web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » H » HERITAGEPATHS.CO.UK

Total: 444

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description From Hownam go east uphill by the track called The Street which runs southeast over Windy Law Craik Moor and Green Knowe 415m to the Border OS Landranger 80 Cheviot Hills Kielder Water Heritage Information This path is marked in the mid nineteenth century by the Ordnance Survey as a drove road While it was definitely used for that purpose there are some

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=269 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Schilgreen go south over the hill to the Dod Burn and ultimately further south to Cocklawfoot From Cocklawfoot pass through a gate and follow a clear grassy track uphill through a conifer plantation and ever upwards passing through a single gate before arriving at the border fence gate where a signpost at reads Clennell Street Pennine Way OS Landranger 80 Cheviot Hills Kielder Water Heritage Information This old crossing of the Border was known as Hexpethgate it is mentioned in a state paper of 1543 Henry VIII Domestic Series XVIII as one of seventeen crossings of the Cheviots The Cocklaw was a regular meeting place for the Wardens of the Marches The route is marked on a lot of old maps and there is thought to have been a cross placed at the point where the road crosses into England to commemorate the killing of Lord Russell on 27th July 1585 On Roy s military mapping 1775 this route is marked Road from Morpeth to Kelso The section north of Auchope is labelled Windy Path on the OS 6 1892 1905 and 1 25 000 1937 1961 mapping South of the Border the track is known as Clennell Street At

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=270 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    many military roads built under Major William Caulfeild after General Wade left the Highlands in 1740 This small section is part of the military road that ran from Coupar Angus to Fort George through Braemar Corgarff and Grantown on Spey It was a 100 mile stretch of road which took 9 years to build between 1748 and 1757 and must have taken a very good line as the majority of the modern road follows it this part being a notable exception Other sections can be seen between Blairgowrie and Bridge of Cally and north of Grantown on Spey During the 1750s Caulfeild was undertaking other massive road building projects and so by the 1760s travellers would have been able to go by military road from Corgarff to Stonehaven via Aberdeen and to Portsoy or Fochabers by way of Huntly A road was later built to Fettercairn which gave people another option from Corgarff Corgarff Castle is a tower house located on sloping land to the south of the River Don built as a hunting lodge in the mid sixteenth century Although by the eighteenth century tower houses were going out of fashion Corgarff s survival probably resulted from its strategic position It was used by Jacobite troops during the 15 and 45 uprisings Following the Battle of Culloden in 1746 the castle came into government hands and was converted into a Hanoverian garrison in 1748 forming part of the route to the new Fort George The building was originally a three storeyed tower house with a tall vaulted hall on the first floor Following the occupation of the castle by the government another floor was inserted to provide additional accommodation and an eight point curtain wall was constructed around the building in a star shape with slits through which muskets

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=271 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    5km on the outside of the deer fence which encloses the grazing land to reach the burn which flows down through a narrow gorge from Loch Sgeireach 50m beyond the burn and 50m before reaching a gate in the deer fence start climbing steeply uphill by a path marked by cairns and wooden posts After the initial steep climb the path bears left on a rising traverse west for 1 5km From the crest of a little spur at NC104012 descend gradually across rough and in places boggy ground still following cairns and posts until at NC091014 the path which is very narrow at this point crosses a steep grassy slope above sea cliffs with a few metres of scrambling down a rocky step Great care is needed at this point Beyond there the path continues its gradual descent towards the shore at Geodha Mor However as west of the Garbh Allt the path has been remade and is much higher than the original the route now cuts inland up the Garbh Allt s east bank for some way before the crossing in order to traverse the steep slopes of Garbh Choireachan before dropping gradually to the cottages at Culnacraig at the end of the public road From that point there is a choice of routes either by road direct to Achiltibuie or seaward by path to Achduart and then by road past Achininver Youth Hostel currently closed For those who want to start this walk at Ullapool the following route goes from there to Strath Canaird Leave Ullapool northwards by the A835 and 2km beyond the bridge over the Ullapool River take the vehicle track which climbs NE over the west side of Creag na Feola and ends at Loch Dubh presumably the original path was submerged by the

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=272 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    near the north west end of Loch Merkland on the A838 road between Lairg and Durness Follow the track which goes NNE along the east side of the Allt nan Albannach then NE by the Bealach nam Meirleach between Meall a Chleirich and a chain of three small lochs Continue along the track down the glen of the Allt a Chraois to Gobernuisgach Lodge and the road in Strath More OS Landranger 16 Lairg Loch Shin surrounding area 9 Cape Wrath Heritage Information The route can be seen on the 1st edition of the 6 inch to the mile OS map which was surveyed in 1873 and the present track was built between 1866 and 1869 Milestones marking the distance to Loch More Lodge which was the main shooting quarters of the tenant Earl Grosvenor existed along the route and there are still at least three still in situ A guidebook from the 1940s stated that this was a drove road and this has been repeated since then but it is not at all certain if it ever was used for this purpose The main gathering place for cattle crossing the Reay Estate was at Mudale directly east from Loch

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=273 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Lothian and Borders Path Type Rural Path Path distance 7 6km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description From Currie go uphill by the Kirkgate road passing the church and continue straight on up to the moor Then go SE through Maiden s Cleuch between Harbour Hill and Bell s Hill and descend to Glencorse Reservoir Go left along the access road past the Ranger Centre to

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=274 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    moorlands with not a scrap of wood or green ground in sight and the whole scene made more weird by a solitary granite tor rising like a ruined keep on one of the distant hills Sir Henry Alexander From Rhindhu head north then northeast to Burnside of Thain from where a path continues northeast over heather moor to the River Livet and joins the track to Suie now deserted Before Suie this track fords the Kymah Burn but there is a footbridge near Knochkan a deserted red roofed cottage upstream About 300m beyond Suie bear right leaving the better road which carries on up Glen Suie the Glenfiddich Road and follow an eroded bulldozed track round Carn na Bruar and down to ford the Black Water at NJ330267 The rough track continues up to the Dead Wife s Hillock 543m where there is a pedestrian gate in the deer fence and then descends to a gate at the top of a large field From there a clear track runs down to Aldivalloch which is also deserted but from where a good road runs to Kirktown of Cabrach past Aldunie OS Landranger 36 Grantown Aviemore Cairngorm area 37 Strathdon Heritage Information

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=275 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Drodland gets very wet so the Moray Council is promoting a drier detour The promoted line of the route is sign posted with yellow waymarker discs showing a fishwife logo and an excellent leaflet is also available locally We are informed that the route is very accessible and can be walked using a bus service between Keith and Buckie OS Landranger 28 Elgin Dufftown surrounding area Heritage Information This right of way over Addie Hill has evidently been in use for very many years by the general public in a two way traffic between Keith or Newmill and Buckie and the places intermediate Indeed the very name of the route commemorates the fishwives of Buckie who travelled this way to Keith carrying baskets of fish The women could be travelling over 20 miles per day and fully loaded their baskets would weigh 40lb Mary Jane Milne the last creel woman starting at the age of 13 or 14 worked until the mid 1950s retiring at the age of 73 In the 1960s the route was blocked by fencing preparatory for the afforestation of the hill and ScotWays files of the time contain letters which include people s memories of the route In 1962 a pensioner who was born and bred on Kingscairn Croft and whose father was born lived and died on the same croft reported that the right of way was used by horse and cart regularly during his father s lifetime and his own This use continued until the War Office took over the area as a Shooting Range in 1940 and the croft was demolished However the right of way had been recognised by the War Office who would put up red warning flags when the range was in use In 1998 someone living in Drybridge said

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=276 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-14