Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:

Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » M » MULL-HISTORICAL-SOCIETY.CO.UK

Total: 167

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Eilean na Liathanaich Light
    originally established in 1901 but was modernised with square skeletal tower clad in Aluminium in 2001 The light is 12 metres above sea level and is directional showing either red or white light to indicate the safe channel Character A sectored light flashing Red White every 6 seconds Focal Plane 12 metres Ranges Red 6 nautical miles White 8 nautical miles Position 56 20 5 N 006 16 2 W

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/agricultural-industrial-sites-2/lighthouses-sue/eilean-na-liathanaich-light/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Ladys Rock Light
    2001 the original lantern was replaced by a short skeletal tower clad in red painted aluminium panels The rock is so named because the wife of one of the first Lords of Duart was stranded on it after displeasing her husband Luckily for her a passing fisherman heard her cries and rescued her before the rising tide engulfed her and as the saying goes they lived happily ever after This

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/agricultural-industrial-sites-2/lighthouses-sue/ladys-rock-light/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Lighthouses and shore bases historically connected with Mull
    those serving on Skerryvore Lighthouse The white painted circular cast iron signal house was used to communicate with both lighthouses using semaphore and as an observation point so that the lights could be seen to confirm that all was well offshore Note in the period when the lookout was used both observed lighthouses had more powerful lights and were visible now after automation with reduced power they are not always visible Dubh Artach bears 225 T 14 nautical miles and Skerryvore bears 252 T 26 nautical miles from the lookout point Skerryvore Lighthouse is on the Torran Rocks that lie about 26 nautical miles from Iona in a westerly direction Alan Stevenson built the lighthouse in 1844 to protect shipping from a group of exceptionally dangerous rocks that imperilled all ships approaching the west coast ports of Scotland The lighthouse tower is Mull granite which was quarried at Camas Tuath near Bunessan Its base is 13 m 42 ft in diameter with walls 3 m 9 5 ft thick The original signal tower was at Hynish Tiree but moved to Erraid in 1892 when the Erraid Observatory was used The lighthouse was badly damaged by fire on the night of 16 March 1954 after a lengthy period of restoration it was returned to service in 1959 Character Flashing White every 10 seconds Focal Plane 46 metres Range 23 nautical miles Position 56 19 3 N 007 06 8 W Dubh Artach Lighthouse was built between 1869 and 1872 using stone quarried on Erraid and transported to the site twenty tons at a time on a barge towed by a paddle tug The lengthy time taken to erect the tower was mainly due to the site s inaccessibility and poor weather conditions The builders were accommodated in a temporary iron barrack

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/agricultural-industrial-sites-2/lighthouses-sue/lighthouses-and-shore-bases-historically-connected-with-mull/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Lismore Lighthouse
    500 in 1830 The lighthouse a 26 metre tower with its lantern on top took about three years to build at a cost of 4 250 The first light established in 1833 was a fixed white light but this was soon changed to a flashing one The tower is painted white and stands out from the background so that by day and night it guides shipping in the Sound of

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/agricultural-industrial-sites-2/lighthouses-sue/lismore-lighthouse/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Minor lights in Sound of Mull
    Mull The light is a modern aluminium clad skeletal tower placed on the island in 2001 when many of the minor lights in the region were modernised Character Flashing White every 3 seconds Focal plane 6 metres Range 5 nautical miles Position 56 29 8 N 005 42 7 W Ardtornish Point Lighthouse Courtesy of Peter Williams Ardtornish Point Lighthouse was established by David Stevenson in 1927 as a cast iron octagonal tower on Ardtornish point a headland jutting out into the Sound of Mull from Morvern However in 2001 this was replaced by a skeletal tower clad with white aluminium panels The solar powered light is a sectored light showing two flashes every 10 seconds either red green or white depending on the direction of approach Character A Sectored light Two flashes Red Green or White every 10 seconds Ranges White 8 nautical miles Red and Green 5 nautical miles Position 56 31 09 N 005 45 21 W Eileanan Glasa courtesy of Oliver M Dixon Green Islands Eileannan Glasa Lighthouse was first established in 1906 but in 2001 a tower similar to Ardtornish Point lighthouse was erected on the site To distinguish it from Ardtornish it has a

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/agricultural-industrial-sites-2/lighthouses-sue/minor-lights-in-sound-of-mull/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Rubha nan Gall
    when the light was automated The tower is on a small islet joined to the keepers house and the shore by a bridge The light is exhibited from a black painted lantern room at the top of a 19 metre white painted masonry tower Access is by a one mile walk along the cliff top path from Tobermory Character Flashing White every 3 seconds Focal Plane 17 metres Range 15

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/agricultural-industrial-sites-2/lighthouses-sue/rubha-nan-gall/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Churches
    Scoor Nuns Cave Carsaig Medieval Churches Cill an Ailean Glen Aros Inch Kenneth Kilvickeon Pennygown Kilfinichen Killean Kilcolmkill Kilmore Dervaig St Ronan s Church Iona St Oran s Chapel Iona Michael Chapel Iona Nunnery Church Iona The Abbey Iona Post Reformation Kilninian St Kilda s Lochbuie 19th Century Bunessan Parish Church Mull Baptist Church Bunessan Telford Churches Ulva Kinlochspelve Salen Tobermory Iona Lochdon MacQuarie s Mausoleum Gruline St Columba Episcopal Church Gruline Baptist Church Tobermory Tobermory Parish Church Torosay Parish Church St Ernan s Church C reich Ross of Mull 20th Century Kilmore Parish Church Dervaig United Free Church former Tobermory Catholic Church Tobermory The Gallery former Free Church Tobermory Current Places of Worship Church of Scotland Tobermory Dervaig Salen Torosay Bunessan Iona Tobermory Evangelical Church Tobermory Mull Baptist Church Bunessan Scottish Episcopal Church Gruline Catholic Tobermory Iona Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic Church Tobermory Catholic House of Prayer Iona Cill an Ailean Glen Aros Inch Kenneth Iona Parish Church Kilcolmkill Kilmore Kilfinichen Killean Kilmore Parish Church Kilninian Kilvickeon Kinlochspelve Lochdon Macquarie s Mausoleum Michael Chapel Iona Mull Baptist Church Nun s Cave Carsaig Nunnery Church Iona Pennygown Rock Carvings Scoor

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Salen
    were unbearable at times with so many people sitting squashed together However it was to be several years later that through the efforts of the incumbent at that time Rev Colin MacCallum the presbytery agreed to build a new church Final plans were drawn up during mid 1897 and the new church was opened on 9th July 1899 by the Rev Dr Norman Macleod from Inverness a member of the Macleods of Morvern The church was full in spite of it being a stormy day and Rev Macleod preached a weighty and impressive sermon on Luke 9 28 29 at both the English and Gaelic services The building is mid Gothic in style with a cruciform plan of chancel and nave together with north and south transepts The external walls are of coursed Ardshiel bullfaced granite and freestone facings The pulpit was sited in the centre of the chancel and at the time caused Rev Dr Macleod to comment on there being room for improvement to the internal structure To see such a lovely building from the outside and then to go in and find a very noticeable pulpit placed in the very centre of the chancel was a great disappointment as he felt it should have been in its proper place to one side or the other as was originally planned This comment was taken up for several weeks in letters to the Oban Times but the pulpit remained in this position for 60 years The harmonium was in the north eastern corner and near by was a curtained off area that was used as the vestry and could be entered from an outside door This door was eventually filled in to match the surrounding stonework in 1962 The present harmonium a Technics Digital Piano was purchased in 1999 The wall around the church was completed sometime in 1908 or early 1909 through the efforts of the Rev Colin MacCallum who requested an enclosing wall of sufficient height and stability in order to protect the church from the encroachment of people and animals The church seated 260 people and cost 1 300 to build which was more than the original estimate Although the new church was a great improvement on the old one it came with new responsibilities and worries not least of which was a debt that would remain until as late as 1905 In 1933 a vestry known as The Guild Room was added to the church as was heating The funding for this was raised through the efforts of the Woman s Guild Electricity was finally installed in 1958 and in 1959 the pulpit was moved to the side towards the south transept remaining there for a further 33 years Following years of trying to keep up with the repairs on the church in March 1991 it was completely restored and converted into a building that could be used in many different ways as well as for worship Restoration was completed in November 1992 Early in

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/salen/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

web-archive-uk.com, 2016-10-28