon as the MBA can get them there the building is currently unlocked but it should still not be used except in extreme emergency Heritage Information This long route was used for centuries by cattle thieves making their way south and west from the Central Highlands It passes by two of the great mountains in Scotland Ben Alder and Ben Nevis and heads over the northern edge of Rannoch Moor In the old days cattle thieves in the relatively lawless Speyside and Badenoch regions would make their way to Lochaber to sell their prizes This route would

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=226 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    side of Loch Rannoch at Annat 2 5A km west of Kinloch Rannoch From there follow a track which goes N up the east side of the Annat Burn for about 1 5 km then cross it to continue W then NW for about 2km to the Allt a Chreagain Odhair There the track coming up from Craiganour Lodge is joined and the direction is then due N along the track round the east side of Gualann Sheijeach to Duinish From there the route crosses a new bridge across the Allt Shallainn and continues N across wet ground which can be avoided by keeping up the hillside on the west to the south end of Loch Garry There a track is reached and followed along the west side of Loch Garry for 5km to Dalnaspidal which as the name indicates was at one time a hospice or inn Dalwhinnie is 13km north along the A9 road There is an alternative start at Aulich near Craiganour Lodge on Loch Rannoch NN 611 591 the route heads north to join route at NN 620 616 after 3km Heritage Information This is a very interesting old road because it appears in Roy s Military Survey of 1747 1755 as far as Duinish but the road marked on the mid eighteenth century map then splits off and neither of the two legs that are currently accessible seems to follow the historic line It must have been a fairly important route at the time but was probably only accessible to pedestrians and horses which would have made it easier to divert he routes oer the centuries The western route seems to have gone up Allt na Duinish and down the west bank of the Aulich Burn while the eastern route is very difficult to trace

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=227 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    the Kirkmichael to Ballinluig Drove Road General Wade s Military Road from Crieff to Aberfeldy the Ardeonaig to Comrie Drove Road and the Comrie to Callander Hill Track Head generally north from Brig o Turk passing to the east of Glen Finglas Reservoir turning eastwards to reach Ballimore at the end of the public road Follow the unclassified road into Balquhidder From Balquhidder Church go north up the road through the forest then by a path beyond it on the east side of the Kirkton Glen to reach the huge boulder called Rob Roy s Putting Stone Continue below the frowning crag Leum an Eireannaich the Irishman s leap to Lochann an Eireannich at the bealach Descend north down the east side of the Leadcharrie Burn to the A85 road at Leadcharrie farm OS Landranger 57 Stirling The Trossachs area 51 Loch Tay surrounding area Heritage Information This pass through the Trossachs has been used for centuries for both legitimate and nefarious purposes It has close ties to Rob Roy MacGregor the famous Highland rogue immortalized by Daniel Defoe and Sir Walter Scott Rob Roy s home village of Balquhidder is directly on this route and his grave can be found in the kirkyard there near the ruins of the earlier church Indeed Roy stole the bell from this earlier church for use in his son s school at Loch Tayside The bell was returned in 1951 Cattle droves coming from Skye and Lochaber would use this route on their way to Brig o Turk and Aberfoyle Cattle thieves would also use this path as it offers the advantage of being the least populated pass through the Trossachs The pass south from Balquhidder into Gleann nam Meann is said to have been used by whisky smugglers in addition to all

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=228 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-12