Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:

Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » M » MULL-HISTORICAL-SOCIETY.CO.UK

Total: 167

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Lochdon
    Fletcher a road contractor in Torosay as he had a lease and could not be evicted Many leaders of the Free Church movement were intellectuals of the community but had to do more manual jobs when they came out During the famine that followed Campbell provided work for the community by building the road to Ardchoirk but he also evicted those who were completely impoverished Consequently after his death when his son John offered them land they could not raise enough money to build a church However money was raised by Mrs Campbell of Possil with the help of her sisters in law and the church was built in 1852 just above the gravel pit on the shore The church is rectangular in shape and built of uneven and irregular basalt stone faced with cement The roof is of grey slate and there is a small bell tower at the western end The interior walls are wood paneled to the window level and then painted to the ceiling There is an interesting plain wooden pulpit which is edged with blue velvet and a gold fringe In the graveyard there are only four graves which date between 1860 and 1881 When the United Free Church was established in 1900 the church became the United Free Church of Torosay and Salen On the 14th January 1930 it was united with Torosay Parish Church and they worked closely together By 1964 the church was being used less often and it was suggested that the building be turned into a church hall Nothing was done until December 1968 when the Kirk Session decided that services could no longer be held and they would sell the building and graveyard Five months later it was sold to the Free Church of Scotland At present there is

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/lochdon/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Michael Chapel – Iona
    the east range of the Abbey It had new windows inserted in the 1500s but apart from this is exactly as it was built in the early 1200s There is no great age to its name but a 16th century record of a burial aisle dedicated to St Michael may be related to the building Like the rest of Iona Abbey the chapel became derelict following the Reformation of 1560 It was one of the last buildings to be restored by the Iona Community and was completed in 1959 The work was financed largely by donations from Africa and most of the furniture and the beautifully curved ceiling are constructed from African wood Today the chapel remains a place of worship providing a space that is considerably more intimate than the Abbey Church itself Grid Reference MN 287 245 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic Church Tobermory Catholic House of Prayer Iona Cill an Ailean Glen Aros Inch Kenneth Iona Parish Church Kilcolmkill Kilmore Kilfinichen Killean Kilmore Parish Church Kilninian Kilvickeon Kinlochspelve Lochdon Macquarie s Mausoleum Michael Chapel Iona Mull Baptist Church Nun s Cave Carsaig Nunnery Church Iona Pennygown Rock Carvings

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/michael-chapel/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Mull Baptist Church
    of this building can still be found on the west side of the road between Bunessan and Uisken However soon afterwards between 1847 and 1851 the poorer crofters on the Duke of Argyll s estates were evicted which resulted in the loss of members from the church including some elders With one exception below all images on this page are courtesy of Dr Sue Reed Ruined meeting house from the north built c 1845 West elevation of ruined meeting house Internal view of ruined meeting house showing south gable Revival came again to the Ross between 1875 and 1876 and its membership increased to 68 In 1891 the Ross church moved its meeting house from Ardalanish to Bunessan where they built a new chapel which became known as Bunessan Baptist Church The church is one of the finest Baptist chapels in Scotland Mull Baptist Church from the west showing gable window and porch From the south showing southward extension housing the kitchen Internal view of west gable window Courtesy of Alan Parker After the retirement of Duncan Ferguson in 1877 the church was reliant on ministers coming over from Tiree although a local man from Ardchrishnish Francis William Taylor served in the church from 1913 to 1920 Until 1930 almost all the pastors were Gaelic speaking but thereafter ministers spoke only English Attendances declined again during and after the Second World War and in 1942 the church was linked with Tobermory Baptist Church for its pastoral care Subsequently in 1954 both churches came under the care of the pastor of Oban Baptist Church The church in Bunessan kept its door open by regular visits from the Oban pastor and also by using ministers who were on holiday in the area However because of the lack of local leadership the church

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/bunessan-baptist-church/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Nun’s Cave – Carsaig
    m deep and a maximum 5 m high at the front It is topped by columnar basalt The Cave and surrounding areas reflect a great deal of ecclesiastical history It is named after the nuns who are believed to have taken refuge for a short time after being driven out of Iona by reformers who destroyed the treasures and archives of Scottish Christianity and the buildings of Iona at the time of the Reformation In front of the cave is a flat area of hard grey sandstone which is covered at high tide This is the remains of a quarry that is believed to have been used as the source for the carved ornamental stonework on Iona Abbey as well as for grave slabs for chiefs and dignitaries and doors and window facings for many of the chapels on Mull Wooden wedges were driven into cracks in the rocks and when covered by the tides would expand and force the slabs apart The cave was used as a work place and shelter Work carried on here until shortly before the middle of the 19th century and it was briefly re opened for restoration work at Iona Abbey in 1875 On the cave s smooth west wall are carved various holy symbols mainly crosses some of which are so close to the ground as to suggest that the floor has risen considerably over the years Some of the carvings are believed to date from the 6th to 9th centuries but many of the simpler ones may be more recent There are two masons marks probably carved by the stone masons in the 18th or 19th century a three pronged symbol of unknown date a sailing ship possibly 18th century and a number of dates the earliest being 1633 You need to

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/nuns-cave-carsaig/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Nunnery Church – Iona
    now forms the only enclosed space in the nunnery The church has a chancel and a nave with a three bay aisle on the north and a small chapel at the east end of the aisle The chancel and north chapel have rib vaulted ceilings and a fine triangular headed window can be seen in the north chapel The capitals of the nave arcade are adorned with fine carved work The nave would have been available for use by pilgrims to Iona The chancel was used by the nuns themselves for their round of services The cloister is ruinous but sections of the east and south ranges still remain It is now maintained as a garden with a few benches where visitors can sit and enjoy the peaceful setting Three rooms are still discernible along the east range and the chapter house was the central one of these The south range comprised the refectory and kitchen Little more than the foundations of the cloister arcade now remains It was enlarged to south and west in the 15th century Beautifully carved fragments from the cloister are on display in the neighbouring Teampull Rònain St Ronan s Chapel The nuns led a contemplative and cloistered life and followed the teaching of St Augustine of Hippo in Egypt They wore black habits and as a result their church was locally called an eaglais dhubh the black church The nunnery was popular as a place to which ladies of noble birth retired and preferred to be buried A graveslab in Teampull Rònain bears the inscription Here lie Finnguala and Mariota MacInolly sometime nuns of Iona The badly damaged graveslab of Prioress Anna MacLean died 1543 can be seen in the chancel Clearly visible under her outer robe is the rochet a pleated surplice denoting

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/nunnery-church-iona/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Pennygown
    three lairds in succession who were building the roof died before the roof could be put on It couldn t be built at all because each day when the workmen returned to their work they found the previous day s building undone There is a very similar legend about St Oran s Chapel on Iona It is perhaps possible that Pennygown borrowed it However if there ever was a roof it has now disappeared although the walls are in a good state of preservation The chapel is almost 40ft long and 17 ft wide with three narrow windows with carved heads and a door on the north west At the east end of the interior stands the shaft of celtic cross 1 3 m high The lower portion of the shaft is carved with the usual island ship with raised stem and stern and a tall mast with a long cross yard at its head The upper part of shaft has a foliated design with leaves like clover On the other side are the Virgin and Child and spreading foliage The Burial ground has several stones with effigies Just outside the chapel walls lie two flat burial slabs of great interest They are composed of sandstone on which the effigies of a knight and a lady are carved in high relief The knight has his head on a pillow and his right hand on the pommel of his sheathed sword whilst his left hand holds a dirk along his left thigh His helmet is the only part of his dress which shows character The lady is simply dressed in a gown with her hands crossed and wearing a simple headdress without ornament The Knight is Allan son of Hector a man of gigantic frame and powerful strength To him is

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/pennygown/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Rock Carvings – Scoor
    it can be assumed that the original floor level was at least 0 5 m lower than the present one About sixty of the markings are single or grouped small circular or oval depressions which make no formal pattern About half of them are cup shaped averaging 50 mm in diameter and 10 mm in depth and are indistinguishable from prehistoric cup markings Many of the others however are conical rather than hemispherical in section measuring up to 90 mm across and 50 mm in depth and some appear to have been enlarged if not created in comparatively recent times The remainder include a motif closely resembling a small labyrinth device a trident and eighteen linear incised crosses including plain Latin and Greek crosses crosses with expanded barred or bifid terminals and ringed crosses Since the crosses are generally similar to those found in the Nuns Cave the cave may have been occupied in the Early Christian period probably in the late 6th 9th centuries No parallel has been found for the trident motif but it probably belongs to the later rather than to the earlier series of carvings Grid Reference NM 418 816 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/rock-carvings-scoor/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | St Columba Episcopal Church – Gruline
    was not until June 1874 that the first service took place Twenty six people were present at the morning service which was in English and 47 for the evening service held in Gaelic Finally on 4th July 1875 the church was consecrated by Bishop George Richard Mackarness it was the first church on Mull to be consecrated for several centuries It has never had a permanent minister living on the island and for many years now services have been led by a summer locum chaplaincy system and in the winter by Lay Leaders The church is in the simple gothic revival style built of whinstone with cream sandstone dressing and the gables cement coated The roof has been re tiled and a toilet store room built to the west of the sacristy which in turn has accommodated refurbishment There are several stained glass windows in memory of various people One shows St Columba and at the west end is one of Mary and Joseph Towards the rear of the church on the north side is a window by Charles Kempe depicting Charity with two children Underneath the window is a plaque in memory of Frederic Jameson Elles who drowned in Loch Frisa on 20 August 1911 at 12 years old His likeness is shown in the young boy who is standing at his mother s knee It is said to be one of the best examples of Kempe s work One of the most interesting features of the church at the east end is the wooden lectern which was given in memory of Gordon Frank Melles who was killed in the 1st World War at the age of 30 The pulpit also of wood was made by Simpson from Kendal Westmorland but the carving of a design of crossed flag

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/st-columbas-episcopal-church/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

web-archive-uk.com, 2016-10-26