Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:

Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » M » MULL-HISTORICAL-SOCIETY.CO.UK

Total: 167

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Torr Aint
    short distance south of and above the deserted settlement of Aintuim A single wall surrounded a 70 m by 30 m space but has been robbed out to such an extent that very few traces remain on the north east and south west sides Long stretches of the lowest course of stones of the outer face are still in place on the north west and south east sides Most of

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/castles-fortifications/hill-forts/torr-aint/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Duart Castle, Craignure
    the 13th century The north west extremity of the rock which is somewhat lower than the remainder of the summit area lay outside the main defensive wall and may have enclosed to a small ancilliary court containing a kitchen and other offices together with the castle well which is all that now survives Towards the end of the 14th century following its acquisition by the MacLeans the castle was enlarged any existing buildings on the north west portion of the rock were cleared and a substantial tower house was erected This has very solid walls those on the outer sides being heavily buttressed while the inner south east wall was built directly against the outer face of the 13th century curtain wall The tower had a ground floor cellar and three upper storeys the first floor being occupied by a hall The tower house Courtesy of Dr Sue Reed The court yard Courtesy of Dr Sue Reed No doubt the erection of the tower house enabled much of the accommodation provided by the original courtyard buildings to be abandoned or re allocated but the first major alteration evident in this part of the castle appears to have taken place about the middle of the 16th century when the present south east range was constructed This had two main storeys including vaulted cellars a first floor hall and perhaps a part garret At the same time a gatehouse was added to the original entrance gateway in the south west curtain wall to strengthen it and the south east section of the adjacent curtain and the south angle were rebuilt The upper works of the tower house were probably remodelled at this time too and the postern doorway at the north corner of the castle seems to have gone out of use

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/castles-fortifications/castles/duart-castle-craignure/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Torosay Castle
    p 16 Although Bryce was the leading architect of the Scots Baronial school of architecture the southern elevation of the new house was designed in the style of a French chateau The house was completed in 1858 and the Campbells named it Duart House appropriating the name of the ruined castle across the bay The estate was improved with the commercial planting of trees while the park surrounding the house was landscaped including the building of the now derelict Campbell mausoleum John Campbell continued to develop the estate until he suffered financially with the onset of the American Civil War 1861 1865 which led to the collapse of the price of sugar and in 1865 the now 14 000 acre estate was bought by Arbuthnot Guthrie for the huge sum of 90 000 The estate supported a gamekeeper at 45 per annum a forester at 40 a ploughman 24 a gardener 36 two apprentices at 5 per annum each plus numerous other estate workers and house servants Duart House was lit by gas supplied by a gasometer which consumed 14 tonnes of coal a year at 1 per ton and used 45 tonnes of domestic coal for heating etc at 12 shillings 60p per ton The farms of Scallastle and Garmony were acquired in 1867 adding a further 10 000 acres to the estate Arbuthnot Guthrie died in 1897 leaving Duart House the estate and various other properties to his nephew Murray who promptly put his Mull inheritance on the market the extensive sales brochure can be viewed here on the RCAHMS website However Murray had doubts about the sale and when he and Olive his wife of two years came and saw the property he took if off the market just as promptly as he had put it on Murray had plans for the house and gardens During a trip to Italy in 1900 he found a derelict house on the outskirts of Padua in the garden of which were nineteen life size statues of artisan figures attributed to Antonio Bonazza 1698 1763 He had them brought back to Mull where they became the focus of the famous statue walk One side of the statue walk Courtesy Jean Maclean Murray died a premature death at the age of 41 in 1911 but before he died he sold the ruin of Duart Castle to Sir Fitzroy Maclean thereby restoring to the Macleans their heritage of 200 years Robson 1998 p 30 Then in 1912 Murray s widow Olive wrote to Sir Fitzroy telling him I wish to leave the name of Duart to you alone Robson 1998 p 31 and that was the point at which Duart House was renamed Torosay The indomitable Olive carried on with the support and affection of her estate workers and in 1926 her grandson David James aged 6 began to visit his grandmother at Torosay on a regular basis Under the tutelage of his grandmother David came to love Mull and the Torosay estate

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/castles-fortifications/castles/torosay-castle/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Aros Castle
    gateway in the west wall of the bailey Another track probably of comparatively recent origin leads westwards from the gateway passing across the bottom of the ditch and through the outer bank The hall house is more or less oblong on plan with walls varying in thickness from 1 7 m to 3 0 m The structure appears to have comprised two main storeys and a part attic The walls now stand to a maximum height of about 10m Architectural details suggest that it was built in the 13th century The curtain wall that formerly enclosed the bailey survives only along parts of the west and south sides It varies in width from 1 1 m to 1 7 m and now rises to a maximum external height of 1 2 m Elsewhere the wall is represented only by a turf grown mound of debris while along part of the east side where it could be quarried easily it has disappeared completely The interior of the bailey is much overgrown but the stone footings of a rectangular building may be seen close to the east wall The remains of at least five other buildings can be seen south west of

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/castles-fortifications/castles/aros-castle/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Dun Ara Castle
    the short assent to Dun Ara is rocky and steep appropriate foot ware is recommended The castle was fortified by enclosing the entire rock summit with a curtain wall of stone and lime which varies from about 1 3 m to 1 8 m in thickness It is best preserved on the north east side where it rises to a maximum height of 1 8 m but little remains on the south west and south east sides The masonry was built with coarse lime mortar much of it has washed out of the facework giving it the appearance of dry stone walling It is possible that in places the lower courses of masonry pre date the medieval castle and belong to an earlier fort that occupied the same site The entrance is on the south east side In the interior are the footings of a number buildings of which the largest was probably a hall measuring 12 3 m from east to west by 5 7 m transversely The west end has been divided off from the remainder of the building by a stone partition wall but his may be a secondary construction The other buildings were of dry stone construction Fragments of a dry stone wall lie below the east face of the rock and enclose an area centred on the castle entrance This was probably a defensive outwork Scattered around the base of the rock are the remains of eight sub rectangular buildings with associated cultivation strips and field clearance heaps This was a small township which probably grew up during the period that the castle was occupied The buildings none of which stands to more than 0 1 m in height vary considerably in size and one may have been a combined barn and corn drying kiln

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/castles-fortifications/castles/dun-ara-castle/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Glengorm Castle
    The castle was built in 1860 by James Forsyth of Dervaig It is said that the laird asked a local woman what she thought would be a good name for the castle She suggested Glengorm and he agreed obviously not knowing that this was the Gaelic for Blue Glen a reference to the blue smoke that filled the air when so many of the houses were burned down Legend has

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/castles-fortifications/castles/glengorm-castle/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Drains
    of the castle had been undermined by the constant action of rain on all four elevations In many areas the lime mortar had been washed out leaving large holes which had allowed the water to get in to all parts of the building Of course the fact that the roof was missing was also an important factor Although Historic Scotland would not permit the building of a completely new roof due to lack of knowledge of how the roof might have looked and also the cost it was imperative that we now did everything we could to keep the water out When the castle was built drains were incorporated into the elevations and these threw the rainwater away from the walls They were made of stone and slate and had deteriorated to the extent that they no longer functioned at all If any water went out of the old drain it simply streamed down the wall taking mortar with it and eroding the stone work We knew that we needed to throw the water as far from the masonry as possible so the new drains are made of lead and extend well out from the walls This work was all

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/castles-fortifications/castles/moy-castle-lochbuie-2/drains/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | The new lead spouts
    it it would sag in hot sunshine stainless steel rods were threaded through at the top of each side of the new drains In the photographs below you can see the curled over top edge of the lead through which the steel rods fit The drains extend about 500 mm beyond the wall in order to throw excess water as far from the building as possible Click on images to

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/castles-fortifications/castles/moy-castle-lochbuie-2/the-new-lead-spouts/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

web-archive-uk.com, 2016-10-23