web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » S » SIMPLONPC.CO.UK

Total: 660

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Stockholm Trams & Metros - www.simplonpc.co.uk
    Photo Ian Boyle 31st May 2013 Tram 313 Lidingöbanan tram 313 at Ropsten Metro Station Photo Ian Boyle 31st May 2013 Tram 316 Lidingöbanan tram 316 at Skärsätra Photo Ian Boyle 31st May 2013 Tram 318 Lidingöbanan tram 318 at Ropsten Metro Station Photo Ian Boyle 31st May 2013 Skärsätra Station Skärsätra Station Photo Ian Boyle 31st May 2013 Line12 Nockebybanan Nockeby Alvik Line22 Tvärbanan Sickla udde Alvik The Nockebybanan and Tvärbanan are light rail lines are using Flexity Swift units A32 in Stockholm s classification system Nockebybanan terminates inside the Alvik tunnelbana station where the tram tracks are in the middle of the station flanked by the platforms with the tunnelbana tracks on the outside allowing cross platform exchange between tram and underground Nockebybanan is a tram line between Nockeby and Alvik in the western suburbs of Stockholm Sweden The 5 6 km 3 5 miles long line connects with the tunnelbana metro and Tvärbanan light rail at Alvik The Nockebybanan is operated by Arriva The first part of the Nockebybanan to Alléparken was opened in 1914 The line was then gradually extended and at its greatest extent it ran from Nockeby to Tegelbacken in central Stockholm Since the opening of the western tunnelbana green lines in 1952 the line has terminated at Alvik The line was out of service between June 1997 to June 1998 while it underwent significant renovation and modification to accommodate the new Flexity Swift A32 trams The Tvärbanan is a light rail line in the suburbs of Stockholm Sweden Its name means Crossways line in English It links together many bus and rail lines crossways through its connections with the southern and western subway branches of the Stockholm Metro Tunnelbanan and the Stockholm commuter rail Pendeltåg Near Liljeholmen the track is shared with freight traffic in a short section which is the only place in Sweden where freight and trams share the same track The tramway mainly runs on segregated rights of way but there is a section in Gröndal where the tracks run along roads amongst regular road traffic In Hammarby sjöstad the trams run in a reservation in the centre of the road rather than in mixed traffic but there are level crossings between the tram line and several streets Traffic on the Tvärbanan started in 2000 first between Gullmarsplan and Liljeholmen then later between Liljeholmen and Alvik and in 2002 between Gullmarsplan and Sickla udde The depot and traffic control centre are shared between the Tvärbanan and Nockebybanan Tram 409 Flexity Swift A32 tram 409 at Alvik about to depart for Nockeby Photo 2008 Kalle Id Museum Line Djurgårdslinjen The Djurgårdslinjen along with almost every other tram line in Stockholm was withdrawn in conjunction to the switch to right hand drive traffic in 1967 but was restored as a heritage tram line in June 1991 and operated on a non profit basis by members of the Swedish Tramway Society Svenska Spårvägssällskapet through its operating company AB Stockholms Spårvägar The trams run

    Original URL path: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/T_Stockholm.html (2016-02-15)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Royal Princess - Artemis: Page 2 - Photographs
    on other Artemis Pages Royal Princess Company Postcards Princess Cruises 1984 2005 Royal Princess Commercial Postcards Princess Cruises 1984 2005 Artemis Postcards P O Cruises 2005 P O and Princess Cruises Pages P O Header Page Links to all main P O pages P O Princess Cruises Page 1 1962 1988 P O Princess Cruises Page 2 1989 1999 P O Princess Cruises Page 3 2000 2005 P O Princess Photographs Simplon P O Princess Cruises Page 1 Simplon Postcards P O Releases Simplon P O Princess Cruises Page 2 Simplon Postcards P O Releases P O Liner Pages P O Header Page Links to all main P O pages P O Liners Page 1 1837 1899 P O Liners Page 2 1900 1914 P O Liners Page 3 1915 1939 P O Liners Page 4 1940 1961 Associated Pages Cruise Ship Postcards Ocean Liner Postcards Simplon Postcards Home Page Simplon Postcards Recent Updates Simplon Postcards facebook page Search This Website powered by FreeFind Royal Princess Photographs Princess Cruises 1984 2005 Royal Princess at Rotterdam 26th May 2005 Photograph of Royal Princess at Rotterdam 24th May 2005 Two days later on 26th May 2005 Royal Princess left for Bremerhaven for conversion into the Artemis Photo Cees de Bijl Artemis Photographs P O Cruises 2005 2011 Artemis at Copenhagen Artemis at Copenhagen Photo Peter Therkildsen 2005 Artemis at Reykjavik Iceland 3rd August 2005 Each image opens a larger copy in a new window Artemis leaving Reykjavik seen from QE2 Photo Ian Boyle 3rd August 2005 Artemis at Southampton Each image opens a larger copy in a new window Artemis at Southampton QEII Cruise Terminal Photo Ian Boyle 24th July 2007 Artemis at Dubrovnik Croatia Each image opens a larger copy in a new window Artemis at Dubrovnik Photo Ivo Batricevic September

    Original URL path: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/PO-Artemis-2.html (2016-02-15)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Hollycombe Steam Centre - www.simplonpc.co.uk
    Jerry M along with a quantity of track and several wagons Construction started in 1968 and reached the sandstone quarry by 1971 The line which is 2 ft 610 mm gauge was later extended to include a loop which brought the track length to its present 1½ miles The second steam locomotive Caledonia was purchased in 1968 but is currently 2013 out of service Four of the five passenger coaches were bought from the Ramsgate Cliff Railway when it closed the fifth coach was built at Hollycombe to the same design The line consists of a circle of track with a branch to the main station Trains run from the station around the circle then reverse very slowly I could walk as fast back down to the station with braking controlled by the guard at the end of the train with hand and air brake controls No 38 JERRY M Jerry M is a Hunslet 0 4 0ST built 1895 builder s no 638 which is ex Dinorwic Quarry Originally named Vaenol later renamed Jerry M after a successful racehorse belonging to the quarry owners in service 38 Jerry M at the Hollycombe Steam Centre terminus station and shed Photo Ian Boyle 20th July 2013 38 Jerry M with a train on the Hollycombe Steam Centre quarry line about to join the circle Photo Ian Boyle 20th July 2013 38 Jerry M with a train on the Hollycombe Steam Centre quarry line Arriving at Birch Place Halt situated on the circle just before the junction to the main station Photo Ian Boyle 20th July 2013 38 Jerry M with a train reversing back along the station branch Photo Ian Boyle 20th July 2013 Lizzie Lizzie is a Ruhrthaler 4wDH Lizzie at the Hollycombe Steam Centre terminus and shed Photo Ian Boyle 20th July 2013 Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock The coaches used on the Hollycombe Quarry Railway came from the Ramsgate Tunnel Railway and was built in the 1930s An additional coach to matching design has been built at Hollycombe The Ramsgate Tunnel Railway also known as the Ramsgate Cliff Railway the Tunnel Railway the Ramsgate Underground Railway and the World Scenic Railway was an underground railway in Ramsgate Kent England Following the restructuring of railway lines in Ramsgate in 1926 the section of line between Broadstairs and Ramsgate Harbour including the tunnel was abandoned This narrow gauge railway was opened in 1936 to connect tourist attractions and shops near Ramsgate harbour with the new railway main line at Dumpton Park Except for its two stations one at each end of the tunnel the line ran entirely underground The line was built in less than three months and on its completion in 1936 was one of the shortest independent railway lines in the country It was open for only three years before being converted to a major air raid shelter during World War II After the war s end it was not included in the 1948 nationalisation of British railways but

    Original URL path: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Hollycombe.html (2016-02-15)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Saltburn by Sea - www.simplonpc.co.uk
    and windshields a bandstand a refreshment rooms added and the entrance kiosks replaced to match the style of those used on the new Cliff Lift In July 1887 the gas lighting was replaced by electricity After suffering slight storm damage in 1900 the pier was struck by the china clay vessel SS Ovenbeg formerly the Russian registered SS St Nicholi in May 1924 The collision left a 210 feet 64 m gap in the promenade leaving the bandstand inaccessible The gap was replaced from March 1929 with a new theatre also built on the landside completed in 1930 enabling the full length of the pier to open Purchased by the council in 1938 the pier like others was sectioned during World War II by having part of the deck removed by the Royal Engineers to guard against Nazi invasion But due to its poor post war condition repairs were not granted planning permission until 1949 and due to a shortage of steel not completed until April 1952 Officially reopened for the first time since the war on May 31 1952 over 25 000 visitors walked the pier during the first month In 1953 gales resulted in 23 000 worth of repairs which took a further five years to complete But after completion in 1958 tow piles were lost costing a further 6 000 In 1961 another twenty piles were twisted in storms but repairs kept the structure open enabling 90 000 people to visit during the 1960s After severe storms in 1971 and 1973 piles were lost at the seaward end leaving the pier in a dangerous state Further damage in 1974 culminated on October 29 when the pier head was lost and the deck damaged leaving a length of 1 100 feet 340 m In 1975 the council submitted an application to the Department of the Environment to have the pier demolished A Save the Pier campaign led to a public enquiry which concluded that only the final thirteen piers could be removed This left a 681 feet 208 m length of refurbished pier which reopened on June 29 1978 In 1979 the council undertook a complete refurbishment of both the pier and the Cliff Lift to reflect the Victorian Edwardian character by ordering new aluminium cars for the Cliff Lift reinstating to the design stained glass windows new distinct white red cladding to all the structures a pier head cafe In 2000 the council was successful in gaining a 1 2M National Lottery Heritage Grant enabling the cast iron trestles that support the pier to be conserved and the steel deck beams replaced with traditional hardwood timber to reflect the pier s original appearance Reopened as a Grade II listed building on July 13 2001 by MP Chris Smith the restored structure won a top placing in the Queen s Golden Jubilee Heritage awards In October 2005 the pier was greatly enhanced by the installation of under deck lighting which illuminates at night 1 and in 2009 the

    Original URL path: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Saltburn.html (2016-02-15)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Barcelona - Tibidabo - Tramvia Blau - www.simplonpc.co.uk
    the installation completely Eventually Friedrich Gründel Bleichert s chief engineer during the construction succeeded in establishing Teleféricos de Barcelona S A In 1960 Torre Sebastià reopened with a new restaurant at its top followed two years later by Torre Jaume I 1963 the aerial tramway reopened with only two cabins which travelled along the total length and through the top of Torre Jaume I After Mr Gründel s death the ownership changed several times commercial results diminished and the technical status deteriorated The authorities had already decided to close the installation when in 1996 Barcelona decided to redevelop Port Vell and to build the World Trade Centre In this context the aerial tramway was also renovated and it reopened in 2000 Ref Wikipedia The Telefèric del Port at Barcelona Photo Ian Boyle 30th October 2011 Montjuic Funicular The Funicular de Montjuïc or Montjuïc funicular is a funicular railway in the city of Barcelona in Catalonia Spain The line is largely in tunnel and connects the Barcelona Metro Parallel station with the hill of Montjuïc and the various sporting and other facilities there The funicular uses the same fares as the metro and is listed on maps as part of the metro network It is operated by Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona TMB which also operates most of the metro lines The line was opened in 1928 in order to serve the International Exhibition of 1929 It was extensively reconstructed in 1992 in order to cope with traffic to and from the Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys and other facilities used for the 1992 Summer Olympics situated on the Montjuïc hill The funicular is one of three in Barcelona the others being the Funicular de Vallvidrera and the Funicular del Tibidabo although neither of these is operated by the TMB Ref Wikipedia Length 758 metres Height 76 metres Maximum Steepness 18 Cars 2x 3 car train sets Capacity 400 passengers per train set Configuration Single track with passing loop Journey time 2 minutes Maximum speed 10 metres per second Track gauge 1 2 metre Traction Electricity Montjuic Funicular Photo Ian Boyle 30th October 2011 Montserrat Funiculars Cableways Santa Maria de Montserrat is a Benedictine abbey located on the mountain of Montserrat in Monistrol de Montserrat in Catalonia Spain Montserrat whose name means serrated mountain is 48 kilometres approx 30 miles west of Barcelona and can be reached by road train or cable car Two further steep funiculars run from the monastery one to further up the mountain and one down It hosts the Virgin of Montserrat and the Publicacions de l Abadia de Montserrat a publishing house one of the oldest presses in the world still running with its first book published in 1499 1 Cremallera de Montserrat Main public transport access to the monastery is the Cremallera de Montserrat Montserrat Rack Railway which is a mountain railway line which runs from Monistrol de Montserrat Station on the Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya FGC line from Barcelona Plaça d Espanya station to

    Original URL path: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Barca_Funics.html (2016-02-15)
    Open archived version from archive

  • San Sebastian -  Donostia - Trams Funicular & Cableway - www.simplonpc.co.uk
    Cableway Trams Associated Pages Tramways Header Page Cruise Ships Ocean Liners UK Excursion Vessels World Ferry Fleets Simplon Postcards Home Page Simplon Postcards Recent Updates Simplon Ship Postcards facebook page Simplon Minor Railways facebook page Simplon Piers Lighthouses facebook page Simplon Tramways facebook page Simplon Funiculars facebook page Simplon Tram Pages Tramways Header Page Birmingham Budapest Cagliari Trams Dublin LUAS Ferrovie della Sardegna Sardinian Narrow Gauge Helsinki Trams Ferries London Tramlink Nottingham Express Transit Riga Trams Trolleybuses Rostock Trams Sassari Trams Sheffield Supertrams Tallinn Trams Trolleybuses Trondheim Trams West Midland Metro References Funicular website www ingeba org gipuzkoa transpor funicul funicul htm Search the Simplon Website San Sebastian Donostia Trams Cableways All images link to larger copies which will open in a new window tab Trams The Tibidabo Funicular was opened on October 29 1901 with a length of 1152 metres The funicular railway built in 1901 was the first of its kind in Spain The system is single track with a single passing place at Apeadero Observatorio where there was originally a third station The funicular has featured in a huge number of postcards issued since its opening a selection of which are shown below along with more recent digital images Postcards of San Sebastian Donostia tramways including the route to Monte Ulia Transbordador Funicular del Monte Ulia Tranvia Aereo An early aerial cable railway in Spain The world s first aerial tram was probably the one built in 1644 by Adam Wiebe It was used to move soil to build defences Other mining systems were developed in the 1860s by Hodgson and Andrew Smith Hallidie Hallidie went on to perfect a line of mining and people tramways after 1867 in California and Nevada Leonardo Torres Quevedo built his first aerial cableway in 1887 His first for passengers was

    Original URL path: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/SanSebastian.html (2016-02-15)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Epping Ongar Railway - www.simplonpc.co.uk
    suburban coaches such as those under restoration at EOR The class was built between 1903 and 1949 and totalled 209 examples 4141 was built in Swindon in 1946 and was allocated to Gloucester Horton Rd for all of its working life working on banking duties before latterly working expresses to London Thanks to the proximity of Barry scrap yard to the former GWR system 10 examples were saved for preservation 4141 was withdrawn in February 1963 and reached Barry in November 1964 being saved for preservation in early 1973 4141 and its classmates have proved to be ideally sized for use on heritage railways handling the shorter journey times and typical loads being economic and reliable performers 03119 is a unique engine as it was one of the specially modified Class 03 shunters which was modified to have a cut down reduced height cab to enable it to work the Burry Port Gwendraeth Valley branch which had lower bridges and fitted with air operated controls so they could be worked in pairs to cope with the heavy loads Built at BR Swindon Works and introduced in September 1959 as D2119 it was allocated initially to Danygraig depot Renumbered to 03119 in March 1974 it was withdrawn from traffic while allocated to Landore Depot in February 1986 After arriving at Knills scrap yard Barry in November 1986 03119 was quickly saved and moved to the Dean Forest Railway by December 1986 to enter railway preservation 03119 made the move to the West Somerset Railway in March 1996 where it has been kept in good working order by the Diesel and Electric Preservation Group at Williton before coming to EOR in Dec 2011 The locomotive carries the BR livery and 03 shunters were once a common sight all over the country including at many East Anglian stations on shunting duties Ref Epping Ongar Railway Website eorailway co uk GWR Prairie 4141 at North Weald on an Ongar train Photo Ian Boyle 5th May 2013 GWR Prairie 4141 arriving at North Weald from Ongar Photo Ian Boyle 5th May 2013 GWR Prairie 4141 running round its train at North Weald Photo Ian Boyle 5th May 2013 GWR Prairie 4141 running round its train at Ongar Photo Ian Boyle 5th May 2013 Isabel 0 6 0ST Hawthorne Leslie built saddle tank 0 6 0 locomotive Isabel was the new Epping Ongar owner s first steam locomotive purchase Built in 1919 to an order number 3437 from ICI foodstuffs she was delivered new to their Blackley Manchester dye plant that year Isabel was to spend the whole of her working life at the plant and withdrawal from service finally came in 1969 During her time with ICI she had a fairly uneventful career the only known incident occurred during the General Strike of 1926 Whilst being driven by a team of enthusiastic amateurs she ran away demolished the locomotive shed doors and wrote off her sister engine which was standing in the shed It is rumoured that this is where she gained the flat spot on her wheels which she still carries After withdrawal Isabel went straight in to preservation at the fledgling Somerset and Dorset Trust Site at the former Radstock Station site However restoration to working order was to wait a few more years When the Radstock site closed and the Trust relocated to Washford on the West Somerset Railway in 1975 Isabel followed and she was to wait until 1998 for restoration to working order to be commenced Not wanting to rush the process it wasn t until October 2005 for Isabel to be revealed to the world in all her restored glory Used for shunting the S D Trust yard she certainly turned a few heads Shortly after this in 2007 the locomotive changed hands and travelled north to the Cambrian Railways site at Llynncs Junction Little used she was soon made available for sale again and in early 2010 Isabel became the new Epping Ongar owner s first steam locomotive Isabel has now reached the end of her 10 year boiler ticket and will be given an overhaul prior to returning into traffic Ref www llangollen railway org uk sloco6430 html Hawthorne Leslie 1919 built saddle tank 0 6 0 locomotive Isabel Photo Ian Boyle 25th May 2012 Visiting Steam Locomotives GWR 6430 0 6 0PT Visiting loco 2012 The services of visiting loco 6430 were secured because 4141 was unavailable for the opening weekend 6430 is a push pull fitted 0 6 0 pannier tank of GWR origin built at Swindon in 1937 as part of lot no 305 The class spent their lives working many of the minor branch lines on the former GWR system particularly the South Wales valleys and were fitted for auto train working Withdrawal in 1964 was followed by sale to John Cashmore Ltd as scrap but immediately 6430 was re sold to the Dart Valley Railway as a source of spares It was towed to there by 6412 in 1966 When the remains of the engine were purchased by its current owner in 1990 it represented an incomplete kit of parts It spent some time undergoing restoration at Long Marston MOD depot along with 5199 before moving on to the Llangollen Railway in 1996 Having lost many parts to other engines restoration work was slow Repairs to its cracked cylinder block were tackled by the Severn Valley Railway during 1996 and new pannier tanks were fabricated and fitted at Llangollen After manufacture of new axleboxes re wheeling took place on 24th April 1998 and work progressed slowly towards its return to steam New motion parts coupling and connecting rods were cast and machined to size whilst other parts were found elsewhere and purchased A major problem was the badly corroded state of the boiler This necessitated a completely new boiler barrel being made and fitted to the existing smokebox and firebox Its first move under its own steam came on 20th December 2003 Work to finish off the locomotive continued and it undertook a successful trial run along the full length of the Railway on 23rd February 2004 It was brought by road to the Epping Ongar Railway in the week prior to opening Ref www llangollen railway org uk sloco6430 html Visiting GWR pannier tank 6430 arriving at Ongar Photo Ian Boyle 25th May 2012 Visiting GWR pannier tank 6430 arriving at North Weald Photo Ian Boyle 25th May 2012 Visiting GWR pannier tank 6430 at Ongar Photo Ian Boyle 25th May 2012 Visiting GWR pannier tank 6430 at North Wield with 03 170 Photo Ian Boyle 25th May 2012 GNR N2 1744 0 6 2T Visiting loco 2013 Great Northern Railway N2 Class 0 6 2T No 1744 was built at the North British Locomotive Works Glasgow in 1920 Withdrawn 1962 Arrived at the Great Central Railway in 1975 First returned to traffic in 1978 Withdrawn in 1994 Returned to traffic for second time in 2009 GNR 1744 visited the Epping Ongar Railway for their London Underground 150 Gala 28th June 1st July 2013 Visiting GNR N2 running light engine from North Weald to Ongar for the first train of the day Photo Ian Boyle 1st July 2013 Visiting GNR N2 on the first train of the day from Ongar to North Weald Photo Ian Boyle 1st July 2013 Visiting GNR N2 passing through Blake Hall Station Photo Ian Boyle 1st July 2013 Visiting GNR N2 at North Weald Photo Ian Boyle 1st July 2013 Visiting GNR N2 at Ongar Photo Ian Boyle 1st July 2013 L150 GWR 5521 2 6 2T Visiting loco 2013 Number 5521 was built at Swindon in 1927 and spent most of its working life on branch lines in the West Country After withdrawal having run just over a million miles it spent time at Barry and Bishops Lydeard before Richard and William Parker bought it in 1980 It moved first to the Dean Forest Railway then to the industrial estate in Lydney then to Swindon Works then to the Swindon Cricklade Railway and back again to the DFR before it was finally restored at The Flour Mill in the Forest of Dean from 2004 to 2007 The locomotive is generally as built with the addition of a Westinghouse air pump on the driver s side so that it has along with the loco hand and steam brakes the ability to brake trains fitted with either vacuum or air brake systems In April 2007 5521 went by sea from Hull to Gdynia in Poland via Helsinki and featured in the Wolsztyn Parade It then travelled with Hungarian ex Sudbahn 4 6 0 109 109 to Budapest Hungary where it worked intermittently with MAV Nosztalgia the heritage rail operator In September 2007 it piloted the Venice Simplon Orient Express from Budapest Keleti to Kelenfold stations on its return from Istanbul to Venice before competing in the Zvolen Grand Prix in Slovakia and the Central European Steam Locomotive Grand Prix at the Railway Heritage Park in Budapest It returned to Poland and in May 2008 again appeared in the Wolsztyn Parade before operating suburban services from Wroclaw to Jelcz Laskowice to the timings of the electric multiple units it was replacing for several periods of up to nine days at a time each with 36 scheduled stops and starts In 2009 5521 returned to England the way it had come after appearing at the Wolsztyn Parade for the third time Since then it has visited the National Railway Museum the North Norfolk Railway the Dean Forest Railway the Spa Valley Railway and the Bodmin and Wenford Railway After Railfest 2012 it returned briefly to the Dean Forest Railway for a gala at the end of June 2012 before spending August 2012 at the Swindon Cricklade Railway with brief spells on the Avon Valley Railway and the Battlefield line In May 2013 at the request of London Underground the locomotive was painted in red London Transport livery and numbered L 150 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Metropolitan line and on 25 27 May it operated special trains between Harrow on the Hill and Amersham along with Met 1 9466 and Sarah Siddons and it is planned to operate a similar service in early September After a short visit to Felixstowe Dock L 150 moved to the Epping Ongar Railway for two weekends in June and July commemorating the Metropolitan Railway s anniversary Visiting GWR Prairie 5521 as L150 passing Blake Hall Station Photo Ian Boyle 1st July 2013 Visiting GWR Prairie 5521 as L150 leaving North Weald Photo Ian Boyle 1st July 2013 Visiting GWR Prairie 5521 as L150 Passing through North Weald backwards on a through Ongar Coopersale train hauler by 0 4 4T No 1 Photo Ian Boyle 1st July 2013 Diesel Locomotives 2012 D6729 37 029 Class 37 number D6729 37 029 is resident on Epping Ongar Following its recent withdrawal from mainline freight workings it has been restored and repainted into the original 1950 1960s livery it carried when it was based at nearby Stratford shed 30A The locomotive is popular with many as it has its original bodywork complete with split headcode nose and is one of only a few in the whole country Ref Epping Ongar Railway Website eorailway co uk D6729 at North Weald Photo Ian Boyle 25th May 2012 D6729 at Ongar Photo Ian Boyle 6th August 2012 D6729 at North Weald Photo Ian Boyle 6th August 2012 D6729 at Ongar Photo Ian Boyle 6th August 2012 D5557 31 438 Class 31 number 31438 arrived on the Mid Norfolk Railway on 24 November 2001 being delivered by road from Carlisle The locomotive is one of a number of engines fitted with Electric Train Heating It was delivered new to Ipswich shed as D5557 being transferred to Norwich between 1961 and 1965 The locomotive previously carried a unique livery of Brunswick Green with BR arrow symbols on all four cabsides and the numbers behind the doors D5557 was listed as being for sale in late August 2011 and sold to the Epping Ongar Railway by September leaving the MNR after their Autumn Gala Ref Epping Ongar Railway Website eorailway co uk D5557 at North Weald Photo Ian Boyle 25th May 2012 D7523 25 173 Class 25 1 250 hp Sulzer 6 cylindered engine D7523 is resident on Epping Ongar The BR Class 25 originally numbered 327 examples built of which 20 examples were saved and about 11 are in operation on heritage lines around the country Our engine is a 25 2 which featured restyled bodywork without the earlier gangway doors in the front and slightly different air intakes from the first batch built While the Southern and Eastern Regions of BR were never allocated this class they were often seen in East Anglia on inter region passenger and freight workings and excursion work The construction of D7523 started with the main support frames being laid during early 1964 delivery to the Nottingham area occurring in January 1965 The locomotive remained a Midland Region based machine throughout its career which ended with withdrawal on 19 March 1987 being one of the last locomotives of the class in service The engine was fitted with air brakes making it dual braked during a routine overhaul in 1978 D7523 was officially withdrawn at midday on 19 03 1987 at Crewe on 23 03 87 it was sent along with several other locomotives to Vic Berry s scrap yard in Leicester Normally the processing of scrap loco s and dumping them on the pile only took a few days but for some reason D7523 or 25173 as she was lingered and on 13 09 87 left the yard again and returned to Crewe works for repairs This was unexpected as all of the class had been officially withdrawn in March 1987 Over the following two years the loco alternated between Crewe works and Berry s yard each time it visited Crewe it received further repairs Finally on 01 06 1989 the locomotive that refused to be scrapped left Crewe and headed for the Dean Forest Railway and into preservation D7523 spent 15 years in service at the West Somerset Railway proving to be a useful engine for both light passenger and engineering trains being maintained to a very high standard by the Diesel Electric Preservation Group at Wiliton before coming to Epping Ongar Railway in September 2011 Ref Epping Ongar Railway Website eorailway co uk D7523 at Ongar Photo Ian Boyle 5th May 2013 D2119 03 119 03119 is a unique engine as it was one of the specially modified Class 03 shunters which was modified to have a cut down reduced height cab to enable it to work the Burry Port Gwendraeth Valley branch which had lower bridges and fitted with air operated controls so they could be worked in pairs to cope with the heavy loads Built at BR Swindon Works and introduced in September 1959 as D2119 it was allocated initially to Danygraig depot Renumbered to 03119 in March 1974 it was withdrawn from traffic while allocated to Landore Depot in February 1986 After arriving at Knills scrap yard Barry in November 1986 03119 was quickly saved and moved to the Dean Forest Railway by December 1986 to enter railway preservation 03119 made the move to the West Somerset Railway in March 1996 where it has been kept in good working order by the Diesel and Electric Preservation Group at Williton before coming to EOR in Dec 2011 The locomotive carries the BR livery and 03 shunters were once a common sight all over the country including at many East Anglian stations on shunting duties Ref Epping Ongar Railway Website eorailway co uk 03 119 at North Weald There was no loop at Coopersale so trains either have a loco at each end or use the 3CIG Photo Ian Boyle 25th May 2012 03 119 arriving at North Weald from Coopersale Photo Ian Boyle 6th August 2012 03 119 at North Weald Photo Ian Boyle 6th August 2012 03 119 leaving North Weald for Coopersale towed by Isabel Photo Ian Boyle 6th August 2012 03 119 arriving at North Weald towing Isabel at the far end of the train Photo Ian Boyle 6th August 2012 D2170 03 170 Class 03 shunter 204 BHP Drewery diesel mechanical shunter Delivered new to British Railways as D2170 in late 1960 it was withdrawn in 1989 This is a class of locomotive that has a long history of working in East Anglia members of the class being allocated to Stratford Colchester Ipswich and Norwich Depots up until the late 1980s This locomotive has dual air and vacuum braking systems Its claim to fame is that it was the last 03 converted and overhauled at Swindon works before they closed Ref Epping Ongar Railway Website eorailway co uk 03 170 at North Weald Photo Ian Boyle 25th May 2012 Electric Multiple Units 2012 3CIG 1498 The Epping Ongar 3CIG is one of the Phase 2 units which entered service in 1960s It was previously numbered 1888 1223 then 7423 The unit was originally a 4 coach electric unit and entered BR service in the corporate blue grey livery The unit became famous as one of the last slam door EMUs in mainline service seeing out its final days on the Lymington Branch gaining the nick name of Lymmy Slammer South West Trains considered that due to the self contained nature of the Lymington branch it would be more cost effective to continue Mk 1 operation On this basis SWT bought and refurbished two British Rail 4CIGs Class 421 units to exclusively operate services on the line Work carried out on the units included the fitting of central door locking and other safety features to allow them to remain in service beyond the November 2005 deadline for the withdrawal of slam door stock and the reduction of

    Original URL path: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Epping-Ongar.html (2016-02-15)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Tallink Ferry Postcards
    She entered service with Channel Island Ferries on 28th March 1985 as the Corbiere linking Portsmouth to Jersey and Guernsey In 1991 she was sold to Eckerö Linjen and started a new service between Helsinki and Tallinn for Estonia New Line For 1994 only this service was run by Tallink as shown in the postcard below In 2001 she remained in service in Labrador under her original name Apollo A complete history of this ship is available on this link This is Simplon Postcards sp1213 released October 1995 The photo is by Philippe Holthof at Helsinki Vana Tallinn Tallink 1994 Vana Tallinn was built as the DFDS ferry Dana Regina in 1974 one of the finest ferries in the world at the time of her completion She served on the Harwich Esbjerg route until 1983 when she moved to the Copenhagen Oslo service In 1990 she was sold to Nordström Thulin of Sweden for their Stockholm Tallinn service marketed as Estline She was renamed Nord Estonia In 1992 she was chartered to Larvik Line as Thor Heyerdahl Between 1994 6 she operated as Vana Tallinn under charter to Tallink and the official Tallink postcard is shown below In 1998 she was purchased by Tallink A complete history of this ship is available on this link Official Tallink postcard printed by Niklas Serial Number 718 An official Tallink postcard of Vana Tallinn An official Tallink postcard of Vana Tallinn following purchase in 1998 An official Tallink postcard of Vana Tallinn following purchase in 1998 Meloodia Tallink 1996 Meloodia was built in 1979 as Diana II for Rederi AB Slite part of the Viking Line consortium She was sold in 1992 and chartered to TT Line for their Trelleborg Rostock service marketed as TR Line In 1994 she was sold again and chartered to Estlines as Mare Balticum In 1996 she was chartered to Tallink and renamed Meloodia A complete history of this ship is available on this link Official Tallink card of Meloodia Produced by Niklas Vykort AB 809 Scan supplied by Mikael Blomberg Official Hansatee Tallink card of Meloodia Official Tallink card of Meloodia Produced by Niklas Vykort AB 854 Scan supplied by Mikael Blomberg Morgan postcard of Tallinn showing Meloodia and Vana Tallinn Official Hansatee Tallink card of the pub on Meloodia Fantaasia Tallink 1997 Fantaasia was built in 1979 as Turella for SF Line part of the Viking Line consortium She was sold in 1988 to Stena Line and served as Stena Nordica and Lion King She was bought by Tallink in 1997 and renamed Fantaasia Official Hansatee Tallink card of Fantaasia Official Hansatee Tallink card of Fantaasia Official Hansatee Tallink card of Fantaasia Regina Baltica Tallink 2000 Regina Baltica was built in 1980 as Viking Song for Red AB Sally part of the Viking Line consortium She was sold in 1985 to Fred Olsen and served as Braemar In 1991 she was chartered to the Baltic Shipping Company to start a service between Kiel and St Petersburg This service ceased in 1996 and she was bought by a company jointly owned by Nordström Thulin and Estline for use by Estline as Regina Baltica In 2000 the charter transferred to Tallink A complete history of this ship is available on this link Tallink official postcard of Regina Baltica Baltic Kristina Tallink 2000 2002 Baltic Kristina was ordered by Oy Siljavarustamo Ab Silja Rederiet Silja Line in 1969 In 1971 the contracted was taken over by Höyrylaiva Oy Bore Ångfartygs Ab Bore Bore Line and she was completed as Bore I in 1973 by Oy Wärtsilä Ab She operated on the Silja Line services between Åbo Mariehamn Stockholm and also Helsinki Stockholm In 1980 Bore I was sold to Suomen Höyrylaiva Oy Finska Ångfartygs Ab FAÅ and renamed Skandia remaining on the same Silja Line route In 1983 Skandia was sold to Stena Line and renamed Stena Baltica before a rapid sale to the Baltic Shipping Corporation Leningrad and renaming as Ilich She operated a route from Stockholm to Leningrad later renamed St Petersburg and also Stockholm Riga Ilich was sold in 1996 to a Maltese company becoming the Anastasia V and then again to Windward Venture Shipping in 1997 as the Windward Pride intended for a service between Barbados and Venezuela In October 1997 she became the Baltic Kristina in service with Estline and until 2000 and then Tallink Since 2002 she has been chartered to Riga Sea Line for a Riga Stockholm service There is a complete history of this ship on this link Baltic Kristina in Tallink service Photo Miran Hamidulla 2nd January 2002 Scan Fakta om Fartyg Normandy Tallink charter 1997 Normandy was originally ordered by Sessan Line for their Gothenburg Frederikshavn service Sessan Line was taken over by Stena Line and the ship was chartered to Sealink for use on Harwich Hook of Holland service as the St Nicholas In 1989 she was sold to Rederi AB Gotland but remained in Sealink service In 1990 Sealink was taken over by Stena Line AB St Nicholas was transferred to a new Southampton Cherbourg service as the Stena Normandy in 1991 This route closed in 1996 and Tallink took her on charter in 1997 as the Normandy Irish Ferries took Normandy on charter for their Ireland France services in 1998 retaining the appropriate name Normandy was purchased by Irish Ferries in 1999 and continues to operate on this service A complete history of this ship is available on this link Official Tallink card of Normandy Produced by Niklas Vykort AB 811 Scan supplied by Mikael Blomberg Romantika Tallink 2002 The impressive cruise ferry Romantika was built by Aker Finnyards Finland in 2002 for the Helsinki Tallinn route She is 40000gross tons 189 9m in length and carries 2500 passengers 2250 berths and 1000 lanemetres of vehicles Photograph by Johan Snellman of Romantika under construction Aker Finnyards Finland Tallink Aker Finnyards invitation front to the naming of Romantika on 14 12 2001 Tallink Aker Finnyards invitation inside

    Original URL path: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Tallink.html (2016-02-15)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-18