Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:

Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » M » MULL-HISTORICAL-SOCIETY.CO.UK

Total: 167

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | St Ernan’s Church – Creich
    and the grounds would instantly become the Duke s property again and there would be no appeal The Feu Charter Title Deeds were duly signed and sealed with a red 6d about 2p stamp showing a crown surrounded by laurel leaves and presented for Registration at Edinburgh on the Twentieth day of October in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Ninety nine Every page was endorsed at the bottom with one bold word written in black ink Argyll The church simple and solid is built with coursed red granite from a nearby quarry and has direct fixed leaded windows with a slate roof supported on exposed trusses On the south side is a bell cote which is still in use At the north end is a small vestibule its double doors facing east and on the east wall is a vestry with south facing doors overlooking the Loch Both extensions have lean to roofs There are four mid sized gothic windows on each side of the nave and a triple light gothic window at the chancel gable The total cost of the build and furnishings was 621 much of the labour having been voluntary Inside the church there are the original dark stained wooden pews which seat up to ninety people one pew has been removed from the front to provide more room The roof trusses and rafters are collar beamed with braces and the high ceiling is made of wood The pulpit communion table and font are all at the south end of the church These were given to the church in 1952 by the War Memorial Committee and Mr Dawson Bowman of Erraid In 1970 fifteen of the leaded windows were renewed and the plasterwork removed from the south facing wall exposing the granite A new electric

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/st-ernans-creich/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | St Kilda’s – Lochbuie
    Childer Well of Kilda indicates a Norse saint of male sex probably a hermit the spelling of whose name should be St Kildar This is the accepted view An interesting object is the Celtic Cross built into the wall of the porch on the right the south wall This was unearthed at a considerable depth when digging the foundations of the present church There is no tradition of a chapel or burying found on the site which is an indication of the remoteness of the burial The Cross is of the simplest and earliest form and may be more than 800 years old The cross is of yellow sandstone probably from Carsaig The top is missing and the outline of the cross is incised the bottom of the shaft being left open A shallow groove has been cut round the centre of the ring but the angles at the intersection of the arms are more deeply hollowed The Crucifix above the Chancel was carved by Joseph Maye who played the part of Christ 114 times in the Oberammergau Passion Play He died on 1st December 1903 The late Maclaine of Lochbuie bought this Crucifix and had it placed in its present position In the wall to the right of the altar is a piece of the altar of the church of Merry le Hart in Metz the slab that covered the relics of a Bishop of Metz who died in 1851 The church was fired by the retreating French troops in 1870 and a French priest rushed into the burning church broke the covering slab and rescued the relic The late Maclaine of Lochbuie acquired the piece he being at the time the war correspondent with the German Army for the London newspaper The Times The population of Lochbuie is

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/st-kildas/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | St Oran’s Chapel – Iona
    supports the tradition that Queen Margaret d 1093 built the chapel An elaborate monument probably of late date has been inserted in the south wall of the interior and a number of monumental slabs are preserved in the chapel the roof of which has been restored Kenneth MacAlpin was buried in the Reilig Orain in the mid 9th century as it is said were succeeding Scottish kings until Macbeth d 1057 and traditionally kings of Ireland Norway and France None of the monuments of the kings remain and modern scholars are sceptical of such claims suspecting that they might have been invented to enhance Iona s image The island is the resting place of numerous leading Hebrideans such as various Lords of the Isles and other prominent members of West Highland clans including several early MacLeod chiefs Many of the monuments of medieval clan chiefs survive The politician John Smith Leader of the Labour Party who greatly loved Iona was buried here after his sudden death in 1994 The probable original wall of the graveyard is now below ground level but has been found by excavation Two railed enclosures The Ridge or Tombs of the Kings and to the east of it that of the Chiefs have existed only since 1868 when the Iona Club collected the monuments and enclosed them for protection The oldest stone now surviving in the graveyard protrudes eastward from the row of slabs in the Ridge of the Kings It is a pink granite slab bearing a simple incised Celtic cross of the 8th or 9th centuries Two posts of a corner post shrine were found in 1957 Grid Reference NM 286 245 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic Church Tobermory Catholic House of Prayer Iona Cill

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/st-orans-chapel/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | St Ronan’s Chapel – Iona
    St Ronan s was restored in 1923 and again in 1993 and is now home to the Nunnery Museum The Chapel has been re roofed to house many of the interesting carved stones that were formerly found in the grounds of the Abbey Ronan to whom the church is dedicated died in 737 The church is 11 3 m long and 4 9 m wide internally The doorway was in the west end of the north wall but the north west angle was destroyed by 1896 A hoard of gold objects consisting of a finger ring parts of a fillet and a small fragment of wire were found at the south east corner of the church on 29th September 1923 during earth removal The circumstances of the find suggested that it had been a temporary deposit possibly made in the 13th century In 1992 excavations took place inside the church with the aim of gaining an understanding of any floor deposits before the church was refurbished as a museum Several distinct stratigraphic phases were identified dating from the early Christian period to the present day earliest phase a cemetery of east west extended inhumations succeeded by a small rectangular building with clay bonded walls and lime mortar wall rendering this building then replaced by St Ronan s church itself When St Ronan s was built the walls of the early clay bonded building were levelled to low butts and used as foundations for its east and south walls In post reformation years once the church was no longer used for worship and was in ruins it became the site of a large number of post medieval burials Grid Reference NM 285 241 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic Church Tobermory Catholic House

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/st-ronans-chapel/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | The Abbey – Iona
    The little stone building called St Columba s Shrine beside the door leading into the later abbey church may date from the 9th century Columba s monastery was repeatedly raided by the Vikings Thirty eight monks were massacred in 805 and following this Columba s monks returned to Ireland to a monastery at Kells and others fled to the Continent to establish monasteries in Belgium France and Switzerland St Blathmac and other monks had returned to Iona but were martyred in a raid in 825 when the Abbey was burned As a result late in that century Columba s relics were taken for safekeeping to Dunkeld in Perthshire and to Kells However it is thought that the Abbey wasn t completely deserted as is evidenced by the death on Iona in 980 of a retired king of Ireland Amlaib Cuaran indicating that Iona still retained considerable importance After having been seized by the King of Norway and held for fifty years Iona was recaptured by Somerled King of the Isles who then invited renewed Irish involvement in 1164 As a result the central part of the Cathedral was built and Somerled built St Oran s Chapel as a family burial place Subsequently in 1230 his son Ranald Reginald Lord of the Isles re founded the old monastery as a Benedictine abbey on the Columban foundations The new Abbey church was built on the site of Columba s original church It was dedicated to St Mary the Virgin and built on a cruciform plan The cloister was to the north of the church the chapter house centrally placed along the east range and living and dining areas above it and in the north range Ranald also established Iona Nunnery an early Augustinian nunnery which was built south of the Abbey buildings The remains of this complex are one of the best examples of a medieval nunnery left in Britain The grave slabs of some of the early nuns remain including that of a remarkable Prioress Anna Maclean who died in 1543 Her grave slab lies in the Chancel of the Nunnery Church but is badly damaged Clearly visible under her outer robe is the rochet a pleated surplice denoting the Augustinian Order The Nunnery buildings were rebuilt in the 15th century and fell into disrepair after the Reformation The Abbey church was substantially expanded in the 15th century but the monastic life came to an end at the Protestant Reformation in 1560 when the Abbey was dismantled and abandoned and its monks and libraries dispersed as was the case with numerous other abbeys throughout the British Isles It was briefly revitalised by Charles I in the 1630s as the Cathedral of the Isles but faded into oblivion when bishops were abolished in the Scottish Church It again re emerged in the 1870s when the 8th Duke of Argyll began restoring the buildings It was substantially rebuilt and restored in 1899 after the original Benedictine Abbey and associated buildings were gifted to

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/the-abbey-iona/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | The Gallery, former Free Church – Tobermory
    pointed arch doorway The impressive rose shaped stained glass window in the east gable was gifted by Alexander Allan of Aros The Established Church was in existence until the Disruption in 1843 when the Free Church was formed Members first met in Columba Buildings now partly occupied by Mull Museum but when the congregation grew too large they built a larger and more imposing place of worship to a design by John Hay of Edinburgh Construction took place in 1877 and 1878 and the new church opened on 1st Jan 1879 It ceased to be used a place of worship in 1964 when the Free Church bought back the smaller church of St Mary s now the Evangelical Church a few buildings to the south east on the Tobermory harbour front The larger church was then sold and converted into The Gallery which sold souvenirs etc It has subsequently been used as a Spar supermarket but has now been re opened as The Gallery with a café and again selling souvenirs Click on images to enlarge Grid Reference NM 504 552 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic Church Tobermory Catholic House of

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/free-curch-tobermory/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Tobermory Parish Church
    hence the name Parliamentary Churches A Manse was also provided but this is now a private house known as Mansefield In 1895 the old church was demolished and the existing Victorian gothic style building erected It was opened 1897 by Rev Norman MacLeod of Inverness Additions and improvements have since been made including a church hall added in 1890 The interior of the church is comfortably furnished and contains many items attesting to Tobermory s history and also to the generosity of previous church members and Naval personnel stationed here during the Second World War These include the colourful rose window the lectern the baptismal font and the new organ which was installed in 1988 A stained glass window commemorates A W Graham a native of town who was lost at sea There is also a memorial to the fallen of the First World War Gaelic inscription adapted from Psalm 72 v 17 their names shall live for evermore The heavy studded outer doors of the church came from Aros House when it was demolished Grid Reference NM 504 553 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic Church Tobermory Catholic House of Prayer

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/tobermory-parish-church/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Torosay Parish Church
    box was a board where change was placed and shown around Around 1803 Mrs MacLaine of Lochbuie gave two communion cups which are still in use today and in 1829 Colonel Campbell of Possil donated the church bell and baptismal font he strongly opposed the set up of the Free Church 1836 was known as the year of the merited hastening of the Almighty when on Sunday 15 May at 3 pm a solar eclipse occurred In that year the diarist Lauchlan Maclaine s entry for Sunday 15 May concerning that morning s service led by the minister of Torosay Mr Clark was Gaelic service excellent discourse Luke 21 v 25 given to a very large congregation This discourse was appropriate as a Solar Eclipse was to take place at the hour of 3 o clock PM This took place and was visible with grand effect to the naked eye In 1900 the first organ was installed in the church and used for the English service The precentor s box was removed in 1962 and the present communion table put in its place In order to help with the heating of the church a porch was built over the existing door in 1967 The church was extended in 1982 to include a kitchen and toilet A new electric organ was also installed It is a plain Georgian kirk with white harled walls arch headed windows and a slate roof with a bird cage belfry on the east gable It is simple internally with plain white walls pitch pine pews pulpit and communion table The pulpit is in the centre of the south wall The ground floor stalls are orientated either to face the centre of the church from its ends or to face the pulpit in the central portion of

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/torosay/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

web-archive-uk.com, 2016-10-21