Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:

Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » M » MULL-HISTORICAL-SOCIETY.CO.UK

Total: 167

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Kilvickeon
    early Christian buildings Many surviving sheela na gigs are found in Ireland This is one of only five still in existence in Scotland The Iona Nunnery has another Whatever their origins they were believed to ward off evil and death The church from the west Windows can be seen opposite each other on the north and south walls Two further windows may have existed on the east and west walls The interior at one time was divided into the nave and the chancel the latter comprising a third of the eastern end Holes to fix the timber screen can still be seen in the north and south walls These sockets are not directly opposite each other so that the screen would have crossed the church at a slight angle Plaque marking the original position of the Mariota Stone in the nave In the nave until recent years there was a late medieval grave slab 1500 1560 with an inscription beginning HIC IACET MA RIOTA FIL IA Here lies Mariota daughter of This was a handsome tapered slate slab with a foliate cross and inscription at the top and two plant scrolls topped by animals in the lower half It is fortunate that the stone was recorded by the RCAHMS because it was first damaged and then stolen A replica is now displayed in a protective housing just inside the entrance to the graveyard It will not be returned to its original position in the nave but the depression left by the removal of the stone can still be seen against the south wall of the nave It has been infilled with a wooden plaque to ensure that the original position of the stone is not lost Mariota Stone in protective housing Graveyard from south east showing protective housing for Mariota Stone Mariota Stone images courtesy of Dr Sue Reed Maroita Stone in protective housing Mariota Stone detail Mariota Stone detail Mariota Stone Detail Gravestones of unknown sailors GRAVE YARD The current grave yard is roughly oblong in shape but the original burial ground would have been a more relaxed oval area as was common for medieval burial grounds Traces of the old shape can be seen in the south west corner where a curved rise in the ground marks the old boundary It is not known when the modern oblong shape was established 18th century and there has since been a further extension on the east side which houses more recent graves Again a rise in the ground running north from the west side of the gate across to a large grave enclosure marks the line of the previous wall There is evidence of an earlier gate in the south wall the current gate being in the more recent extension The grave yard is full of interesting and varied grave stones bearing different emblems and local family names including those of Macnevin McNeil McPhail McGillivray Macdonald Mackinnen MacLean and Cameron They date from medieval to post reformation and the most

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/kilvickeon/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Burial Grounds
    and surrounded by the turf covered remains of a 1 0 m thick dry stone wall It contains several rough grave markers In the south west area of the enclosure are a group of four large recumbent slate slabs one of which was erected by Hector Allan to commemorate his father George who died at Scallasdale in 1799 Grid Reference NM 710 376 Garmony Lag na Cille burial ground This ancient burial ground is situated in a clearing of a mature Forestry Commission plantation about a quarter of a mile north of Garmony Although the name Cille implies that it was once associated with a chapel sited on or near the site nothing remains on the ground to verify this All that remains are the footings of a dry stone wall forming an enclosure about 14 m square There is no recorded history but it evidently served a number of deserted villages between Garmony and Fishnish Point The last burial took place in the 19th century but the burial ground is said to have been out of use for a long period prior to this Grid Reference NM 671 406 Glenbyre St Columba s Well Tobar Choluim Chille This is a small fresh water spring situated immediately to the east of the old track from Lochbuie to Carsaig and about 1 km north east of Glenbyre It is still used occasionally and maybe the well at Loch Buie the medicinal properties of which are mentioned in a late 17th century topographical account of the area The OS Name Book of 1878 indicates that Uamh a Chrabhaiche the cave of the devout person is near the well but its exact location is now lost Grid Reference NM 590 243 Glencannel burial ground This site lies at the head of Loch Ba It is a sub rectangular enclosure measuring 22 m from north to south and is reputed to have been a chapel and burial ground The chapel and the east half of the burial ground have been destroyed by the construction of a large 19th century sheepfold The only visible remains are the south wall and part of the north wall which survive as stony mounds about 1 2 m thick and 0 4 m high In the remaining part of the burial ground are a few rough grave markers and a five unnamed slabs Next to these graves are the remains of a small rectangular enclosure measuring some 5 m from WNW to ESE by 3 m transversely This has been too badly damaged to be identifiable as an associated structure Grid Reference NM 600 345 Glenforsa Cuil Mhurchaidh long cist burials These burials lie about 460 m west of Glenforsa Hotel on an area of level ground They were discovered while ploughing was taking place in the 1960s A number of graves oriented east to west in two rows running north to south were exposed about 30 cm below ground level Although the side slabs had collapsed the capstones were still in place One grave was fully excavated It was 1 9 m long and about 60 cm wide and roughly lined with small stone slabs but no identifiable remains were found Although there are no records of any ecclesiastical associations with this site the character of the graves suggests a date in the Early Christian or medieval period The excavation has been completely filled in and no evidence of the graves can now be seen on the ground Grid Reference NM 588 429 Gometra Bail a Chlaidh burial ground Situated close to a small settlement and landing place on the west shore of the south anchorage between Gometra and Ulva this former burial ground is unenclosed except for a curving bank of turf defining its east boundary The earliest identifiable tomb stone is dated 1792 There is also a small iron railed enclosure containing headstones commemorating Donald Lamont late merchant of Ulva who died in 1805 and his descendants See also Brown et al Gus Am Bris An La the Burial Grounds of Kilninian Kilmore Treshnish Calgary Ulva Gometra in North Mull 2006 Grid Reference NM 369 404 Kellan burial ground Alternative names for this site are Kilhoubil a settlement named on Pont s 16th century map and Killyphupill the same settlement on an estate map of 1770 The burial ground lies in the settlement s vicinity There are no identifiable remains of the graveyard but in 1878 it was reported that human bones had been discovered a few years ago during timber operations in Kellan Wood No information is available on when the burial ground was in use Grid Reference NM 529 414 Kilbrenan burial ground This site lies NNW of Kilbrennan Farmhouse Loch Tuath on the seaward side of the road All that remains is a curving bank of turf about 0 6 m high forming the eastern half of a boundary and from which an occasional stone projects The enclosure seems to have been circular and about 24 m in diameter There are no visible grave markers or internal features but a low mound on an east west axis may represent the side wall of a chapel The dedication is believed to have been to St Brendan and the site is also known as St Brendan s Chapel Grid Reference NM 439 429 Killbeg burial ground This burial ground lies about 30 m south east of the shepherd s cottage at Killbeg Glen Forsa Traces of a stony bank about 1 5 m wide and 0 4 m high form an roughly oval enclosure about 23 m wide The north and west parts of the site are overlain by a 19th century sheepfold and in the south west by a small modern rectangular building There are no visible grave markers In 1872 when the site was inspected by the officers of the Ordnance Survey the burial round was already in its present condition There are no records of its history The name Kelbeg was recorded

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/burial-grounds/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Church History in Brief
    Progress was slow for the Presbyterian Church as in some areas Roman Catholicism and Episcopalianism were deeply entrenched There was also a shortage of Gaelic speaking ministers and many ancient parishes were either amalgamated or suppressed so that the geographical area administered by a parish minister was frequently vast However by the 18th century new churches began to be built to replace buildings that were often in ruins The need for extra parishes was also recognised and it was intended that money from the Forfeited Estates of the Jacobites Annexing Act 1752 would be used but this never came about It was not until 21 June 1824 that an amended Act of Parliament 5 Geo IV c90 was passed under which the Government would fund 30 churches with manses annexed and support 40 stipends of 120 pounds total cost 50 000 pounds The Commissioners were then dependent on sites being made available by heritors landowners and finally in the 1828 Fourth Report 43 sites were accepted for which 42 stipends were required The churches subsequently built under this initiative are known as parliamentary churches Meanwhile Thomas Telford one of the greatest civil engineers was asked to supervise the building of the churches and a plan designed by one of the surveyors William Thomson was accepted The Thomson Telford Church was easily adapted to suit the size of congregations The interior was of the tradition of that time and similar to those of churches built in the previous hundred years They were designed to be solid and to resist the stormy climate Any repairs would be paid for from seat rents if any and by the heritor The following Telford churches were built Iona this remains unaltered and in use by the Church of Scotland Ulva where the greater part of the church is converted into a community hall Kinlochspelvie this has been converted into a holday home Salen this fell into disrepair after 60 years and was rebuilt in 1899 Tobermory was demolished and rebuilt in 1897 During the early part of the 19th century there was a great deal of unrest within the churches because they were ruled by Parliament in the shape of the reigning Monarch as Head of the Church of Scotland and also by patronage in the shape of lairds This meant that congregations had no choice as to who their minister was to be On 18th May 1843 at a meeting held by the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland in Edinburgh Dr Welsh the retiring Moderator read a protest laid it in front of the Royal Representative and left along with Dr Thomas Chalmers and 400 other ministers They marched to Tanfield Hall and a new assembly was constituted with prayer by Dr Welsh Dr Chalmers was voted the new church s first Moderator On the 23 May the Act of Separation and Deed of Demission was signed and the Free Church of Scotland was born Four hundred and eighty ministers signed this

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/church-history-in-brief/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Baptist Church – Tobermory
    visible together with faint traces of scour marks caused by the wheel itself It was sold renovated and converted into a Masonic Lodge in 1964 Grid Reference NM 504 551 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic Church Tobermory Catholic House of Prayer Iona Cill an Ailean Glen Aros Inch Kenneth Iona Parish Church Kilcolmkill Kilmore Kilfinichen Killean Kilmore Parish Church Kilninian Kilvickeon

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/baptist-church-tobermory/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Bunessan Parish Church
    parish church of Kilvickeon When John Stevenson of Oban was estimating the cost of the building he offered the Presbytery a discount if some of the stones were used from the crumbling Kilvickeon church This offer was accepted by the presbyters and heritors landowners with eagerness It is a plain oblong building of harled rubble masonry and has a gable ended roof and Gothic windows The exterior has been altered by the addition of a porch and on the north side with buttresses Overhanging eaves have also been introduced The area accommodating the vestry and meeting room on the south side may also be an addition but of an earlier date than the other alterations In 2012 the vestry and meeting room were amalgamated to form a larger meeting room with kitchen area which facilitates weekly coffee mornings Fridays 10 30 am to 12 30 pm all welcome and other community events The interior of the church has also been altered Originally there were two Laird s Galleries but the gallery at the west end has been removed and the church now conforms to a typical hall church The panelled gallery at the east end and the pews are probably original The church is always open Services are alternate Sundays with St Ernan s Church Creich Fionnphort at 2 30 pm The Vestry Meeing room extension The west end with pulpit The gallery at the west end Gothic window in north wall High window in west gable wall All images on this page are courtesy of Dr Sue Reed Meeting room with kitchen area Meeting room seating area For further information see Currie J Mull the Island and its People 2000 Grid Reference NM 383 218 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/bunessan/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Catholic Church – Tobermory
    is accessed via a gate in the latter There have always been a small number of Catholics in Tobermory e g there were 12 in 1843 see Statistical Account However until recently there had been no permanent place of worship since the Reformation Mass was said in various halls and people s homes The present chapel was dedicated in 1973 after a chapel fund was launched in 1960 and a piece of ground and a small chalet were gifted by Mrs Betsy MacAllisterin in 1970 Bishop Colin MacPherson conducted the Blessing and Dedication of the church on 1st July 1973 In 1997 Cnoc a Chalmain the Hill of the Dove the Roman Catholic House of Prayer on Iona was opened Grid Reference NM 504 554 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic Church Tobermory Catholic House of Prayer Iona Cill an Ailean Glen Aros Inch Kenneth Iona Parish Church Kilcolmkill Kilmore Kilfinichen Killean Kilmore Parish Church Kilninian Kilvickeon Kinlochspelve Lochdon Macquarie s Mausoleum Michael Chapel Iona Mull Baptist Church Nun s Cave Carsaig Nunnery Church Iona Pennygown Rock Carvings Scoor Salen St Columba Episcopal Church Gruline St Ernan s Church Creich St Kilda

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/catholic-church-tobermory/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Catholic House of Prayer – Iona
    Lady of the Sea in Tobermory which was opened in 1973 The priest travelled from Oban to Tobermory and Bunessan but the Bunessan Mass was discontinued in 1986 so that Catholics from Iona and the Ross of Mull were obliged to make a round trip of over 100 miles to go to Mass Following the foundation of the Colmcille Trust by Mary Burn Murdoch in 1991 and a long search for a suitable property the Trustees purchased the house Kilona in 1996 which had lovely views over the sound of Iona towards Mull They then rebuilt it from its foundations The House of Prayer was designed by the architect Charles Hughes and built by Norman MacDonald of Tobermory A Eucharistic service is held each Sunday at 9 30 am During the summer this is held in the Michael Chapel within the Abbey precincts and during the winter in the chapel at Cnoc a Chalmain Monday to Saturday there is a service at 5 pm Grid Reference NM 284 242 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic Church Tobermory Catholic House of Prayer Iona Cill an Ailean Glen Aros Inch Kenneth Iona Parish Church

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/catholic-house-of-prayer-iona/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Cill an Ailean – Glen Aros
    a 19th century dry stone wall Despite the fact that the boundary wall is much more recent the remains within date back to the medieval period The Gaelic prefix Cill is old and could date it back to before 800 CE but as yet there is no written or archaeological evidence to substantiate this The chapel is oblong and is aligned east to west It measures 1 1 m by 5 2 m within walls 1 0 m thick standing to a maximum height of 0 9 m The entrance was towards the west end of the south wall Two 13th century carved sandstone fragments were found in the burial ground and appear to have belonged either to the door or a window of the chapel One of the oldest of the surviving tombstones is a 2 m long stone slab lying flat inside the chapel and dating to the 14th or 15th century Designs carved into the stone include a cross and a sword There are many upstanding headstones with different designs and inscriptions mostly dating from the 18th and 19th centuries The last burial recorded on a tombstone is Catherine MacLean in 1925 Grid Reference NM 545 455

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/cill-an-ailean/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

web-archive-uk.com, 2016-10-27