Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:

Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » M » MULL-HISTORICAL-SOCIETY.CO.UK

Total: 167

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Killean
    Chapel of St John and burial ground click here The township of Killean has several ruined houses barns and enclosures spread across a large valley There is also a substantial sheep fank which consists of a large holding pen and three separating pens Click on images to enlarge Panorama from the North Courtesy of Anita Tunstall Panorama from the South Courtesy of Anita Tunstall Courtesy of Anita Tunstall Grid Reference

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/habitations-ruins/killean/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Knockroy
    favour of the new tenant Certainly from the turn of the century no more multiple tenants are named as farming at Knockroy and it remained part of the Tiroran Estate until well into the 20th century If the walls could talk a Tour of the Township From aerial photographs and from surveying the ground we know that at the end of its life the township consisted of at least 27 individual structures This included houses associated buildings a kiln a possible winnowing barn and enclosures all contained within a head dyke All remains of earlier phases of occupation have been destroyed or buried The site plan below shows that the outlines of these features can still be seen on the ground The remains of the buildings lie in rough clusters perhaps representing separate households or family groups Each of the structures on the site plan is numbered to correspond with the brief descriptions provided Knockroy site plan Pennyghael in the Past Archive 1 Possible winnowing barn After harvesting it was necessary to winnow grain throw it into the air to separate the grain from the chaff This was often done in a winnowing barn which would have had doorways opposite each other and facing into the prevailing wind to provide a through draft 2 The grain was then dried in a corn drying kiln The one at Knockroy stands a good distance away from the clusters of buildings because of the perennial danger of fire 3 Each tenant would have had a certain number of sheep and black cattle which would have grazed communally on the unenclosed land beyond the head dyke This substantial dyke wall was constructed of stone and turf and kept the livestock away from the township and arable land They were allowed onto the arable only for teathing i e to trample and manure the ground after harvesting 4 This small building standing just outside the head dyke may have been a pound in which straying animals perhaps from neighbouring farms were kept temporarily 5 6 The remains of these enclosures were recorded prior to the felling of the trees and are now no longer visible 7 10 This group of buildings may have housed one of the tenant family groups 7 A small building such as this built into the slope of the ground was probably a byre 8 9 The larger buildings would have been houses round cornered on the outside with battered walls narrowing from the bottom to the top and built of coursed dry stone masonry In 8 a short stretch of wall may have been an internal partition and was later used as a lamb pen Once the township was cleared the land was probably used as part of a sheep walk an area of grassland where sheep can roam freely The shepherds constructed these pens and used them when orphan lambs needed to bond with a surrogate mother The lamb and ewe were left in the small pen the orphan

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/habitations-ruins/knockroy/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Penalbanach
    Penalbanach Penalbanach Penalbanach consists of a late 19th century farmhouse fank several enclosures and a schoolhouse All have been planted through but three buildings are still obvious after felling The 1881 OS map showed a farmstead which included four buildings and a series of enclosures Click on images to enlarge Grid Reference NM 468 579 Castles Fortifications Brochs Crannogs Duns Forts Castles Settlements Allt an Tairbh Ardmore Caliach Gualachaolish Inivea

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/habitations-ruins/penalbanach/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Shiaba
    on the track fades and is difficult to follow but is just possible to discern by the lay of the land Follow this faint trail for about half of a kilometre in a north easterly direction until you find a stony path Going south east this track takes you directly to Shiaba Walls and platforms possibly of very early dwellings and other structures lie on both sides of the track but the first substantial ruin is the two roomed schoolhouse which is sited some distance outside the main township Weather and chores permitting the children were given a rudimentary schooling here Click on image to enlarge Shiaba site map Courtesy of John Clare The settlement consists of about twelve roofless buildings and other enclosures The buildings are of typical local construction i e dry stone houses with rounded corners where families lived at the front and the animals bedded down in the back during winter Beyond the Schoolhouse across the burn lies a group of ruined buildings including the Schoolmaster s House with its enclosed garden and outbuildings and Shiaba Cottage The cottage is well preserved because it was the last building in the township to be occupied Its walls are largely intact and internally there are fireplaces at either end one containing the remains of a cast iron range and indications of the positions of the central partition walls The clear outline of a grain drying kiln can be seen to the north of Shiaba Cottage Its flue is still intact The remains of another group of dwellings byres stack yards and other structures lie to the east North of the settlement the land was planted with conifers in the 1970 s so that the remains of a further series of dwellings and other buildings are lost amongst the trees A burn Alllt Cnoc na Fannaige Stream of the Hill of the Lazybed flows south from the former township and what appear to be the remains of the platforms of two horizontal water mills click mills and their associated lades are sited on its banks South of the township two further ruined dwellings can be seen at the bay of Traigh Ban These are assumed to be fishermen s cottages Further south again are the ruins of a chapel and other structures The chapel stands in a small enclosure and appears to have very early origins the external altar is still well preserved two large standing stones one with a hole mark the entrance to the single cell structure and there is a small niche in the external wall face to the left of the doorway The township is sited on land that was considered to be the most fertile on the Ross and is near a field system laid out in regular plots or crofts which indicates the establishment of a crofting settlement superseding the old runrig system The change from runrig to crofts occurred in about 1804 Shiaba is considered significant because it is a physical testament

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/habitations-ruins/shiaba/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Tavool Workers’ Houses
    are Pennyghael in the Past Archive The MacGillivray House and outshot Cairn on King s Mound with Baker s House beyond Drawing the Baker s House MacLean House from King s Mound Small building in hazel copse Parts of old stove Baker s House The Tavool Workers Houses lie on either side of the track amid pasture land that has been heavily infested by bracken It is south facing and comprises two cottages still standing to their full height two gardens and the remains of at least seven other rectangular structures The remains appear to belong to several phases of occupation four having stonework to knee height whilst three are almost completely robbed out The pasture land to the south of the houses has been enclosed by a dyke wall and is bounded on the south side by a large natural mound known locally as the King s or Kings Mound To the north west beyond an area of pasture land is a substantial dry stone dyke probably built after the farm became a sheep walk an open area where sheep graze freely in the 1840s In 1494 McLean of Lochbuy was given royal charter of land previously held by the Lord of the Isles Amongst these lands was Tayobill Tapull or Tavool on the Ardmeanach peninsula The land remained part of the Lochbuy Lochbuie Estate until the 1840s when it was sold The Farm had been a joint tenancy but now became a single unit No trace remains of the old township there was a population of 64 recorded in the 1841 Site Plan Census although some of the robbed out structures may have belonged to the pre improvement period Information as to the last occupants of these houses was provided by Chrissy MacGillivray 1898 1989 the last tenant of Burg Farm She also had a fund of local knowledge and legends relating to the area On the site plan each structure has been allocated a letter to assist in identifying it A This was the MacGillivray House Only the footings and first course of stones remain and the area within the house has been used in more recent times to dump old wire etc It is thought that the tenants were gone by the time of the 1881 Census A The MacGilvray House B The Baker s House C Ruin of house garden and enclosure D The MacLean House and Garden B The Baker s House was occupied rather later though it was empty by the early 1900s It is unroofed and the walls which are square cornered at the front are round cornered at the back Behind and within the building the remains of what appears to be a small cast iron stove were found C The vestigial remains of another building which may have been a house and an associated enclosure lie in front of a garden in which there is still a thriving rhubarb patch D The Macleans House is a typical one roomed black

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/daily-life/habitations-ruins/tavool-workers-houses/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Glenforsa Airfield
    everyone in the bar A Celebratory Landing G ACER landing Northern Echo Sept 14th 1966 Here a cutting from the Northern Echo 14 Sept 1966 commemorates the landing of G ASER as it brings the CO of the Royal Engineers unit to inspect their handiwork David Howitt had the honour of being on board Glenforsa Airfield opens Sept 13th 1966 Courtesy of David Howitt At about that time the photograph on the right was taken showing the strip from the east The old Glenforsa Hotel of which more later is visible in the background Many years on Glenforsa from the air again Aerial view from west Courtesy of David Howitt Here the camera aircraft is approaching the field from the west Nestling in the trees the Glenforsa Hotel is within taxiing distance of the runway how many small airfields can offer such a facility In the distance we see the Forsa river delta and beyond it the Scottish mainland A slight hazard is a 500 foot hill at the camera aircraft s 4 o clock a couple of miles from the 06 threshold When taking off to the west pilots must make a climbing turn to avoid this and a similar turn on final when landing to the east Ireland is not far away and many visiting aircraft come over from the Emerald Isle As a result the atmosphere in the hotel bar can at times become highly convivial Sometimes the excitement is too much for one of the locals David says that he had just been for a flight with an Irishman which might account for his state Possibly he needed treatment with the national beverage to calm his nerves after the experience The Great Mull Air Mystery In his brief history of the airfield at the top of this page David Howitt makes no mention of the strange event that took place on Christmas Eve 1975 which has become known as The Great Mull Air Mystery Why on that evening after dinner with his girl friend and a bottle of wine did hotel guest Peter Gibbs decide to take off and do a night circuit Why did his aircraft vanish and his corpse turn up several months later 400 feet up the hill within a couple of miles of the hotel Local writer Scott MacAdam has published a short book giving the facts about this extraordinary happening The event also inspired a surreal novel These Demented Lands by Oban author Alan Warner in which Glenforsa Hotel appears transparently disguised as the Drome Hotel Click here to read an excerpt from the book Alan Warner has embroidered the Peter Gibbs tragedy to the extent of having two aircraft doing night circuits in opposite directions and colliding For years after the tragedy wild rumours abounded as to Peter Gibb s motive in performing this apparently insane act It was speculated that he was an agent of MI5 doing cloak and dagger work in Northern Ireland He succeeded in flying over

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/agricultural-industrial-sites-2/glenforsa-airfield/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Lighthouses
    placed on the point in 2003 Character Flashing two white every 10 seconds Focal plane 17 metres Range 8 nautical miles Position 56 39 4 N 006 07 6 W At the s outh east entrance to the Sound where Loch Linnhe joins it there are a further three major lighthouses Lismore Lighthouse Lady Rock Courtesy of Peter Williams Black s Tower courtesy of Peter Williams Lismore lighthouse at the entrance to the Sound is not on Lismore as the name suggests but on Eilean Musdile separated from the main island by a small channel Read more Lady s Rock Light is located on a rock submerged at high tide one nautical mile due east of Duart Point Read more Sir William Black Memorial Lighthouse is also sometimes known as Duart Point Lighthouse Read more Besides the five major lights there are three minor lights in the sound of Mull as well as a number of lit beacons or lit buoys marking the many rocks shoals and islets that are scattered along its length Ross Of Mull On an islet south east of Bunessan lies the Eilean nan Liathanaich Light which is visible in clear weather from Bunessan foreshore Lighthouses

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/agricultural-industrial-sites-2/lighthouses-sue/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Black’s Tower/Duart Point
    automatic solar powered light is on the top of a small castellated gothic tower built of granite The lighthouse was built in 1900 as memorial to the Scottish novelist William Black 1841 1898 It was placed at his favourite spot by a group of his friends who commissioned the Edinburgh architect Sir William Lieper to design it Character Three Flashes every 18 seconds Sectored Red White Focal Plane 14 metres

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/agricultural-industrial-sites-2/lighthouses-sue/duart-point/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

web-archive-uk.com, 2016-10-26