web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » H » HERITAGEPATHS.CO.UK

Total: 444

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    NH 292 260 Geographical area Inverness Nairn Badenoch and Strathspey Path Type Drove Road Path distance 6 3km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description We have no recent survey of this path but according to Ordnance Survey mapping it should be accessible as a combination of paths and fire roads Any recent knowledge of the route would be very welcome indeed OS Landranger 25 Glen Carron

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=5 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    2 4km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description The path is best started from Achluachrach where there is a car park Skirt around the hill Moine Bohenie to the west and then climb till you get on to the plateau The path should be evident and there are two fences both with gates The path continues to the corner of a plantation and goes directly downhill along the side of the plantation to Bohenie OS Landranger 34 Fort Augustus and Glen Albyn area or 41 Ben Nevis Fort William surrounding area Heritage Information This path was certainly used as a coffin road for the inhabitants of Bohenie and all the other townships in Glen Roy The path would essentially have started from where ever someone died and from there people would have processed carrying the body along this path to the consecrated ground at Bohenie where it would have been buried Interestingly there are three coffin cairns along the route These coffin cairns were marked in the first edition of Ordnance Survey s 6 inch to the mile maps and were used sometimes to rest the coffin on while the carries were changed sometimes they were

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=6 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    before the Dron burn and find the ruins of West Dron Hill Farm just uphill from here Stick to the right of the Lochan and follow the track to the edge of the woodland as it goes downhill to join the road to West Dron Farm The route could be combined with the Path of Dron to create a circular walk although this surveyor struggled to find the old drove road back to Glenfarg OS Landranger 58 Perth Alloa Auchterader Heritage Information The road is said to have been used in Roman times going back to the days of Agricola Several forts were built on the hills overlooking Strathearn as a line of defence against the Caledonians who dwelt to the north It is named after Sir William Wallace who many believe led his troops this way during his campaigns against the occupying army of Edward I in the years 1297 1305 It is also thought that Mary of Guise her daughter Mary Queen of Scots and Lord Darnley all travelled this road as it was the most direct to Perth from Dunfermline King Charles I in 1632 came to Scotland to receive its crown After his triumphal entry into Edinburgh he visited Dunfermline and then made his way to Perth riding on horseback with his retinue along this road However not that many years had passed when Oliver Cromwell led his Ironsides along this road to his intended attack on Perth in 1651 Later the road is associated with the struggles of the Forty Five when the exiled Stuarts made a push for the throne of Britain The Jacobites may well have travelled up and down the road Despite not being made up to take coaches the Wallace Road was shorter than the maintained Wicks of Baiglie public road

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=7 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    383 644 End location A75 Glasnick Smithy NX 353 633 Geographical area Dumfries and Galloway Path Type Military Road Path distance 3 9km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description Route description runs east to west as follows off the A75 into Blackpark on a tarred road From here to Muirfield an old farm with a modern shed there is a used tractor hard core road This passes round behind Barskeoch Hill with mostly good walking As the path swings round and down it deteriorates into boggy tufted reed close to the A75 at a milestone at Glasnick Smithy OS Landranger 83 Newton Stewart Kirkcudbright area Heritage Information This is a small part of a fascinating military road that was built by Major Caulfeild in the 1760s The road originally stretched 105 miles from Bridge of Sark to Portpatrick and much of the old road is under the A75 There is a long stretch of Military Road east of Glenluce that is not under the A75 but that is not as easy to find anymore Further east between Creetown and Gatehouse of Fleet lies the section over the Corse of Slakes Unlike all other military roads built

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=8 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Start location unclassified road about 5km E of Abbey St Bathans NT 815 613 End location B6437 NT 854 615 Geographical area Lothian and Borders Path Type Smugglers Path Path distance 4km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description From the unclassified road follow field edge above Blackhouse Dean Plantation and keeping wall on right follow field edge to wood Gates at both ends of wood then follow field edge passing trig point on other side of wall to low wooden fence at right angles across the route Over this the path continues through thick gorse it is necessary to go into field to get through to right turn and then further low wooden fence across route Over this continue straight ahead down driveway following to left later then joining tarmacadam road Turn right and follow to B6437 OS Landranger sheet 67 Duns Dunbar Eyemouth Heritage Information This path appears on many old maps including John Blackadders of 1797 Ainslie s map of 1821 and Thomson s map of 1820 Interestingly none of these earlier maps seems to have called it Thief s Road but the current Ordnance Survey map does Thief s Roads tend to be

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=9 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Site Design Hosting by Digital Routes Heritage Paths Thief Road Start location Wollrig NT 454 255 End location crossroads south west of Boonraw NT 494 175 Geographical area Lothian and Borders Path Type Rural Path Path distance 8km Accessibility info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description We do not have an up to date survey for this route but it is our understanding that it now forms part

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=10 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Description The original commencement of the Post Road can be found on the Ayton side of the A1 However now the A1 intersects the Old Post Road that path is overgrown virtually impassable and unwalked as it no longer links to the rest of the Post Road An alternative path is being walked regularly and cuts around the field edge of crop fields The Old Post Road is accessible from the Ayton Eyemouth road B6355 there is a slightly misleading waymark sign which could be seen as pointing into a private driveway The path commences as a tarmaced surface but soon becomes muddy and prone to puddles and rutting There is a horse stables and paddocks adjoining this first section OS Landranger 67 Duns Dunbar Eyemouth Heritage Information This road is known as the Old Post Road or the Great North Road and is most likely the precursor to the A1 Blackadder s map of 1797 has mile numbers counting down the number of miles to Berwick so it would have been the main road between Edinburgh and Berwick and thus also between Edinburgh and London There was a milestone located on this road just west of Ayton Castle but it is unclear if this still exists It is tempting to think that Blackadder s numbers represent milestones along the route most of which are likely to be gone The Old Statistical Account for Ayton suggests the road was quite new by then the late 18th century and the New Statistical Account 1834 1845 states that 3 mail coaches travelled the road every day It also states that as the first parish in Scotland Ayton received many poor people often ill or elderly from England as they had been sent back for their home parish to care for them For

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=11 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    to walk round the boundary fence of the field to a gate at NS716792 where there are slight traces of an old metalled road if you look closely An ATV track goes to an old sheep fold and corrugated iron hut From here an ATV track runs up to a gate to the left of the original line but close to it At the gate follow the wall to the right until you get close to the corner of the old plantation then follow a bearing of 8 degrees grid to a burn coming from Garrel Hill then 23 degrees to the cairns From the cairns the original line followed the Slachristock Burn swapping from one side to another down to the then River Carron It ultimately crossed the river in the vicinity of today s bridge to the Carron Valley Forest carpark However most of this line has been lost to tree planting and the reservoir Once in the Carron Valley Forest it is now far easier to pick up forestry roads and follow these down to the reservoir dam and carpark If you wish to continue north to approximate the line of the Chapman s Road taking a bearing of 358 degrees grid from the cairns will take you to the re entrant where the burn runs north to Carron Valley Reservoir The ground is very rough tussock grass reeds and left over off cuts of trees from recent harvesting all intersected by forestry drainage ditches but once in the burn course it s not too bad Keep to the left bank of the burn for approximately 700m to reach the network of forestry roads Alternatively from the cairns head east along the Campsie Ridge Route over Tomtain to reach the Tak Ma Doon Road From that point another historic route the Drove Loan runs east towards Drumbowie reservoir but that is probably a walk for another day Overview there is no signage paths or tracks until reaching the Carron Reservoir Forest roads There is no path following the line shown on the old OS maps but it is possible with the aid of a compass and with careful navigation to follow the line Much of the ground on the southern slopes of Tomtain is very boggy and cut up by cows On the north side it is replanted and recently harvested forestry which makes very heavy going but it is passable Please note that due to the rough terrain this route may take longer than anticipated Parking it is usually possible to park in the Lennox Kilsyth Golf Club below the club house If this is busy there is free parking at Colzium Park which adds 2km to the walk At the north end there is parking at the Forestry Commission s carpark which their website Dec2015 states is open 7 30am to 6pm to 9pm in summer If taking the alternative route over Tomtain to reach the Tak Ma Doon Road there is a carpark at

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=12 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-13