web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » H » HERITAGEPATHS.CO.UK

Total: 444

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    entrance to Inchnacape NJ 198 202 End location Unclassified road junction Achnascraw Chapeltown NJ 242 215 Geographical area Path Type Path distance 5km Accessibility info Back to Search Route Description Starting at the western end this section begins where the Inchnacape Farm road joins the B9008 at GR 198 202 The public road now follows the original westwards extension of this route from Inchnacape to Tomintoul The path follows the farm track to the farmhouse where a grassy track heads NE through a couple of gates for a short distance to reach the edge of the Inchnacape plantation at GR 202 202 Here a well defined 4 m wide track continues NE through the plantation crossing a forest road at GR205 204 before emerging from the forest at a boundary fence and gate at the eastern edge of the wood GR 211 214 The track continues through the enclosed field beyond the forest gate heading due E to a shelterbelt at GR216 215 where the track does a short dog leg before continuing E downhill along an enclosed stony track through a series of gates to the Lettoch Farm The route continues through the farm along the eastern edge of

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=245 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    distance 9km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Suitable for Bikes Back to Search Route Description The start is at the SE corner of the car parks adjacent to the Wool Centre immediately south of the main street in Aberfoyle An information board marks the start with details about the railway line and about other aspects of local history and place names This route is now part of a cycle route The two stay together until an unclassified road is reached at Cobleland The route re starts on the A81 at Gartmore and heads towards Carse of Shannochill The original bridge over the River Forth has been removed so for many years the route ended here However a footbridge was installed in 2007 and now once again it is possible to travel this way to Buchlyvie OS Landranger 57 Stirling The Trossachs area Heritage Information The Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway opened for passengers and freight in 1882 Although Aberfoyle was the terminus station a tramway including cable operated planes continued to the Aberfoyle slate quarries The importance of the slate industry to the survival of the line can be seen in that although the line closed to passengers in 1951 it

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=246 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    cutting then onto the flat At NO828999 the path turns sharp right to leave the line of the railway and after 100m turns sharp left onto a minor road This minor road is none other than a remnant of the Old Deeside Road and for the next 4km or so the Deeside Way mostly follows its line rather than that of the old railway At the first road junction the Deeside Way follows the minor road left over the line of the old railway and continues along the road to NO808988 where a well surfaced and double fenced path leads straight ahead all junctions and turnings on the Deeside Way are very clearly marked with a variety of signs This path soon leads across the tree lined drive to the old manse below Drumoak and after passing the manse garden wall turns left towards the Dee Curving right through some bracken clad woodland it runs past the local football field and a stand of conifers to turn north beside the road from Park Bridge to Drumoak Opposite Drumoak Caravans the Deeside Way crosses the road and follows the pavement to turn west along the main Deeside road A93 After about 60m it drops down back onto the line of the old Deeside Railway Apart from a couple of very minor diversions round houses the Deeside Way continues straight along the old railway almost to Crathes Most of this section is only 10 20m from the main road and despite passing through a narrow strip of trees with fine rural views to the south there is considerable road noise Nearer to Crathes the old railway veers slightly south away from the road but the Deeside Way soon has to leave it turning sharp right back to the North Deeside Road A93 which it follows for a short distance to the A957 Slug Road The Way follows this latter road s pavement south until reaching a marker post whereupon it crosses the A957 to head along a gravelled road past some houses eventually leading past the buildings on the old Crathes station among the trees on the right The track runs past sand and gravel excavation and the local football pitch to pass over a humpback bridge including the old railway bridge there are 4 further bridges crossing this river slightly upstream from this one Passing through the Milton of Crathes car park the Deeside Way runs on along a well surfaced straight alongside the re laid Deeside Railway At the limit of current development the Deeside Way returns to the old track bed with a steep bank on the north side effectively screening it from the main road There are good views of the Dee just below to the south The old railway is well tree lined until the sawmill on the outskirts of Banchory The sewage works come after the sawmill and soon the way is a tarred path through a parkland area next the river on the outskirts of

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=247 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    for Bikes Back to Search Route Description This route is the towpath of the Union Canal running on the north bank of the canal there being no equivalent path on the south bank OS Landranger 65 Falkirk West Lothian and 66 Edinburgh Penicuik North Berwick Heritage Information The Union Canal was originally known as the Edinburgh and Glasgow Union Canal recognizing its role in connecting the two cities by water The canal was built between 1818 and 1822 by Hugh Baird notably employing the two later murderers Burke and Hare amongst the many labourers required for the project The towpath along the canal was for the benefit of horses drawing vessels along the water Originally the canal was primarily used for commercial puposes in particular the transport of coal By the 1930s however railroads had put the canal essentially out of business The 11 locks connecting the Union Canal with the Forth Clyde Canal at Falkirk were dismantled in 1933 and it formally closed in 1965 In 2001 the Millenium Link project had re opened the Union Canal the link with the Forth Clyde Canal was re established by way of the Falkirk Wheel the following year The Union Canal

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=248 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Penicuik Start location Bavelaw by Bavelaw Castle NT 166 627 End location A702 west of Penicuik NT 211 609 Geographical area Lothian and Borders Path Type Rural Path Path distance 5 25km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description Crossing Threipmuir Reservoir by a bridge go up the steep avenue At the top turn left then right passing the entrance to Bavelaw Castle After a gate stile the route becomes a footpath going ESE and into Green Cleuch between Black Hill and Hare Hill to reach the Logan Burn Follow the glen round towards a cottage The Howe and just west of it a path goes steeply uphill to reach the high pass between Carnethy Hill and Scald Law at 579m 1899ft the latter is the highest of the Pentlands Continue downhill from the pass by the Grain Burn to the A702 To reach Penicuik turn left along the main road then take the first road on the right and go down by Coates Farm to Penicuik Heritage Information Bavelaw and Loganlea were part of the parish of Penicuik so this old kirk road was the route residents took to church services in Penicuik The New Statistical

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=249 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Bealach Eorabhat South Harris Site Design Hosting by Digital Routes Heritage Paths Cupar Pilgrim s Route Start location Bankfoot Cottages A914 NO 333 182 End location Dairsie Mains NO 412 162 Geographical area Fife Path Type Pilgrimage Route Path distance 9 3km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description We do not have an up to date survey of this route in its entirity and would be very grateful to receive one However in the meantime most of the route is described in the Cupar Walks leaflet available as a download from the ScotWays website OS Landranger 59 St Andrews Kirkcaldy Glenrothes Heritage Information This route can be seen on many old maps including Ainslie s map of 1790 and Sharp Greenwood and Fowler s map of 1828 Moonzie Kirk is built on the site of a medieval chapel known asthe visible kirk its gable was said to be whitewashed as a marker to guide pilgrims It is thought that approaching the kirk the pilgrims would have had their first sight of the tower of St Rule and later St Andrew s Cathedral Descending from the kirk the route kept to quite a high line before reaching

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=250 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Path Type Path distance 5 75km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description From Nether Urquhart the route follows a single width tarred minor road as far the Lappie road end thereafter a rough surface with vestiges of old tarmac passing fields and patches of woodland to new housing north of Glenlomond Hospital A wooden finger post is passed at NO168059 indicating the route up Glen Vale

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=251 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    974 Geographical area Path Type Civil Road Path distance 6 5km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description In recent years probably as a result of the redevelopment of Balquharn Farm this route has been tarred for all but a couple of hundred metres at western Alva end and now has the appearance of a minor road The above developments are partly residential and partly commercial farming For the most part it is used by walkers and cyclists though the occasional car is also encountered From the eastern end of Alva the route runs ahead unmistakably between fences bordering the adjoining fields grass and earth underfoot tractor width Further east the line is marked by the remains of an avenue of mature trees and by the remains of a bordering dyke on the north uphill side of the track This route is well marked for most of its length but loses its identity over the last 200m where it crosses the golf course Take care as it is not at first clear which direction play will be coming from For walkers setting out from the Tillicoultry end there is no indication as to the starting point or

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=252 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-16