web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » H » HERITAGEPATHS.CO.UK

Total: 444

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    be regarded as one of the best remaining stretches of military road for walkers However it seems to be walked very rarely now The first mile southbound on the Cateran Trail is fine When the road branches off left from the main path it is only just discernable as it is overgrown with trees and a pheasant rearing pen is built across it It emerges from the trees into open moorland and is very obvious although overgrown with heather which is very beautiful in August and straight as a die There is a rather broken down bridge and there is not much of a path although the line is clear The middle section has no path but the walking is on grass before entering a planted shelter belt where the road was gives the line to travel Just west of Middle Mause the road is used for field access and so is obvious although overgrown going down to the bridge at Lornty and on to Blairgowrie OS Landranger 53 Blairgowrie Forest of Alyth Heritage Information This small section of military road is part of the road that ran from Coupar Angus to Fort George through Braemar Corgarff and Grantown on Spey This was a 100 mile stretch of road and took 9 years to build between 1748 and 1757 Built under the auspices of Major Caulfeild it must have taken a very good line as the majority of the modern road follows it this part being a notable exception There is a more easily walked section near Corgarff and another north of Grantown on Spey During the 1750s Caulfeild was undertaking other massive road building projects and so by the 1760s travellers would have been able to go by military road from Corgarff to Stonehaven via Aberdeen and to Portsoy

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=29 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    info Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description This is a very straight path on the west side of Glen Eagles It was signposted at both ends a year ago at least 2008 and starts off the main road just north of Glenhead Farm and follows the track past St Mungo s Farm to the castle at the north end OS Landranger sheet 58 Perth Alloa Auchterarder Heritage Information

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=30 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Farrn where it becomes a rutted track There are no gates obstructing access between Greenyards and Glenhead where however the original route past the cottage is occupied by garden space and barred by a closed gate and this blocks the track There is a further gate closed across the route but no alternative openings or stiles are in existence to allow the cottage to be by passed A new gate and fence have been installed beyond here where there is the remains of a stile Another gate has to be crossed to reach the A820 Beyond this house however the route is very overgrown Landranger 57 Stirling The Trossachs area Heritage Information This was once the main route into Dunblane and as such would have seen a lot of traffic The hedges either side of the road denote its former width It s very interesting to look at the old road on a map and see just how directly it went into the centre of Dunblane These days this old route remains useful As well as being a right of way it is part of Stirling Council s core paths network and part of it is used by the National

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=31 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    to Search Route Description This old path starts to the right of the Station Hotel on Alloa s Ring Road It goes steadily downhill in a very straight line to the Royal Mail depot and joins into some other cycle tracks Originally it would have gone to the docks but has been truncated at some point OS Landranger sheet 58 Perth Alloa Auchterarder Heritage Information This old path is part of an old Waggonway that took coal from various mines in the Sauchie area to be shipped out of Alloa s port It was first built in either 1766 or 1768 and was first used purley to link Alloa s glassworks with the port but later extended to reach the coal mines Originally the Waggonway had only wooden rails which wore out by 1785 At this point the rails were upgraded with a new track of rails made of fir plated with bars of Swedish Iron These rails were able to take trains of three wagons each carrying 1 5 tons and pulled by one horse At around 1810 the track was again replaced by one made entirely of cast iron By this time each wagon carried only 1 ton

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=32 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Suitable for pedestrians Back to Search Route Description Harrietfield on the B8063 on the north of the River Almond may be reached by car very limited space for parking or by walking from Methven If walking go along the minor road from Methven to Glenalmond College and take the lane marked Back Avenue to a footbridge over the River Almond to Harrietfield 6km from Methven From there go W along the B8063 for 1km to a hairpin bend where the walk really begins Go northwest up a private road bypassing Logiealmond Lodge to Craiglea quarry Follow the main track through the quarry and over the knoll Craig Lea then down to the Shelligan Burn Join another track which goes northwest for several kilometres over a col between Meall Reamhar and Meall nan Caorach and down to Girron and the A822 1km south of Amulree OS Landranger 52 Pitlochry Aberfeldy and 53 Blairgowrie Forest of Alyth Heritage Information At least part of this route is a very old road which is mentioned in the Chronicle of Fortingall and is shown on Stobie s 1783 map of Perthshire The Chronicle of Fortingall is a document compiled from 1400 to 1579 by a

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=33 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    than a track and across a wooden bridge into a cultivated field Through both this field and the next one there is a clear way which emerges on to the minor road Then follow the minor road to the east for about half a kilometre and at the south end of Quality St go along to the south end of Kilmany Road and from there a broad track leads along the west edge of Dandie s Wood before entering the east edge of Shambleton Wood for a short distance You then come out through a field gate to follow the west edge of a field to another gate at 387 227 From there the track leads down a deep lane to the A914 The old road then goes to the south west following the current road network for a couple of kilometres before going off road again at Ardlogie House The path continues for around 100m on the right before turning left at the fence on the south side of Set Hill The way in is not easy to negotiate it was necessary to clamber through a narrow space You then follow the field edge until you pass through a broken field gate and then continue on the north side of the next stretch of field boundary At the field boundary before Hayston Farm there was a pair of roped hurdles then a broad track which leads down to the main access road to Hayston Farm This survey was mainly undertaken in 1992 and so many features may well have changed hopefully for the better OS Landranger 59 St Andrews Kirkcaldy Glenrothes Heritage Information The development of roads was significantly advanced in Medieval Scotland by the increased hegemony of the church This road was probably in existence before 1200 but

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=34 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    Esk just above Moulzie was washed away by Storm Frank so as of January 2016 a diversion is in place OS Landranger 44 Ballater Glen Clova Heritage Information This old route is marked as Mounth Capell on the Gough Map which has been dated to between 1355 and 1366 Ainslie s Map of the County of Forfar and Shire of Angus 1794 shows the route from Braedownie as far as the Aberdeenshire border John Thomson s map of Angusshire 1825 provides detail beyond the border and the route continues past the Spital of Glenmuick and all the way to Ballater That being said all the routes shown on Thomson s map look much the same there is no differentiation in marking to indicate the various types of routes which will have existed at this time The Capel Mounth would have been a very convenient pass between Glen Muick and the Braes of Angus and may have been a good deal used in the days when the district was more populated The New Statistical Account 1842 states that a survey had been made some years ago of a line of road to extend over the Cappel Mount it is clear this proposal was considered of value by the writer but the scheme was never carried out It is possible that the marked route shown on Thomson s map is this surveyed line rather than the pre existing rough track The Capel Mounth road lies above 2000ft for much of its way In winter like a lot of other Mounth passes it was extremely dangerous the OS 6 map second edition shows frequent snow posts and cairns marking the route Many of the cairns are thought to have been erected as memorials to persons who lost their lives in the pass The

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=35 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Heritage Paths - Search for Paths by Map
    the left by a narrow road to Balintober and continue by a track which climbs south then southeast round the side of Craig Vallich to a col on its south side Descend a short distance northeast along the track and then go east by an indistinct path across the headwaters of the Pollagach Burn to a gate in the fence at 600m on the ridge opposite Beyond it the track descends first southeast then south to a footbridge over the Water of Tanar The track climbs south up the north ridge of Mount Keen 939m and reaches 750m on its west side An alternative path goes over the summit Continue south and in 1km the track begins to drop steeply by the Ladder Burn to the cottage of Glenmark beyond which is the well commemorating Queen Victoria s crossing by this route in 1861 The track continues down the east bank of the Water of Mark to the end of the public road at Invermark 5km from Tarfside The footbridge over the Water of Tanar can also be reached from Glen Tanar House NO479958 and from Tombae on the B976 NO433965 OS Landranger 44 Ballater Glen Clova Heritage Information Queen Victoria and Prince Albert crossed by Mount Keen in 1861 A well commemorates the spot where they rested after riding from Deeside and it bears the following couplet Rest Traveller on this lonely green and drink and pray for Scotland s Queen It is also recorded that in July 1618 an early English traveller in Scotland John Taylor King James Water Poet with some difficulty found his way by this road to the Braes of Mar Up and downe I thinke this hill is six miles the way so uneven stony and full of bogges quagmires and long heath that

    Original URL path: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=36 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive





web-archive-uk.com, 2018-01-23