Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:

Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » M » MULL-HISTORICAL-SOCIETY.CO.UK

Total: 167

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Inch Kenneth
    full length effigy of an armed man in high relief His head rests on a cushion and his feet against a lion or hound In his right hand he holds a round object perhaps a cannonball and on his left arm is a targe bearing a raised shield on which a coat of arms was once carved or painted Suspended from his waist belt is a sword resembling a 16th century claymore while at his right hip is a dirk In the graveyard is a ring headed slate cross of Latin Cross design possibly dating to 1500 1560 The shaft is bordered on each side by a chevron pattern Towards the base of the shaft are a pair of shears and a single sided comb Chief Hector MacLean A headstone commemorates Dame Mary MacPherson Lady MacLean who died aged 30 On the front is carved a heraldic achievement with a shield charged for MacPherson a galley with sail furled and a sinister hand holding a dagger The supporters are two men wearing plumed helmets and carrying targes On the back of the slab is carved the armorial achievement of the MacLeans of Duart the shield bearing quarterly a lion rampant a castle embattled a galley and a salmon and a dexter hand cupped holding a cross The supporters are two ostriches and a skull and cross bones are incised at the base ARISE YE DEAD Another large headstone commemorates Donald MacLean 3rd of Brolas who died in 1725 The front bears an achievement similar to that on the tombstone of Lady MacLean with the motto ATERA MERCES another reward On the reverse are carved in relief a skull an hour glass and a trump from which proceed the words ARISE YE DEAD At the far end of Loch na Keal

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/inch-kenneth/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Iona Parish Church
    widespread destruction to Scotland Iona lost its abbey the nunnery and St Ronan s Church which had served as the island s parish church since the 1200s For the first time since St Columba s arrival almost a thousand years earlier the island s community had no formal place for worship This situation was alleviated by the erection of the current church in 1828 However the builders did not stick to Telford s original design The leg of the T was omitted and as a result the building is oblong The pews were originally aligned lengthways to focus the congregation s attention on the long communion table and the pulpit The latter was built into the east wall between its two windows However the reorganisation in 1938 placed the pews across the church and the pulpit and a smaller communion table at the south end Services are held in the church every Sunday at 12 noon in the summer and 11 am in the winter Short services are held on Tuesdays at 1pm and each weekday during high summer Grid Reference NM 285 242 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic Church Tobermory

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/iona/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Kilcolmkill (Kilmore)
    records stating that in 1449 tithes from Kilcolmkill were paid to the Abbot of Iona In 1628 Kilcolmkill and Kilninian parishes were joined together and this church continued in use until 1754 when a new church Kilmore Parish Church was built nearby From c 1649 until 1756 three ministers have been recorded The second incumbent was the Rev John Beaton c 1640 c 1708 15 the second son of the famous physician family from Pennycross near Pennyghael It was during his service here that in 1690 after 30 years of Episcopacy Presbyterianism was finally established in Scotland Beaton did not conform In 1688 he had written a poem on the Revolution of 1688 and the silencing of the Episocopalia in Mull and in 1700 was removed on grounds of his immoral conduct It was during the time of the next incumbent John Maclean that in 1749 there was an agreement between the heritors landowners for the necessity to build new churches in Kilninian and Kilmore However nothing was achieved until late 1755 when building began on both churches By this time John Maclean s son Alexander was the Minister In the burial ground are several interesting grave stones and slabs from the 16th and 17th centuries and although most of them are illegible a few inscriptions crests and shields can be discerned In the centre of one slab which is believed to be 14th 15th century of the Iona school is a sword lacking the hilt and on each side of the blade are double plant scrolls At the foot is a pair of shears By the entrance gate are several graves of unknown sailors victims of wars at sea whose bodies were washed up in the surrounding beaches and coves For further information see Peel H M A History

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/kilcolmkill-kilmore/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Kilfinichen
    the dedication was to St Fincana the Virgin one of the nine daughters of St Dove This church was a victim of the Reformation and probably became derelict a century later when the position of minister became difficult to fill By the 18th century its walls were reduced to their lowest courses and were partially covered by private burial enclosures of that period The remains indicate that the building measured 16 0 m by 4 6 m and that the walls were 0 8 m thick In the Mull Museum Tobermory there is a late medieval cross shaft of the Iona school 14th 15th century which was formerly in the churchyard It measures 0 58 m in height above the butt and 0 22 m in maximum width On one side there is a horizontal row of fleurs de lis above which are two animals on each side of the stem The other side has only simple foliage On the butt is a small figure of a man on horseback In the churchyard are several post reformation grave stones commemorating various local families Grid Reference NM 496 284 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/kilfinichen/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Killean
    in favour of those who visited it and made donations In 1561 the parsonage of Keillean in Toirrasa in Mulle was listed among the former revenues of the abbot of Iona During the 17th century the name of Killean was still applied to the parish in spite of frequent vacancies and it is thought that the chapel became derelict during this period In the late 18th century the parish was served by a church at Craignure and by meeting houses at Kinlochspelve and Salen both of which were subsequently replaced by parliamentary churches Today most of the walls are turf covered rubble about 1 0 m high although a short length of wall face is visible towards the west end of the south wall A carved medieval grave slab lies within the church and is of the Iona School 14th 15th century The upper part of this slab has been re used as a headstone There is another unusual fragment of a medieval carved window head in the grave yard It is of sandstone and a small daylight opening can be seen together with its glazing groove The details on the window resemble those found on the canopy work of certain early 16th century west highland tombstones and therefore it may belong to the same period Other post reformation tomb stones can also be seen Legend has it that there was always a bone lying on the wall of the graveyard Whenever anyone was buried there this bone was placed under the last sod However somehow or other this bone always reappeared on the wall in time for the next burial Click on images to enlarge For further information see Currie J Mull The Island and its People 2000 Brown O Whittaker J Walking in South Mull revised 2010 For

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/killean/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Kilmore Parish Church
    the heritors landowners saying In stormy weather rain comes in freely Slates cannot be fixed because the sarking is rotten and will not hold nails It was time for a new church to be built Peter Macgregor Chalmers an architect was appointed to examine the church and he found it unfit for public worship Plans were submitted for a new church at a cost 1200 funding coming partly from the congregation and friends and from the heritors At a meeting of ten heritors in the Bellachroy Inn early in 1904 Rev Munro stressed that a quaint simple ornate church with a tower built on a beautiful and prominent site such as the present fabric is built upon would add immensely to the attractiveness of the district Donald Fletcher from Tobermory was engaged as the contractor and by September 1904 the new church was well underway Services were held in the public school next door while the church was being built Finally the first Divine Service was held on 23 April 1905 and the Dedication on Sunday 18 June On 24 June 1905 a brief description of the church was recorded by the Oban Times The church is in the early Norman style built from Mull whinstone obtained from the Mornish quarry It has a nave with four windows on one side five on the other and one each side of the slightly tapering tower which is 63 feet 19 20 m high and has a vestry underneath it At the other end is an apse lighted by two small lancet windows Inside the simplicity of the nave contrasts well with the richly coloured apse The roof is of pine and the communion table and pulpit harmonise perfectly with the interior The two lancet windows are filled with memorial glass and there are three memorial windows in the nave The effect is highly devotional and the church is probably the most beautiful of its size in the Highlands The rounded tower a simple pencil shape is now an unusual sight although a few still remain in Ireland A bell weighing about 600 lbs 272 15 kg and nearly 14 inches 35 56 cm in diameter hangs in the tower It is probably late 19th century and was cast by a bell foundry in Glasgow The seven distinctive stained glass windows were designed and executed by Stephen Adam a noted Victorian stained glass artist Stephen had close links with Mull His second wife came from the island they were married in Kilmore church in November 1887 this would have been in the former church The windows were installed between 1905 and 1910 and each one is dedicated to the memory of a local person It is not known who designed or painted the richly coloured aspe but it was possibly the architect Peter Chalmers and was influenced by the Arts and Crafts Movement It is said to have caused the long standing precentor to call it ungodly and he consequently resigned Sometime

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/kilmore/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Kilninian
    the famous Mull family from Pennycross He was minister from 1679 1701 The church measuring 15 2 m by 6 4 m is built of harled masonry has an 18th century bell cot on the east gable and is of unpretentious construction The interior has been almost completely refurbished so that the original fabric is not apparent However the seating is believed to have been made of pine from a shipwreck and the west gallery is approached by an external stair which is probably 19th century A long communion table is also of the same period and can be seen at the Museum of Country Life at Kitlochside East Kilbride The communion cup is on display in Mull Museum Tobermory There are eight interesting medieval slabs mostly of the Iona school 14th 15th century Unfortunately the names of the people they commemorate are unknown One is a full length effigy of a warrior in armour with pointed basinet an aventail and a knee length aketon and carries a claymore He has a tasselled cushion under his head and a hound at his feet There are a mirror and a pair of shears on another slab These grave slabs have been moved to the vestry at the back of the church for protection There is also a late medieval dial or mass clock carved on the smoothest face of an irregular lava boulder some 0 65 m in length It is similar to one carved on a cross base at Iona being divided into twenty four segments by lines radiating from a small central socket Some of the lines are repeated possibly as a result of re cutting There are two outer circles with five small crosses carved outside the perimeter of the dial A late 16th 17th century tapered slab

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/kilninian/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mull Historical & Archaeological Society | Kinlochspelve
    Dr Sue Reed Kinlochspelve church south elevation showing four gothic windows North elevation of church and war memorial North elevation showing characteristic Telford T shape Viewed from the north east Viewed from the east It is a parliamentary church built in 1828 to a standard Parliamentary design produced by Thomas Telford A shallow T shape in plan it is built of dressed masonry with a slate roof and is surrounded by a rubble walled enclosure An entryway transept is attached to the main nave which is oriented east west There are four shallow gothic headed long windows running along the south elevation of the nave and a large gothic six paned clear glass window at the western gable end A bell housing with a pyramidal cap tops the western gable roof It is now privately owned and has been converted for use as a holiday let Grid Reference NM 652 257 Burial Grounds Church History in Brief Churches Baptist Church Tobermory Bunessan Parish Church Catholic Church Tobermory Catholic House of Prayer Iona Cill an Ailean Glen Aros Inch Kenneth Iona Parish Church Kilcolmkill Kilmore Kilfinichen Killean Kilmore Parish Church Kilninian Kilvickeon Kinlochspelve Lochdon Macquarie s Mausoleum Michael Chapel Iona Mull

    Original URL path: http://www.mull-historical-society.co.uk/churches/churches-2/kinlochspelve/ (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

web-archive-uk.com, 2016-10-28