web-archive-uk.com


Web directory, archive
Search web-archive-uk.com:


Find domain in archive system:
web-archive-uk.com » UK » T » THAXTED.CO.UK

Total: 694

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Thaxted Parish Church | Thaxted
    the two porches the King s and the Duke s for Edward the Fourth gave the one with his arms on it North porch and Lionel Duke of Clarence gave the other marked with his coronet South porch Both porches are vaulted and both have a spiral stair leading to a room above and ending in a turret The Church was built in the form of a cathedral with a fine crossing between the main body and the chancel The hexagonal pulpit with canopy and ogee shaped base dates from c 1680 The roof is early 16th century and comprises six bays The chancel is flanked by two side chapels The left or North side is dedicated to St Thomas of Canterbury and is generally called the Becket chapel The right or South side is dedicated to Jesus mother Mary and his maternal grandmother Ann Formally known as the chapel of Our Lady and Our Lady Anne it is generally called the Lady chapel The chapel in the south transept is dedicated to St Catherine of Alexandria who was condemned to death in 800AD nailed to a cart wheel The chapel in the north transept is dedicated to St Laurence deacon of Rome but has also been known as Trinity Aisle and the Singers Chapel Since 1858 the chapel has been the home of the Lincoln Organ The Stellar the great star shaped candelabra which hangs in the cross aisle was designed by the architect Randall Wells It was originally designed for St Mary s Church Primrose Hill London NW3 but was never erected there It has been in Thaxted Church since 1910 and tells the Christmas story Matthew 1 1 17 There are 42 lights made up of 3 x 14 There were 14 generations from Abraham to King David 14 generations from King David to the Flight into Egypt and 14 generations from the Flight into Egypt to the birth of Jesus Christ in Bethlehem The ball below the 42 lights symbolises the world therefore Jesus the Light of the World There are two organs the larger was built by Henry Lincoln in 1820 and came here from St John s Chapel Bedford Row London in 1858 The smaller Conrad Noel Memorial Organ beneath the tower arch was built in 1952 by Cedric Arnold with money raised on the death of the late Fr Conrad Noel vicar of Thaxted 1910 42 The organ built by Henry Lincoln around 1820 is now rarely played due to its failing condition and it is in need of restoration It was originally built for St John s Chapel Bedford Row London but moved to Thaxted in 1858 and was in active use here until the 1960s Over the 150 years in Thaxted the instrument has been little repaired and altered meaning that it offers a tremendous opportunity for restoration and use as a late Georgian organ If you would like to learn more about the Lincoln Organ Restoration Project or to make

    Original URL path: http://www.thaxted.co.uk/content/thaxted-parish-church?mini=calendar%2F2016-01 (2016-02-16)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Thaxted Parish Church | Thaxted
    chapels and the two porches the King s and the Duke s for Edward the Fourth gave the one with his arms on it North porch and Lionel Duke of Clarence gave the other marked with his coronet South porch Both porches are vaulted and both have a spiral stair leading to a room above and ending in a turret The Church was built in the form of a cathedral with a fine crossing between the main body and the chancel The hexagonal pulpit with canopy and ogee shaped base dates from c 1680 The roof is early 16th century and comprises six bays The chancel is flanked by two side chapels The left or North side is dedicated to St Thomas of Canterbury and is generally called the Becket chapel The right or South side is dedicated to Jesus mother Mary and his maternal grandmother Ann Formally known as the chapel of Our Lady and Our Lady Anne it is generally called the Lady chapel The chapel in the south transept is dedicated to St Catherine of Alexandria who was condemned to death in 800AD nailed to a cart wheel The chapel in the north transept is dedicated to St Laurence deacon of Rome but has also been known as Trinity Aisle and the Singers Chapel Since 1858 the chapel has been the home of the Lincoln Organ The Stellar the great star shaped candelabra which hangs in the cross aisle was designed by the architect Randall Wells It was originally designed for St Mary s Church Primrose Hill London NW3 but was never erected there It has been in Thaxted Church since 1910 and tells the Christmas story Matthew 1 1 17 There are 42 lights made up of 3 x 14 There were 14 generations from Abraham to King David 14 generations from King David to the Flight into Egypt and 14 generations from the Flight into Egypt to the birth of Jesus Christ in Bethlehem The ball below the 42 lights symbolises the world therefore Jesus the Light of the World There are two organs the larger was built by Henry Lincoln in 1820 and came here from St John s Chapel Bedford Row London in 1858 The smaller Conrad Noel Memorial Organ beneath the tower arch was built in 1952 by Cedric Arnold with money raised on the death of the late Fr Conrad Noel vicar of Thaxted 1910 42 The organ built by Henry Lincoln around 1820 is now rarely played due to its failing condition and it is in need of restoration It was originally built for St John s Chapel Bedford Row London but moved to Thaxted in 1858 and was in active use here until the 1960s Over the 150 years in Thaxted the instrument has been little repaired and altered meaning that it offers a tremendous opportunity for restoration and use as a late Georgian organ If you would like to learn more about the Lincoln Organ Restoration Project or

    Original URL path: http://www.thaxted.co.uk/content/thaxted-parish-church?mini=calendar%2F2016-03 (2016-02-16)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Thaxted Parish Church
    Our Lady and Our Lady Anne it is generally called the Lady chapel The chapel in the south transept is dedicated to St Catherine of Alexandria who was condemned to death in 800AD nailed to a cart wheel The chapel in the north transept is dedicated to St Laurence deacon of Rome but has also been known as Trinity Aisle and the Singers Chapel Since 1858 the chapel has been the home of the Lincoln Organ The Stellar the great star shaped candelabra which hangs in the cross aisle was designed by the architect Randall Wells It was originally designed for St Mary s Church Primrose Hill London NW3 but was never erected there It has been in Thaxted Church since 1910 and tells the Christmas story Matthew 1 1 17 There are 42 lights made up of 3 x 14 There were 14 generations from Abraham to King David 14 generations from King David to the Flight into Egypt and 14 generations from the Flight into Egypt to the birth of Jesus Christ in Bethlehem The ball below the 42 lights symbolises the world therefore Jesus the Light of the World There are two organs the larger was built by Henry Lincoln in 1820 and came here from St John s Chapel Bedford Row London in 1858 The smaller Conrad Noel Memorial Organ beneath the tower arch was built in 1952 by Cedric Arnold with money raised on the death of the late Fr Conrad Noel vicar of Thaxted 1910 42 The organ built by Henry Lincoln around 1820 is now rarely played due to its failing condition and it is in need of restoration It was originally built for St John s Chapel Bedford Row London but moved to Thaxted in 1858 and was in active use here

    Original URL path: http://www.thaxted.co.uk/print/content/thaxted-parish-church (2016-02-16)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Send page by email | Thaxted
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Sugar Beet Barn Dance 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Upcoming Events Saturday 19th Mar 2016 Twinning Bingo Night Thaxted Bowls Club 19 00 21 30 Home Send page by email Your email Your name Send to Enter multiple addresses separated by commas and or different lines Subject

    Original URL path: http://www.thaxted.co.uk/printmail/content/thaxted-parish-church (2016-02-16)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Windmill | Thaxted
    Easter to end of September Built in 1804 John Webb s Windmill is a tower mill and is the only remaining windmill in Thaxted This windmill is the largest and most advanced of all the Thaxted mills and it worked for a hundred years Built to satisfy a growing demand for flour at a time of agricultural expansion it was constructed from local materials with the bricks being made and fired half a mile away in the Chelmer valley John Webb owned the farmland on which the mill was built A gallery at first floor level surrounded the mill and was used for easy loading and unloading from carts and waggons but when the mill was first built it was from this gallery that the sweeps i e the sails were individually adjusted to suit the wind This was when spring sails were fitted Later these were replaced with patent sails and thereafter all four sails could be adjusted at one time by the use of an invention known as a spider which is a centrally controlled system of levers By 1907 the mill was uneconomic to work and when offered for auction it failed to sell For years it was a playground for local children until in the 1930s some repairs were carried out so that it could be used as a scout and youth centre By the late 1950s it was again derelict and in need of repair and so it remained until 1970 when a Trust was formed to restore the building and open it to the public as a rural museum Restoration work has been carried out in stages and in 1991 the sails were re erected and turned for the first time in almost 85 years In 1996 one set of stones were restored and

    Original URL path: http://www.thaxted.co.uk/content/windmill?mini=calendar%2F2016-01 (2016-02-16)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Windmill | Thaxted
    from Easter to end of September Built in 1804 John Webb s Windmill is a tower mill and is the only remaining windmill in Thaxted This windmill is the largest and most advanced of all the Thaxted mills and it worked for a hundred years Built to satisfy a growing demand for flour at a time of agricultural expansion it was constructed from local materials with the bricks being made and fired half a mile away in the Chelmer valley John Webb owned the farmland on which the mill was built A gallery at first floor level surrounded the mill and was used for easy loading and unloading from carts and waggons but when the mill was first built it was from this gallery that the sweeps i e the sails were individually adjusted to suit the wind This was when spring sails were fitted Later these were replaced with patent sails and thereafter all four sails could be adjusted at one time by the use of an invention known as a spider which is a centrally controlled system of levers By 1907 the mill was uneconomic to work and when offered for auction it failed to sell For years it was a playground for local children until in the 1930s some repairs were carried out so that it could be used as a scout and youth centre By the late 1950s it was again derelict and in need of repair and so it remained until 1970 when a Trust was formed to restore the building and open it to the public as a rural museum Restoration work has been carried out in stages and in 1991 the sails were re erected and turned for the first time in almost 85 years In 1996 one set of stones were restored

    Original URL path: http://www.thaxted.co.uk/content/windmill?mini=calendar%2F2016-03 (2016-02-16)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Windmill
    flour at a time of agricultural expansion it was constructed from local materials with the bricks being made and fired half a mile away in the Chelmer valley John Webb owned the farmland on which the mill was built A gallery at first floor level surrounded the mill and was used for easy loading and unloading from carts and waggons but when the mill was first built it was from this gallery that the sweeps i e the sails were individually adjusted to suit the wind This was when spring sails were fitted Later these were replaced with patent sails and thereafter all four sails could be adjusted at one time by the use of an invention known as a spider which is a centrally controlled system of levers By 1907 the mill was uneconomic to work and when offered for auction it failed to sell For years it was a playground for local children until in the 1930s some repairs were carried out so that it could be used as a scout and youth centre By the late 1950s it was again derelict and in need of repair and so it remained until 1970 when a Trust was formed to restore the building and open it to the public as a rural museum Restoration work has been carried out in stages and in 1991 the sails were re erected and turned for the first time in almost 85 years In 1996 one set of stones were restored and once again it c an claim to be a working mill capable of grinding grain into flour Since the work started well over 100 000 00 has been spend on the restoration of which some 70 has been raised by open days and fund raising with the balance coming from various

    Original URL path: http://www.thaxted.co.uk/print/content/windmill (2016-02-16)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Send page by email | Thaxted
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Sugar Beet Barn Dance 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Upcoming Events Saturday 19th Mar 2016 Twinning Bingo Night Thaxted Bowls Club 19 00 21 30 Home Send page by email Your email Your name Send to Enter multiple addresses separated by commas and or different lines

    Original URL path: http://www.thaxted.co.uk/printmail/content/windmill (2016-02-16)
    Open archived version from archive



  •  


web-archive-uk.com, 2017-12-16